Game of Thrones Season 4 thread (starts Sunday, April 13 2014)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marblesmike, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mep

mep Forum Resident

That´s a weak spot in GoT sometimes. Like in the first or second season, when the audience first should not be quite sure about Brans fate - is he dead or alive ? It works perfectly in the book, but if you have a death offscreen in GoT - you can tell for sure it won´t be a real death...

2. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Follow the necklace.

Emmett66 and Ed Hughes like this.
  3. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Let's hope it remains a surprise, at least.

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They had a similar situation with Ser Barristan, the older knight who is traveling with Daenerys. In the book he is using an alias and it is not revealed until later who he is. But they had to drop that for the show because the audience can see him, so it's not going to be a surprise. (Although you have to wonder how many people would even have remembered Ser Barristan from the first season.)

5. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah I'm trying really hard not to spoil it!!!

6. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Please just keep the discussion to the show and what we've seen. I'm not interested in being told "look at this character" or "follow this" etc. by people who've read the books. This thread is for the tv show, not people who've already read the books.

7. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

By saying "oh you people that haven't read the books are going to be surprised" is by itself a spoiler. I've read the books several times but if I hadn't, that would be more information than I'd want.

Rufus McDufus, jriems and Aggie87 like this.
  8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yeah.

As a fan of the books, I've tried to my keep my posts spoiler free (and I apologize for any lapses). But this is a weird case in which it's unclear in some cases if certain posters are basing their cryptic (or not so cryptic) hints on book knowledge or instead just close examination of the episodes themselves.

There is a (dormant!) thread devoted to the books themselves. In it, any speculation about the show that's based on knowledge of the books is completely welcome:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-of-thrones-books-by-george-rr-martin.307253/

Aggie87 likes this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Haven't read, don't plan to (for now) and I don't know who killed Joffrey, so I'm just speculating, not spoiling here.

I've watched the last sequence a few times, and I'm not sure the cup Sansa gives Tyrion when he is under the table is the same one Joffrey drinks from right before he starts choking. It looked like he might have grabbed another cup, one near Margery. Was maybe Cersei or someone trying to kill her instead?

The pie could have been it, though I too thought the dead dove was from the sword. It was bloody, not just dead.

I did think it was Sansa at first. Didn't she get some poison back in season 2 right before the big battle? It was to take herself should the forces of Stanis win, but for a bit I thougtht maybe she had it all this time and used it. But the cup she handed to Tryion was empty, so it would have been pretty obvious if there was something in it when Tryion gave the cup to Joffrey at first, before there was any wine in it. So I don't think it was her, though her pulling off the killing of Joffrey would have been pretty cool.

Olena is a possibility, maybe thinking that they can just wed Margery to Tommen and still have a Queen but with a less mad king. Probably not, though.

Prince Oberyn?

Can't wait to find out!

10. marblesmike

All I said was watch the episode again if you want more clues. You don't need to have read the books to pick up on the clues so that's not a spoiler at all. You could have gotten the same info by reading interviews with the cast and crew.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  11. marblesmike

BS. I didn't reveal anything by saying that. People need to chill.

12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Gotta say I'm loving the show's interpretation of Prince Oberyn, and his scene with Tywin and Cersei was SPECTACULAR. Prior to the show airing I pictured him differently (older, at the very least) but I think the show hit a home run with their casting here.

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

GoT has achieved such cultural cachet that's it's virtually impossible to read anything the day after an episode is broadcast without risking a spoiler. I didn't catch Sunday's episode until Monday evening, and I already knew that big things were coming simply by scanning the headlines at several mainstream news sites. People who had read the books dropping "hints" is just as infuriating.

Aggie87 likes this.
  14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

My personal attitude: I know for the first two seasons, I was at the mercy of the DVD/BR release schedule. Starting with season three, I started watching it with friends who subscribed to HBO, but I try not to forget that many people don't always have that opportunity. That said, a thread like this may be able to reasonably exclude book spoilers, but once the episode itself airs I think it's pretty much fair game. Short of having multiple threads on the show, it's hard to imagine how it would be manageable otherwise.

Incidentally, I suspect the ratings for the show are vastly understated. Aside from the folks who pirate it or watch it with shared HBOgo passwords, I strongly suspect there are lots of GoT viewing parties out there, probably moreso than most any other show out there. Not sure that Neilson is set up to capture this particular phenomenon.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  15. marblesmike

Then don't read threads on messageboards about Game of Thrones until you're current. It's pretty simple bud.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  16. DreadPikathulhu

Unfortunately, HBO's outdated subscription model has created a monster. I keep hoping they'll see the light and release it to streaming services at the same time it's broadcast instead of making fans without cable either resort to piracy or a DVD release months after the fact.

17. DreadPikathulhu

I don't. But when you open up CNN.com the day after and see the headline "Game of Thrones: Who did it?" and an article that spoils the entire episode in the second paragraph it's pretty difficult. All we're asking is for people who have read the books to not drop hints. Everyone should get the same thrill you did when you first read/watched a major plot point.

18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

This. Within this particular thread, everyone needs to keep the commentary about the TV series only. Once an episode airs, it's totally fine to discuss it here. If you know what's coming from reading the books, however, please just keep it to yourself - again, within this particular thread.

DreadPikathulhu and Aggie87 like this.
  19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yeah. That sucks. I remember the same thing happened to me with The Sixth Sense, when some TV host (I think it was some news personality) used the big twist of the movie as a metaphor for some current story before I'd seen the film. Really pissed me off!

20. It was Walter White with the ricin!

21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Now THAT would be a twist.

22. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Better call Saul.

23. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Olenna Tyrell said like two things and they were both amazing. She's just the best, I want her to be my grandma.

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Perhaps a better grandmother than mother. Certainly doesn't seem to treat her son with much regard.

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I watched it again last night and really didn't notice anything I didn't see first time...

For a poison to act that fast it would have had to been in the wine I think... Pie was so big it would have been hard to poison just one person with it.

I haven't read more than first book if Sansa did it I'm fine with it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.