Game of Thrones Season Five returns Sunday, April 12, 2015!* *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

yea, well I did not get a chance to start one..thanks!

2. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Just watchED the ten S3 eps: 7pm-4am + deletED scenes till twenty after.
    Fast pacED & addictive too say the least!
    The photography seemED a bit better; esp w/close-ups, maybe because of lighting. Just seemED like more "magic-hour(s)" golden tones than B4 & foregrounds more lit.
    Like Robb Stark at the window B4 admonishing his Uncle EDmure:

WatchED S1E1 for the umpteenth time on Sunday, so it hasn't been like forever since i'd seen any previous seasons.

Will there be anyone left for the finale?!?!
    JJ

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Wouldn't even bet on HBO being able too finish the producer's wished for eight seasons.
    She's supposed too be: virgin-princess, horse-heart eater, survivor of fire, liberator of slaves [so they can die for her instead of their masters], & act w/dragons among other things.
    Not saying she's GREAT; just a lot too portray & she lOOks GREAT doing it!
    Sansa is 14 in S3 & was shown too be spoiled & selfish; hence her sister's distain. Think the actor is doing OK w/the part.
    Butt hay, w/such a GREAT cast all around avg is going too stick out like a sore thumb!!

4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

5. Michael

she's the Dragon Lady!...I find myself enjoying her parts in the story best.

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

:shh:

Michael likes this.
  7. Michael

Hey! I did not mean it that way!:D

8. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Lol! Hey I wouldn't mind.:agree: Seriously,just received season 3 on Blu-ray I'll be watching that soon as i finish up season 2 of House of Cards. Looking forward to season 4 of GoT.

mikeyt and Michael like this.
  9. Michael

my wife and I love this show...yes, she is a looker! my favorite.:)
    me too!

10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

This season i agree (and there sure are a LOT of highly enjoyable story-lines & characters/last night did a 'Dana's Greatest Hits' only viewing [B4 even reading this] from the S3 box & was thinking what a GREAT idea it would be when the "complete" box set came out too do a continuous storyline feature with many of the characters*).
    S1 it was just an "Ogle Fest" [TM] for me when she was on the screen. :drool:
    +
    Luv'd the scene when Rigg out dinks Dinklage!
    His reaction too getting out maneuvered is priceless; the show was sooooo lucky too get him!!
    Known of his talent since "Siskel & Ebert" reviewED "The Station Agent" [2003], who knew another GREAT part awaited him!!!

EDitEDbyED:
    * such as "Sam's Sojourn" [TM] ha, ha!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

and she is the icing on the cake if I say so myself!
    I agree! She and Peter are our favorite characters on the show...and yes, I loved The Station Agent...

BIG ED likes this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

So I finally made it to the end of Season 3 last night. I haven't had HBO for a while, so I've been watching it over at a friend's place. This is the first time that I've read the book before seeing the show, so this really skewed my perception of things. I kept finding myself saying "That didn't happen in the book!". But certainly in comparison to the first season--which tracked fairly closely to the source material for the most part--they've definitely been straying further and further from Martin's books. The show really is a distinctly different entity at this point, so I guess we just to have to judge it on its own merits. . .

But there's something I have to get off my chest and I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseum already--I haven't read through the entire thread--but I found the endless torture sequences with Theon and Bolton's bastard to be really grueling, gratuitous and pointless. (Theon is barely even mentioned in the third book. Is this stuff alluded to in the fourth book, or did the writers on the show come up with all of this themselves?) I have a pretty strong stomach for movie/tv violence--I can handle the dark stuff if I feel that it's being explored intelligently, but there needs to be some kind of pay off. This stuff just went on and on in the most sadistic fashion, but it never leads anywhere. What was the point? Are we supposed to feel sorry for Theon now, after all the rotten things he did? I actually liked what they did with his character in the first two seasons, despite the fact that he turned out to be such a $hit, but I really had trouble watching the scenes with him and the bastard after a while (Showing him making a big show of eating that sausage last night was particularly tasteless. Stay classy, Game of Thrones!). The whole thing really left a bad taste in my mouth and it made me question the judgment of the show runners. Then finally at the end, we see his sister boldly stand up to her father, running off to save him after he completely screwed up by trying to occupy Winterfell. Why? She barely even knows him, so it's not like they had some deep connection, and she seemed to have a pretty good, pragmatic head on her shoulders. Why would she risk so much to save that wretch? It felt false and contrived to me.

I'm honestly not sure how much further I'm going to go with Game of Thrones. I was pretty into it for a while, but I've heard that the next two books aren't so great--the idea of getting chapters and chapters told from Cersei's perspective, one of my least favorite characters, isn't that appealing--and the show seems to be going off the rails now. Like I say, I often go for the darker stuff, but entertainment shouldn't be punishing like this.

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Theon disappears for a long time in the books. When he resurfaces, his backstory is filled in and yes, he was held prisoner and tortured as the show describes. The show told it in real time because they didn't want to lose the actor for so long (and because they don't do flashbacks), but they did have the problem that the rest of the story needs to catch up before his plot line can move forward, so it ended up getting repetitive.

14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well, I guess Martin gets the blame then. He's increasingly coming off like some kind of cruel god, sadistically punishing his characters and the readers. The body count in book three alone boggles the mind.

15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The Ramsay character is a key villain going forward. And Theon returns to the story as a grovelling, broken, pathetic creature. So I think they felt they had to show how he would have gotten that way, and establish just how awful and crazy Ramsay is.

I was listening to the commentary track on one episode and one of the writers was saying she had argued there were too many torture scenes, so it was a controversial issue within the production too. Though I think it was probably only five scenes or so in actuality.

There's no question though that Martin goes overboard with the cruelty. The show actually softens the amount of rape, murder, carnage etc that happens in the novels considerably.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  16. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I just watched S3 three over the last couple of days and it was great, as expected. After having read all 5 books recently, I have to say that the TV show is simply better in pretty much every regard. It seems as if every alteration, every shortening or condensing of severeal characters in one improves the story-telling. I can't wait to see how the next seasons will repair the many shortcomings of book 4 and 5.

17. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Theon does not appear in Book 4 (neither do a lot of characters) but returns in Book 5 (which is contemporaneous with Book 4) while Season 3 of Game of Thrones is mostly the first half of Book 3.

It can get confusing ... :sigh:

--Geoff

18. Michael

no problem for those who did not read the books...just go with the flow.

19. Michael

I'm sure we will enjoy 4 & 5! I have no complaints whatsoever...

20. Michael

GAMES OF THRONES RETURNS APRIL 12 SUNDAY!

21. It's been a long wait.

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

yes, way too long...then a few shows and another long wait. I miss the old days when we got 2 or 3 times the episodes per season!

23. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Quality over quantity.

24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

During the off season, who among you learned to speak Dothraqi?

Yes, there is a "kit" you can buy online to learn to speak it. No, I don't have it. All the Dothraqis in my neighborhood were forced out by the home owner's association -- something about too much horse manure in the streets, etc.

25. Michael

OMG! that's great! link please...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.