Galavant (ABC TV Series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I could never get past the opening credits, I never managed to actually watch even part of an episode.

2. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

“You know, we met before at Lilith Fair :biglaugh:

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Heh, they didn't drop the ball on eunuch jokes! :D

gotityet0 likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I've never seen it. It looks good and I want to see it so bad.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    gotityet0 likes this.
  5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I actually tried to watch it and only lasted about 10 minutes. The show itself
    is actually MUCH WORSE than the trailer would lead you to believe.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

That's been my experience as well. The only redeeming thing for me has been the music, but as I said, that's maybe 5 minutes of each show, which is not enough to make me hold on.

Noted columnist Robert Elisberg has a much more positive review here, though he brings up some good points:

http://www.elisbergindustries.com/blog/still-galavanting-around

7. tcj

tcj Senior Member

It's ... okay. Not horrible, and Timothy Omundson is quite good, but there's something off about the timing of the humor in this show that makes it fall flat. It feels like they're treating it like a live studio audience show, where they build in some padding around jokes so the laughter can die off. Instead there are just weird pauses. My wife seems to like it so I suppose I'll be seeing the remaining episodes.

kevywevy and Vidiot like this.
  8. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

It's silly and fun. I like it for what it is.

Tjazz likes this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My family enjoyed the first two episodes ok, but the next two were pretty bad. I wish they would clean it up a little to make it a bit more family friendly. Modern Family, The Middle, and the Goldbergs hit the sweet spot between fun, funny, and family.

Allen Michael likes this.
  10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We've seen all 4 eps so far, and it's certainly not great - I've had a couple chuckles each episode, but nothing that's made me laugh-laugh.

Still, it's got potential. Timothy Omundson is doing a really good job in his role - by far our favorite performer in the series. Joshua Sasse in the lead has a good voice, and his comedic timing's pretty good. We thought Hugh Bonneville was great as the Pirate King - hope he comes back sometime.

I was telling my wife this COULD turn into a great vehicle for well-known stars to make cameos. If Galavant turned into something like that, it could become a real draw for viewers and performers alike. Just a thought.

We're going to keep watching, but it definitely needs to get better - snappier humor, better timing, more witty songs. That's a hard thing to do week-in and week-out.

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Here is a picture of guest star Weird Al Yankovic.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of guest star Ricky Gervais.

[​IMG]

12. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I watched the first episode. The only way this show could completely work was if it was a British production, they are the masters of this type of humor and sadly Galavant seems like a pale imitation. I give them props for trying something this outlandish on broadcast TV, but next time hire some Brits!

Allen Michael and gotityet0 like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I agree, if this had been a modern-day version of Monty Python, all shot in Britain with UK actors and writers, it might have gone somewhere. There's way too much "Disney & WB backlot" stuff going on in the show, way too "LA" for me.

Allen Michael and gotityet0 like this.
  14. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

:hide:I'm still watchin'

jriems and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Me too. This is turning out to be such a charming feel-good show even when the jokes don't totally land, as in ep 6. But when you have such engaging singing performances, especially by Karen David (Isabella) and lines like: "Gareth, I know you're not a hugger, but if you were, I would wrap myself around you like a leather jacket made of fluff", and guests like Rutger Hauer, it more than makes up for the occasional flat spot. And as for ep 5, that was just brilliant throughout.

gotityet0 likes this.
  16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I thought the appeal of 'Empire' was that it was a trashy soap-opera.

IIRC, it is the only show on one of the four major US networks where all of the major roles are African Americans. I'm surprised someone from the African American community hasn't criticized it for portraying and perpetrating negative stereotypes.

Back to 'Galavant'. Worst show of the decade? No. Despite its flaws, it's not even the worse show airing currently - not even close.

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I honestly think that "Empire" is modeled to mimic the successful formula of ABC's "Nashville." Which is possibly a trashy soap opera, depending on your view of soap opera itself. But like "Nashville" Fox's show has a music industry center, focuses on a family of performers, and also creates new music to showcase. It has played into the stereotypes of hip-hop gangsterism, and my one big disappointment about the show is that it seems to emphasize those elements. That's the biggest negative stereotype I see them using.

18. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

Worst thread title of the decade, perhaps. I am enjoying this. Found the last two episodes very (stupid) funny.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife had this on while waiting for the news...pretty strange...what's this Glee in Medieval Times?

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I couldn't watch it...the singing freaked me out.... one of the writers is smoking too much weed...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You're just not used to Brit-style humor.

22. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I watched the pilot, I think the writers aren't smoking quite enough weed for it to completely work. :D

Lonson and Allen Michael like this.
  23. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I think the show's gotten stronger since the pilot. The king is a hoot.

gotityet0 and Dr. Pepper like this.
  24. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Not the worst series of the decade, not even the worst show this month. I have enjoyed it.

25. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I liked it. I'd watch another 8 episode season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.