Game of Thrones Season Five! No Spoilers Please!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

All I'll say is that Sansa's story is consolidating with anothers', but adding some big wrinkles. In the book Ramsay is to marry who they believe is Arya and Theon plays a role in how that unfolds.

This site is like a cliff notes for the book series and an amazing reference to everything going on and the history of all characters, houses, and Westeros. Great reading if you need backstory or just want the knowledge.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

What do you mean? The book series hasn't finished just yet. An excerpt from the one he's currently writing was recently released. In that, Sansa was in the Eyrie taking care of Robin.

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Unless I'm reading it wrong, I detect considerable sarcasm in Godshifter's post.

GodShifter likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Quite a bit. Yes.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

He's not implying that ALL the books have been finished, he's asking if it's OK to offer info from the existing books which differs from the narrative of the TV show.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Ah, I misread.

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Is there a 'time-frame'?

edit:
    Got it!
    Timeline of major events - A Wiki of Ice and Fire - A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  7. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Please, no book spoilers here. Please?

Don't care if the book and the show diverge. They may re-merge later in some fashion, who knows.

8. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

What Aggie said. Please extend the NO SPOILERS also to comparisons with the books. Keep the discussion to the HBO series. For those who want to discuss the books I think it's best to start a new thread for that.
    Thanks. :)

GodShifter likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No worries, I'll stay out of the discussion altogether.

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Ok, I lied. I'll ask this question and bow out.

From the TV series, who would you rank as your two favorite characters? I know Tyrion, Arya, and Jon will rank very, very high but mine might surprise you. I'll give you mine after a sufficient amount of time.

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Speaking as someone who has read book four but not book five, I'm happy to get insights from those that have read more. Let's face it, the HBO series is its own entity, largely divergent from Martin's creation at this point. I'm very interested to learn more about the editorial changes that the show runners have made.
    Interesting question. Slimy though he may be, I actually like Littlefinger quite a bit. He's a clever manipulator who rose up solely through the strength of his wits. He's like the proverbial scorpion--you can pretty much count on him to sting you if it's in his best interests. I've grown to like Jamie pretty well. After a darker start in the first book, he's become considerably more sympathetic after all of his travails. Varys is a favorite of mine, another sharp player, though I can't quite fathom why he's gone so far to help Tyrion after his impulsive murder of his father (I love the little guy, but I'm still having trouble with his behavior there. Say what you will about Tywin, but he was a very sensible, pragmatic ruler, IMO, unlike his daughter. By taking his father out, Tyrion has doomed Westeros to more chaos and unrest, though it may well prove to be for the best ultimately.). I have a certain amount of appreciation for Stannis' dogged pursuit of the throne and his sense of personal honor, but his alliance with the red witch has encouraged him to make some questionable decisions. I kind of like Brienne, though I find her devotion to following through on her commitment to the now dead Catelyn Stark's wishes to be hard to fathom. Obviously, the Stark girls aren't interested in her assistance at this point, so maybe she needs to find her own purpose.

On the downside, I can't stand Cersei, particularly in the books (as I mentioned previously, they seem to be trying to make her a little more sympathetic in the shows now). Of course, I hate Walder Frey and Roose Bolton for their betrayal at the Red Wedding, though I tend to view Bolton more as a cold hearted, Tywin-style pragmatist. From his perspective, you could argue that Robb was misleading the forces of the north and Roose was wise to make common cause with the Lannisters. Ramsay, on the other hand, is a complete pig--I want to see that cruel little bastard suffer! I'm kind of mixed on Dany. I respect her strength for charting her own course, but she still has some learning to do before she assumes power.

Bender Rodriguez and GodShifter like this.
  12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Oy, my top two? Still alive? Perhaps Bran and Jaime Lannister. Oberyn would rank in my top 5; sometimes I'll visit youtube and watch the fight with The Mountain. I always wish Oberyn had just dealt the death blow and gone on with his badass life. I love Arya, but I think we're just getting into the meat of her story.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Are they? I need to re-watch. I thought they showed them overlooking Moat Callin and talking about it and then entering there. I didn't realize they went to Winterfell.

14. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

My understanding is that Moat Callin is on the way to Winterfell. This would be confirmed by Brean telling Pod they would be taking the long way around because she knew where Sansa and Littlefinger were headed (Winterfell).

15. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Is the red priestess we saw in the current episode of the same 'group' as the Red Witch? Or is it just a coincidence there are two red types of mystics?

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, its on the way there if you look at a map and I do remember Brienne saying that. I just never realized that they went through Moat Callin and went to Winterfell.

They are followers of the same religion.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  17. Tristero

So Jon Snow brings down the big sword on the cowardly Janos Slynt, much to grim Stannis' approval. I wasn't sure that he'd go through with it once Slynt started begging, but I guess there was no turning back at that point. He had openly challenged Jon's authority. Snow is quickly establishing himself as a firm but fair leader, but will he give in to the pressure to get involved in Westeros' political power struggles? And what will he do with the Wildling prisoners? Send them back over the wall or encourage them to go to work for Stannis?

I loved Tommen's not so subtle attempts to ship his mom back home. "Boy, you must really miss Casterly Rock, aye?" "No, my home is with my family." "But you really hate it here, right, with all the foul smells and phony people. I just want you to be happy (while I get back to getting busy with my gorgeous young wife)."

mikeyt, Rufus McDufus and vince like this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

After Margaery skillfully planted those seeds into his mind in post coital pillow talk.

19. vince

So, here's a question:
    Is that guy Aryia & the 'mean girl' are washing the same guy who died after drinking the water Mr. 'A Man' gave him, or a different guy?

20. Tristero

Yeah, Margaery came off looking a lot more conniving in this latest episode, while Cersei seemed almost sympathetic for a change. That's a pretty significant shift from the book, but I guess it's for the best that they're trying to make Cersei less of a heartless cartoon villain.

21. dkmonroe

My current favorite character (or rather my favorite of them that are left) is Brienne of Tarth. I have sympathy for her seemingly doomed quest. She's the only real knight in the Seven Kingdoms.

As a sidebar, in the imminent clash between Margery and Cersei, I'm rooting for Cersei. Margerey's insolent taunting in the last episode just ticked me off! :laugh:

GodShifter likes this.
  22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Fairly sure it was a different guy. The dude that received the water at the beginning was shown being carted away shortly after he knelt before the leaky chick god statue.

23. vince

[QUOTE="dkmonroe, post: 12253888, member: 2969"

As a sidebar, in the imminent clash between Margery and Cersei, I'm rooting for Cersei. Margerey's insolent taunting in the last episode just ticked me off! :laugh:[/QUOTE]
    That conversation.... so good! You can help but laugh... Hope some one makes a You Tube of it with 'What They're REALLY Thinking' sub-titles at the bottom!

dkmonroe likes this.
  24. dkmonroe

We're past due for another "Bad Lip-reading" take on GoT! :laugh:

25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I can't imagine a turn of events in which I could ever root for Cersei, no matter how insolent and manipulative her daughter in law may be, she's got it coming. I doubt she'll need your sympathy though, especially now that she's got the Sparrows as her personal holy army. It would give much pleasure to see King Tommen assert his authority, but I'm not holding my breath.

mikeyt, jriems and dkmonroe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.