Game of Thrones Season Five! No Spoilers Please!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Margaery has always been pretty slick, though that's not the word I want to use as it has a negative connotation. She very skillfully handled Joffrey, pushing just the right buttons with him. She hasn't been at this nearly as long as Cersei, so while I don't want anything bad to happen to Margaery, I fear Cersei will get the better of her somehow. Margaery can be manipulative, but we haven't seen any trace of malevolence like there clearly is with Cersei.

dkmonroe likes this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

What I currently dislike about Margerey is, she's stupid. She's been plopped down into a position of real power and privilege and she uses it to torment one of the most dangerous and vindictive personalities in the kingdom. It's only reasonable that she should use her wiles to get Tommen to encourage Cersei to trip off to Casterly Rock and spend her dotage there, but to get into Cersei's face like she did is unforgiveable hubris. I don't think she is the "young queen" of the prophecy, assuming prophecy even means anything in the GoT universe. I think she's going down! :evil:

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

So do we think it might be a good idea to start another thread for people who have read the books? I haven't yet read book five, but I find that it's interesting to discuss the changes between the books and the show and I feel like I have to keep holding my tongue to keep from revealing too much. . .

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I concur.... call it "TV show deviations from the "GOT" books"!

5. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Start one,I'd be interested.

6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

So Stannis Baratheon told Jon Snow that he's riding on Winterfell "in a fortnight", I don't suppose they can put off that confrontation for too many more episodes?

7. Tristero

I'm wondering him and what army because after his defeat at the Battle of Blackwater, Stannis doesn't have all that many resources left. Either he needs to get the wildlings on his side or he needs support from other northern houses that were loyal to the Starks.

8. misterdecibel

And he's got two weeks to assemble all this?

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Jeez... it looked like he had TONS of people when he captured Mans Raider.... where are THEY??

GodShifter and dkmonroe like this.
  10. dkmonroe

Didn't Stannis arrive at the Wall with an army? I don't quite remember all the circumstances from last season but I do remember that when Stannis arrived I was thinking, "Oh, so he's got an army now - didn't see that coming!" And I thought there was some explanation for it.

11. dkmonroe

Yeah, I figured he wanted the Wildlings to join him because he could always use more archer fodder but not because he was short of men.

12. Tristero

I'm guessing that Stannis' attack on Winterfell may be at the climax of this season, but yeah, it does seem unrealistic. A lot of the action seems more compressed on the show compared to Martin's leisurely pacing.
    It wasn't so much that he had a huge army, but they were a lot better trained and equipped than the wildlings.

13. agentalbert

Gosh, "torment" is awful strong. She hasn't done much at all. She politely needled her in this past episode. Contrast that with things Cersei has said to Margaery, such as "call me mother again, and I'll kill you". Or was it "call me sister,..."? It was something like that.

brew ziggins likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

I just didn't want to use the word, "taunt" again, because I'd already used it. :laugh:

Cersei has earned her evilness, Margerey's a dilettante. That's my problem with her. :laugh:

15. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Stannis secured a loan from the Iron Bank of Braavos to fund his army last season.

GodShifter, Deesky, mikeyt and 3 others like this.
  16. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Someone quickly figured out the number of men in Stannis' army from screen caps of the attack on Raider. Looks like around 3,300 men. Of course, this could simply be a single battalion or something - just enough to render the attack on Raider quick and surgical. The remainder of his army is likely camped north/south of the wall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I agree. Margery seems kind of likeable. Likeable characters do not tend to fare well in GoT. I fear for Brienn's fate as well :laugh:

dkmonroe and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  18. agentalbert

Can someone clarify for me what assignment Jon Snow was giving Janos Slynt that so upset him? Was he sending him to re-open one of the closed posts?

I like hearing about differences between the books and the series, but it would probably be a good idea to confine that to resolved storylines - like Shae's death, or Tywin's death, the Red Wedding, etc. So talking about what happens to Sansa in the books, while it is interesting, could very well turn out to be a spoiler. We don't know where the show is going, and where it diverges from the book it may swing back and match up later. So in my opinion it would be nice to not reveal how those plots play out here.

19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I have a feeling that once winter really starts to hit and the White Walkers become a big time threat, the petty political stuff will fall by the wayside. I have some theories about the role Jon Snow will play in all of that.

I think Margaery is a little older than Tommen. He's doing pretty well for himself! I'd want to keep busy with that, too.

To rebuild and hold an abandoned, dilapidated, post that's a bit far from Castle Black.

20. dkmonroe

Yes, he was sending him to assist with re-opening Castle Greyguard. Slynt thought it was beneath his dignity to be sent to rebuild a ruin.

21. misterdecibel

"Greyguard is a castle along the Wall abandoned by the Night's Watch. It has largely collapsed.[1] It has been abandoned for two hundred years.[2] It lies west of Stonedoor and east of Sentinel Stand."

dkmonroe likes this.
  22. agentalbert

Thanks for the info on Gregyard. Is that the one that Bran, Rickon, Osha and Hodor were hiding out in briefly?

23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Well you want to talk books -- in the books Tommen is only 10 or so! So the whole scene where they were in bed was pretty weird for book readers.

In real life Natalie Dormer is 32 and Tommen's actor 17 so it must have been rather weird for them too.

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Harington said in an interview this week that he was uncomfortable doing this scene -- it echoed the activities of ISIS for him.

25. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I have to say that was pretty ballsy on Slint's part considering he had already been called out for hiding in the storage room with Sam's girlfriend during the wildling assault. He was lucky he hadn't already lost his head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.