Game of Thrones - Season VII - July 16-2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

With the heavy armor and only one good hand, I think he'll need to be rescued. Not that they might not have him just snap to and swim to the surface. But my eyes are prepared to roll a bit if he gets out of this on his own.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Even before the "idiot" comments, they were clearly showing some ambivalence on Tyrian's part at seeing the slaughter of his own people. Was the "idiot" bit too heavy handed in making the point that he still cares about his brother? Maybe, but I was ok with it.

DPM likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...AND, BRON!

4. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I thought the "idiot" comment was appropriate and worked well. His few words said a lot.

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It goes without saying that Tyrion has much love for his brother. If that was the only reason for the "idiot" comments, I'm p*ssed. It had better foreshadow something really serious, like Tyrion recusing himself from serving as Daeny's Hand.

I'm ok with it too, but wish they thought of another way to do it that didn't break up Jaime's charge to the dragon. That was the climax of the entire scene and could have had even more impact left unbroken. But to put it in context, it's one of the best executed war or battle scenes ever, took me by surprise in the flow of the episode and was a real treat.

6. curbach

Some questions that come to mind regarding this battle:
    1) Why did Danerys bring only one dragon?
    2) Why didn't Jaime have the scorpion out immediately (and why was there only one)?
    3) Why did Danerys destroy all the Tyrell gold and grain rather than capture it? How is she planning to keep all those Dothraki fed?
    4) I'm not quite clear on the geography or the timeline, so it is unclear to me how Danerys was able to get her troops to the mainland and to where the Lannisters were in the limited time between when she would have gotten word of the fall of the Tyrells (not actually shown, and the goof ups at sea and at Casterly Rock suggest she doesn't have much in the way of scouting) and before Jaime could get the loot back to King's Landing. Quite a feat of logistics I would think.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

1) can be answered fairly easily: "budget".

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

1) Each additional dragon adds to the CGI budget. And it looks like one was sufficient.
    2) Dramatic timing. And they were already busy assembling the troops before the dragon presented itself.
    3) The gold was already safe at Kings Landing.
    4) The battle took place somewhere along Blackwater Bay, so the Dothraki wouldn't have had to go around too terribly far. But it's drama, some suspension of disbelief is always going to be required.

9. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

1. Because she can only ride one dragon at a time. It has been (obliquely) referenced that dragons are of limited intelligence, and need a rider to actually control them, give them orders (otherwise all the Dothraki might have got burnt too), and keep them from getting themselves killed by flying too low / near Scorpions.

I suspect an upcoming plot point will be everyones astonishment when Jon Snow discovers he can tame / ride a dragon too (due to his half Tagerayan blood).

2. The Lannister army wasn't *expecting* to get ambushed, why would Jamie have the Scorpion out? (Both on display to spies, and at the mercy of the weather...)

3. No offence to you, you have only asked once, but I wish people would listen to the dialogue: Randall Tarly clearly reports to Jamie that "all the gold is thru the gates of Kings Landing" at the beginning of the episode. As for the grain, I don't think it was all of it, there wasn't that many carts,... and in the middle of a battle / firestorm, I think subtly in attacks might be difficult.

4. At the beginning of the episode it is made clear that Danerys still has enough ships left to ferry the Dothraki to the mainland. Previously it has been (again, quite obliquely) made clear that Dothraki can cover immense distances very, very quickly on horseback, due to their lack of armour, and lack of any auxillary people *not* on horseback.
    The map I have seen of Highgarden, Kings Landing and Dragonstone shows that KL & Dragonstone are actually very near (east, though seperated by water), while Highgarden is the other (west) side of the continent.

Finally, I too can't wait to see Tyrion & Jamie, and Tyrion & BRON! reunited... :winkgrin:

Blimey, I never mean't to write *that* much... I hope you like / find the post helpful!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  10. curbach

Good stuff. And to be clear these are only idle afterthoughts. I don't mean to suggest I am not enjoying the show.

(And I just deleted the remainder of my post replying to some of your points. Too much sidetracking on trivial matters and it's my fault so I'l shut up :))

11. agentalbert

The riderless dragons actually did quite well at torching the fleet of the slave masters from Yunkai and Astapor when they came to Mereen. But I think it was fine to just have one dragon here.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

In the preceding scene, we had just heard Jon caution her about overusing dragons to bring devastation. I think the only reason she used a dragon at all was to be able to show leadership and put herself in charge of the battle. Also, it was a surprise attack against an enemy that wasn't fortified, so no need to bring in the big guns. The unsullied weren't needed either.

His company was taken totally by surprise. If Bronn didn't notice the sound of the stampede in the distance, they would have had even less time to react and their highest priority was to get get their troops in some kind of formation. Only after doing that did they realize they would be fighting a dragon, but by then the dothraki were practically upon them.

Apparently the gold (or at least most of it) had already been transported to Kings Landing. The grain was more important to Cersei than to Daeny. Not sure why, but the resources are not as much an issue for Daeny--maybe she can have it shipped from Meereen?

Probably between her own ships still available and the Greyjoy ship that had just sailed in, they quickly identified the ability to hit the Lannisters before they returned to Kings Landing. Again, the attack came to late to intercept the loot. But it was a devastating blow, just the same.

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So is anyone else wondering about Daenarys uncanny control and precision when controlling her dragon? I especially admire how the dragon can hear her above all the noise, when she orders him to 'flame on'! Especially have to admire how she only managed to burn Lannister's! I watched the video where they compare the dragon to having an F16 in a medieval battle. But here's the thing, would the pilot of an F16 fire indiscriminately into a battlefield where his fellow warriors were battling? Hmmmm....maybe there's more to this 'Mad Queen' narrative than meets the eye!

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

She's given a new meaning to the term; 'friendly fire'!;)

15. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

This a thousand times.

Lost count of the number of times ive read through this thread and others online and thought...."they clearly wasnt listening to what was being said"

Bender Rodriguez and Dubmart like this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Neither the "gold is through the gates" nor the "enough ships left" comments came at the beginning of the episode, which means you should probably hold off on chastising people about not listening to what was being said. At the beginning of the episode, Randall Tarly makes a prediction that the gold will soon be through the KL gates, but it isn't until just before the battle that he tells Jaime the last of the gold made it. Likewise, the comment about enough ships left to carry the Dothraki to the mainland came as Daeny challenged her advisors (and Jon too) to come up with a new course of action. This was on the beach after she emerged from the dragonglass cave with Jon, more than halfway through the episode.

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Obviously for full control the dragons need riders, Jon Snow is an obvious second rider, but assuming all three dragons survive to battle the white walkers who will be the third, Tyrion? He's already demonstrated some empathy with them when he had them unchained and there's always the possibility that he's actually a third Targaryen and his father wasn't Tywin Lannister.

Dinstun likes this.
  18. agentalbert

Bran can turn it into an an unmanned drone.

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I still say Bran will 'warg' one, sometime in the future.

GregM likes this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I thought about Bran, but he seems to be on a different path now, who knows, ideally it would be Arya.:agree:

21. agentalbert

They haven't shown her to have that ability in the show at all, though, have they? I understand she does this in books. But if she's not the warg Bran is, her taking over a dragon seems quite a stretch. I hope they don't go there with her, or if she is shown to have the ability, its very limited.

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I agree with your spoiler Agentalbert, and also now Arya has two Valyrian steel blades I can see her causing a lot more mayhem on the ground, I wonder how many white walkers she can take down.

23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Needle's not Valyrian steel, is it? Jon Snow had it made for her, I doubt a 19 year old bastard could afford a Valyrian steel blade for a gift.

24. curbach

Yeah, I missed (or forgot by the time I started my wondering) that all the gold had already arrived safely. I was aware Danerys had ships available to transport the Dothraki. My questioning of her rapid troop movements was based on geography and timing rather than the physical means to do it. I think you have provided a satisfactory explanation based on geography. Of course, there are other questions as to how Danerys could possibly pull off a surprise attack under the circumstances, but I said I'd shut up.

25. agentalbert

Yeah, just one Valyrian blade. "Needle" is common metal. *chuckle* and now I'm thinking of The Hound's comment on people who name swords! ;)

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.