Game of Thrones - Season VII - July 16-2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

You're right. Of course you're right. But I actually enjoy the opening sequence. It's one of the very few that not only tells where the action during that episode will be, but how things are going at that location.

2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

And sometimes there is foreshadowing. Like the whole motif of the astrolabe thingy that we finally saw in the library at The Citadel...

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

well... you'd think, after a whole day (not counting a few hours for sleep) I'd be all "Throned-out'...
    But... it's still good!

4. Chris from Chicago

Me too. I'm watching it right now

vince likes this.
  5. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Or just use "Dany" or "Dani" for short. ;)

6. Chris from Chicago

I have way too much time downtime on my hands.

Having rewatched an embarrassing number of GOT episodes this weekend. I have a couple of thoughts...

I have said not long ago in this very thread that I considered (okay, maybe hoped) that Dani, Jon and Tyrion to be the mythical three headed dragon.

Dani... mother of dragons. Rider of them too. Check.

Tyrion. His father spent an awful lot of hate on him. Said countless times, to Tyrion's face... you are NOT my son. Very hurtful. But what if it's true? What if Tywin's wife had an affair with a Targaerian and Tyrion was the result? Think that's a stretch? Okay. I'll give you that. But when Tyrion went into the catacombs (dungeon... wherever the dragons were chained up by Dani to keep them from charring the good people) to free the dragons... He said to them... I'm nice... I'm good... please don't eat me. And they didn't. Like they knew him. Or... He was one of them.

Jon Snow. We now know his lineage. He's a Targaerian. When (if) he finally comes face to face with a dragon... will he be frightened? Will the dragon cuddle up to him as it does Dani? Will it be gentle as it was with Tyrion?

Yeah. That's right. Am I into something... Or what?

Or not.

Bender Rodriguez and GodShifter like this.
  7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yep. She's the real deal.

Tyrion (and Cercei's and Jaimie's) mother died giving birth to him, so clearly a Targaerian girl couldn't have given birth to him. It's not just a stretch; it's impossible. Tywin did not tell Tyrion you are not my son, so much as he wished Tyrian was not his son.

Tyrion's encounter with the dragon scared the crap out of him and he felt no kinship with them. So I'm not sure where you are getting this. Dragons are smart and they knew Tyrion was there to free them. They had no motivation to kill him; he wouldn't have even made a decent meal for them. The real questions about dragons is whether they can be controlled by a warg. Bran Stark can now control any animal and even humans (at least the slow-witted Ho'do), and before the man under the tree died, he prophesized that Bran would never walk again but would fly. Make of that what you will. The only way I think he can fly is if he learns to control dragons. That would be a bummer for Daenerys if Bran decides to align against her.

As for Jon, he is now king of the north and if Daenerys kicks the Lannisters out of King's Landing, Jon and Daenerys can unite the north and south. The question is whether the revelation about their shared ancestry (being cousins) makes their pairing kosher. It has been said that Targaerian siblings were bred for hundreds of years for pure bloodlines. So there certainly is precedent for this, and being cousins and raised in such different circumstances probably doesn't make it a deal-breaker, even if it does become common knowledge about Jon not being a Stark. How the north will feel about this is a bigger question, but Jon served the North well for his entire life.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

No one is suggesting she wasn't his mother -- the theory is that Tywin wasn't his father.

Tyrion's face... you are NOT my son. Very hurtful. But what if it's true? What if Tywin's wife had an affair with a Targaerian and Tyrion was the result?

9. Chris from Chicago

Not disputing Tyrion's own mother gave birth to him. Of course she did. Raising the potential doubt that Tywin is the father.

And of course Tyrion was afraid of the dragon. Why wouldn't he be? Why wouldn't anyone be. Except for Dani. But if he IS a Targaerian (but doesn't know it) that could be why a chained up, hungry, kept in the dark dragon didn't cause him harm.

Not saying things are as I suggest. Just suggesting they could be.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Ah, ok, I see that now. I just can't fathom Tywin not realizing that Tyrion was a bastard and disowning him before birth, let alone after.

11. Squealy

It's a popular theory... but yeah, it's hard to imagine anything could get past Tywin.

It seems though that being half Targaryen doesn't make you a golden haired elf, cf. Jon Snow and his black hair.

12. vince

You all forget.....
    NOTHING CAN KILL THE 'DINKLES'!!!!!

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This is a popular theory re Tyrion being part Targaryen and it's plausible. I think you're onto something here that I've discussed with friends.

I think the most disappointing thing that has come from this thread is I couldn't remember how to spell Targaryen! Thanks to GRRM and the show's delayed start, I'm in GoT deprivation mode.

Thanks, GRRM (and Obama!)

14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Must be a recessive gene. That's how Ned Stark figured out all of Robert's kids weren't really his.

Also, how is this a popular theory? I don't see any clues whatsoever that Tyrion wasn't a Lannister. As I previously mentioned, Tywin consistently said he was a Lannister and that came from a guy who would use any excuse to disown Tyrion. Also, Tyrion's trip into the dungeon to free the dragons was a harrowing experience for him in which he felt no kinship with them. So if the theory is based solely on that, it's pretty weak.

15. Chris from Chicago

I'm watching all weekend and I'm STILL getting it wrong

16. Squealy

Well maybe it's not popular but I've heard fans talk about it before ... it's based on a few morsels from the books, it's not anything that's been hinted at in the show I don't think.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Be interesting to know what those morsels are. Certainly, having killed his father and having been accused of killing his nephew, Tyrion as he himself says to Daenerys has been more successful in ushering in the downfall of the Lannisters than anyone else. In this respect maybe he's an honorary Targaryen! :)

18. Chris from Chicago

The Mad King, according to the books had quite the fascination with Joanna Lannister. Was thought to have possibly bedded her on her wedding day. Tywin would have hated Tyrion because of it. As he would have been forced to raise him as his own. In the book, Tyrion also had more of a platinum hair color and mismatched color eyes.

Side note...Is it possible that Tyrion's, Jon's and Dani's mothers all died during their respective childbirth?

mikeyt and GodShifter like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The biggest clue in shows is what @Chris from Chicago mentioned re Tyrion's dealings with the dragons. In the books, it's hinted at Tyrion's mom might have had an affair with a Targaryen. The three riders of the dragons (Dani, Jon, Tyrion) is pure fan speculation. Really, all of it is ...

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Still makes no sense. Between the wedding day and her death from giving birth to Tyrion, Joanna Lannister also gave birth to Jaime and Cersei. Are they supposedly Targaryens too? Tywin hated Tyrion because of Joanna's death, because of his dwarfism, his drinking and womanizing. Or is that not true in the books?

Didn't all Lannisters have blonde hair in the books?

Maternal death during childbirth was common prior to medical advances in the 1930s and '40s, even in the US.
    [​IMG]

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Tyrion is the youngest of the Lannisters. Why is it so improbable that his mother could have had an affair after Jamie and Cersei were born? Tywin didn't have her locked in a tower as I recall ....

22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I can't comment on that, as I didn't read the books. But unless the show is a total departure, Tywin would have used any excuse to disown Tyrion, and being a bastard would be the ultimate excuse, no?

23. vince

We're up to the "Battle Of The Bastards" now...
    Being a child of the '70's, I can't help but combine that title with that old show;
    "Battle Of The Network Bastards"!
    That's GOT to be a title for....SOMETHING!

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Sam for the big win!

[​IMG]

(Yeah right).

Aggie87 and vince like this.
  25. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

Am i in a minority ?
    I have never seen a episode of Game of Thrones.
    I have watched every episode of Still Game more than once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.