Game of Thrones Season 4 thread (starts Sunday, April 13 2014)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marblesmike, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Why not? She wants to be THE queen.

2. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

If it was she, the motivation could derive from that conversation she and Margaery had with Sansa where they got her to reveal that Joffrey is a horrible brutal person.
    Even though the marriage is about politics, perhaps she wouldn't want to condemn her granddaughter to a life of victimhood.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  3. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Well regicide ain't easy.
    Look how long the Mad King Aerys was burning people and going crazy until it took a whole war to get rid of him.

4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

True. Tommen looks about 12 or so, and people married early in the middle ages. I don't think Margaery is going anywhere.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Who are you guys referring to as "Queen of Thorns"?

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Joffrey is one of the most irredeemable characters ever. Seriously, think about it: in the entire show does he ever do one solitary thing which is kind or compassionate? He's a total dick.

That said, he was played well by the actor that portrayed him. That had to have been a fun role.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Margaery's mother Lady Olenna Tyrell, aka Dame Diana.

[​IMG]

8. agentalbert

Thanks. I hadn't noticed her being called that before. Another question about her - is her husband alive? She's talked about him a few times, but in a dismissive way. Wasn't sure if he was dead or just not around and not as involved as her. Was that bald-ish guy with the purple top who appeared a few times during the episode her husband and also Margaery's father?

9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe her husband has been dead a while. She's Margaery's grandmother, so that guy you're talking about (Mace Tyrell) is her son and Margaery's dad.

10. agentalbert

Got it, thanks. I know I can look this stuff up on GoT Wiki and what not, but those usually show the fate of characters, and so I've learned to avoid them after unintentionally spoiling things for myself in the past.

11. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

D'oh, of course! I got that wrong.

12. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Yeah the interesting thing about the Tyrell dynamic is that Mace Tyrell, the fat doofus so casually dismissed by Olenna, is actually the head of the house and therefore, in theory, should be the 3rd most powerful individual in Westeros (after the king and Tywin). But the Tyrells seem to be some sort of matriarchy.

13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Game of Thrones/Frozen Mashup

14. Spoiler:

You’re on the right track but she had some assistance.

End of spoiler.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm really enjoying The Hound and Arya together....

16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

No one character gets a great deal of screen time per episode.

17. DreadPikathulhu

After the previous episode, the last one was a bit of a let down. Too bad they can't kill off Joffrey every week.

18. agentalbert

I didn't think it was a let down. I like how Tywin moved to neutralize the potential thread of Oberon by danging something he wants. He's stacked the jury for Tyrion's trial so that he can make sure it comes out the way he wants. We don't really know what that is yet, but I imagine he views it as an opportunity to rid himself of Tyrion without looking like a heartless father. The imp killed his grandson, the king, so he can dispatch of Tyrion with just cause. And Oberon, as much as he hates the Lannisters, can't really say no to a potential chance to get revenge against the man who murdered his sister.

I enjoy the Hount/Arya scenes, but its gone on awhile and I'm kinda ready to see her move on to something else, or go way off screen while she presumably tracks down the face-shifting assassin and learns from him.

Good ending with Daenerys tossing the collars into the city. Though I wanted to see the slaves turn on their masters and slaughter them. Every epsiode leaves you wanting more.

The wildling storyline is the least interesting to me. I get they can be an interesting monkey wrench in the plans of everyone trying to rule or get on the throne, but like the citizens of Westeros, I just view them as a nuisance I'd prefer stay out of sight and above the wall.

19. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

And whatever scene they show up in contains dialogue which I find too expository. There is not a lot of time to spend on building nuance in terms of character development. It's quickly having the character directly tell us their intentions aaaaand we are on to the next scene.

20. DreadPikathulhu

I don't disagree. It's just that coming off of Joffrey's death, nothing is going to be quite as exciting for a few episodes.

The Hound/Arya stuff is getting old. It reminds me of the Jaime/Brienne stuff from last season. I would like them to have a map so they can get where they are going soon.

I suppose the wildling story line will culminate as the big threat that ends the season.

21. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I re-watched the last episode again tonight. This is a very transitional episode - it gets characters moved around to set the scene for (hopefully) next week's fireworks. I have to say that my favorite scene for this past episode was Tyrion & Podrick's scene in the jail cell. Podrick's character sure has grown on me more than I thought it would.

22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Agreed. That was a great scene.

xdawg likes this.
  23. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

My favorite scene was Tywin educating his grandson.

I'm always kind of fascinated by Machiavellian political cold manipulators- like I actually read The Prince and a bunch of stuff about Nixon, etc.
    Tywin is primarily based on Edward I of Britain, aka "longshanks," aka the villain king in Braveheart. He put down a rebellion of barons during the reign of his father, Henry III, who was perceived as weak, as well.

Charles Dance is absolutely slaying the role with every single syllable he utters. Even in this deleted scene:

As soon as he asks Tommen "what makes a good king?" I was on the edge of my seat. This is the kind of thing I LOVE exploring via fantasy fiction. What a wonderful way to get into the mythology of the series, the themes underlying the story, and all three characters on screen.

The best summary of that scene I read on the internet was "dude told his grandson: your dead bro right here was a crap king, you'd be smart to do as I say, here's where babies come from."

I also don't think that exchange was in the book. Tywin has been made more prominent in the show and that is a great great adaptation choice.

Unfortunately the joy of that part was immediately followed by the single worst/gross/uncomfortable/wtf moment in the whole series thus far.

ex_mixer and xdawg like this.
  24. DreadPikathulhu

I'm pretty sure that Tywin was involved in the death of Joffrey, with the help of several other people to give him plausible deniability.

25. agentalbert

Ehh. So far, I don't think anything has been more uncomfortable than watching Roos flay Theon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.