Game of Thrones - Season VII - July 16-2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Is Season 8 going to be Fall (short break only) or next year?

2. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

wow - just wow to that beginning.,,,,,,:D:D:D

goodiesguy, ex_mixer, Dubmart and 3 others like this.
  3. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I'm guessing next year, because of the massive amount of post-production that will be needed if season 8 is as wild as we hope it will be.

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

A very good first episode that is going to set up the rest of the season.

Ed Sheeran's cameo I knew about, but totally forgot about it until I saw it.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

What was he?
    One of the Lanister soldiers that Arya met?

6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yes

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Great first episode! And a great beginning sequence, too!

chrischerm likes this.
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The question is whether it's going to be 2018 or 2019... the latter has been raised as a possibility.

9. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

It was a little talky. But I'm alright with that. There's a story to tell. And there has to be episodes that set things up. This was one.

Dragonstone looked amazing. The walls lining the beach. The wall to the castle. The war table. Very cool.

Looks like there's going to be some near future meeting at Dragonstone with some peeps. Euron. Jon Snow. And Dani.

Sam gacking. Then gacking some more.

At what point did the Hound become a good guy? He was enemy incarnate early on. And then... not (Jaime had the same arch, I suppose).

Arya is still there one I wouldn't turn my back on.

10. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

The Hound got turned by the septon he met at the beginning of last season. The Ian McShane character, a killer who became a man of peace and was subsequently murdered along with his whole flock. Great scene between the two of them.

Aggie87 likes this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The Hound has always been a somewhat bad good guy. Very much shades of grey with him. He's was a mercenary at heart but has always shown subtle signs of being a decent person (cutting down the butcher's boy didn't start him out well, granted).

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Psyched to see Arya hook up with Nymeria!!!;)

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  13. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Poor Jorah. Looking like his quest didn't turn out too well so far...

GentleSenator likes this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't really like that. Its one thing to disguise your face, but I have a hard time believing Arya can simply wear Walder's face and his whole family and even newest wife can stand right next to her and not know? How does she do his voice? How does she make her body the same size? It's about as believable as Nic Cage and John Travaolta in Face/Off.

I haven't really been crazy about Arya's story lately. I find it pretty hard to stomach that the faceless men would just let her go just because she killed one assassin. They were never presented as the type to let anything go.

15. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

But dragons are fine with you? ;)

Gaslight, ronbow, Ed Hughes and 2 others like this.
  16. Don't forget about Mayor Tommy Carcetti; he will surely be heard from.

Is it me, or does the Hound get a disproportionate number of the best lines?

Not to mention armies of frozen zombies, giants, dead people coming back to life, Wargs, etc.

17. vince

I'm hoping to see something along the lines of that viral video from a few years ago!

18. vince

There's always a chance that somewhere, in Dragonstone, there's some leftover 'cure' that Stannis used on his daughter!

19. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Am I the only one who felt like this was a 'dumbed down' episode... spoon-feeding how they are setting the table for the rest of the series? I used to like being challenged when I would watch, often times having to go back and re-watch, sometimes with the captions on to make sure I catch every subtle detail.

John Moschella, goodiesguy and lobo like this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nah, I actually liked it more than most of the eps last season. Stuff actually happened and it felt like the plot was being advanced on many fronts. I appreciated that aspect rather than the usual treading water feeling too many prior eps have been guilty of. Thumbs up.

GentleSenator and GodShifter like this.
  21. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I liked the premiere well enough. It seemed to set things up for where we will be going this season. And our big 3 (Cersei, Dany, Snow) got the lion's share of the screen time, which I think is a good thing at this juncture. I get what some of the posters are saying about the implausibilities with Arya, but that has been an ongoing issue with her plot. Particularly the way she manages to traverse all over Westeros in quick succession from place to place. But that doesn't bother me. And I accept that she can become the characters while donning their faces. I just think of it as part of the magic of the many-faced god.

What did stick out to me in this episode were a couple of modernisms that seemed thrown in. Thoros was wearing a man-bun which the Hound referred to as a "top knot." And when Arya encountered a band of merry men out in the woods, they were singing a very modern sounding song. Had they added some synth and drum beats, it could have been mistaken for something heard on the radio today. Both of these anachronisms took me out of the story, at least momentarily.

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yes, dragons are fine. That's not the point at all. But if you take the position that because dragons (and zombies, giants,e etc) exist that nothing must follow any logic at all, then I guess everything is okay.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's exactly what I thought too! It really stood out as a modern composition.

profholt82 likes this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well, they did say it was a "new one" ;)

I thought the episode was good and advanced things nicely. With only seven episodes this season and thirteen in all it almost has to. There can't be any filler (or very little anyway) for what's left. There isn't time.

Deesky likes this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

He does. Tyrion is right up there, though.

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.