GaN mosfets

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mark broadhead, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some interesting new technology developing around these output devices. GaN ( Gallium Nitride ) are a new type of transistor that have much faster switching capabilities and lower parasitic capacitance than silicone transistors. At the moment, as a far as I am aware only Technics have used this in a domestic amplifier in their recent Reference series. Given the improved characteristics it is certain that these devices will be used in Class D amps with higher PWM frequencies thus banishing any lingering doubts over this class of amp. They are also even more efficient than current silicone Mosfets used in Class D. They have many other uses of course and are set to produce big leaps of progress in many applications ( they are about the size of an uncooked grain of rice ).

Shiver likes this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

As a resident of Silicon Valley, I feel it's my duty to point out that silicone is not generally used in transistors except maybe as part of the casing, silicon is the element you are looking for :)

BTW, (and not a correction) but there is also a car audio company that has been making a pretty well reviewed GaN amp for a couple years or so ... I guess the jitter specs competition has now officially moved to class-D audio amplifiers ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  3. Mark broadhead

4. Mark broadhead

Indeed ! I should be more punctilious with my posts.

Davey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.