Game of Thrones Season Five! No Spoilers Please!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think there's a lot more wrong with him and the sparrows than just that. I think he went Carrie Nation on King's Landing too, didn't he? The sparrows bragged about filling the gutters with booze. They imprison people for more than just gay sex.

I've always really liked Stannis too. But I don't know that you can burn Melisandre and let Stannis off the hook for her.

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That was another completely ridiculous scene. That was like something from the 1966 Batman TV series but with nudity. "Oh, Batman! Yoo Hoo! I've poisoned you with a slow-acting venom but I conveniently carry the antidote around on my charm bracelet! Just say I'm the Fairest Of Them All and I'll give you a taste!" :laugh:

John Moschella and Tristero like this.
  3. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

It was corny but she is very well built....

The whole Dorne storyline is lame.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Actually, it was more subtle than you give it credit for, though at first blush it did seem exploitative. The point was that the poison was slow acting and Bronn wasn't feeling any ill effects until the sand snake significantly raised his...metabolism, which in turn accelerated the effects of the poison. Things are not always as they seem.

5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I'm not sure anyone's arguing differently (?). The change has been noticeable though. Enough that it elicited comments in this thread. The thing that changed is her level of fame. When she wasn't, she did nude scenes as required. When she became famous, she stopped. It was noticeable.

marblesmike and Deesky like this.
  6. dkmonroe

I think you give the scene too much credit. What you describe seems to be an interesting aspect of the scene but it still remains both comical and somewhat lacking in significance. Maybe in the next few episodes we'll find some brilliant clue to the character's motivation, but it seemed like a stunt to me.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They did it so Bronn would owe them something.

dkmonroe and Centurion like this.
  8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The interpretation I gave makes perfect sense given the known nature of the poison, human physiology and Bronn's subsequent indebtedness to make him a likely future ally. I guess we see what we want to see.

Bender Rodriguez and Centurion like this.
  10. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

I'd like to add that i'm very glad they chose to keep using Bronn in the series, he's a great character. I wonder how this will play out? Is there a possibility of Bronn helping the sisters escape, and in return receiving their help with rescuing Myrcella (and Jaime) ? Three episodes left to go..

11. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Singing at the top of his lungs didn't increase his metabolism?
    It was a lame scene unless her only motivation was to get Bronn on their side.
    Even then it was poorly written.

dkmonroe likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Why would t? It sounded pretty sedate to me, not to mention it being qualitatively different to sexual arousal, a primal urge.

13. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Sure. Certainly I was messing around.
    Obviously if the Sparrows were real I'd be horrified by them. Not a fan of religious fanatics IRL.
    It is, however, lovely to hear his strong convictions against the arrogance and profligacy of the ruling classes.
    The Sparrows are kind of like William Jennings Bryant here in the States at the turn of the last century- emotionally powerful and justified righteous rage against the moneyed classes, but mixing economic populism with strict, oppressive religious doctrines of temperance and "traditional morality." Even our suffrage movement- in hindsight one of the most important, beneficial civil rights revolutions- was paired intimately with prohibition- in hindsight, one of the most disastrous, failed policy movements of that same generation.

One of Martin's most famous interviews about his book series is how he talks about what happens after Lord of the Rings- what is Aragorn's tax policy? Does he wage a genocidal campaign against the surviving orcs or let those inherently hostile creatures roam the land in what was supposed to "100 years of peace?" Game of Thrones is this weird, awkward mix of fantasy nonsense and realpolitik, which is what makes it so fun to chat about.

Deesky, Rufus McDufus and agentalbert like this.
  14. Agreed, she might have killed him!

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

It's a question of: How are 'they' (Cersi & The Terells) gonna get outta THIS ONE!
    Even Tommin's in trouble if the Sparrows are in control!

SEVEN GODS, it's gonna take MORE that two more seasons to resolve all this to MY satisfaction!

PS; re: the prediction dept.; IF Stannis refuses to sacrifice 'his blood', will this be the end for him?

16. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

That edit with the swords cracks me up every single time...:laugh:

17. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Word.

18. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I find the Dorne stuff pretty uninteresting as well. I'm mostly following Tyrion, Cersei, and Reek.

19. dkmonroe

Now THAT is a reasonable explanation.

20. dkmonroe

Not mentioned in your first explanation.

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Love Bronn. Curious to see what happens with him.

Seems like Jamie is being treated very well.

22. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

So why did Melisandre want to sacrifice Shireen when she could have used Maester Aemon's blood? Did everyone forget he was a Targaryen with the blood of the dragon in his veins?

23. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

Apologies for the triple post. Once was quite enough..

24. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

She hasn't said what she's going to do with this blood yet. Remember she used Gendry's (sp?) blood without killing him (I'm guessing Stannis wouldn't object to drawing a little bit of Shirene's blood without seriously harming her).

That's the thing with magic- they story creators can just make up anything that's plot convenient because MAGIC.

I also wouldn't be surprised if folks indeed did forget about Aemon's lineage. He didn't talk about it much and who, outside of Castle Black, cares or knows what goes on in there? Remember it was a big surprise to Jon Snow when he found out and he actually knew some Nightswatch people before joining. Melisendre is from like the farthest known part of the world (Asha, aaaalllll the way east in Essos).

25. dkmonroe

I suspect that Melisandre wants to separate Stannis from everything that could distract him from her agenda. He must be aware of Stannis' regard for his daughter even though she was not present for the speech a couple of episodes ago where Stannis made that plain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.