Garbage 20th anniversary deluxe reissue of debut album and tour (October/December 2015)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MarioHead, Feb 17, 2015.

1. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident Thread Starter

from Wikipedia:
    Would it be safe to assume that the debut album will not be getting any further reissues? Or perhaps any new reissue would be sourced from digital masters if ever?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
    vonwegen and BIG ED like this.
  2. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Wow, that's very disappointing. I hadn't heard that. The debut is still my favorite album by them. Hopefully, the analog masters turned up after the Absolute Garbage project.

Grant and JeffMo like this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Terrific album! I need to listen to it again soon.

4. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Amazing album. I did see them on that tour. Awesome gig that I'll never forget. They released an excellent extended version of the album in time for their tour downunder. It had a 2nd disc called "Australasian Tour Souvenir Bonus Disc" and included: Milk (Rabbit In The Moon Mix); Stupid Girl (Tee's Radio Mix); Queer (Danny Saber Mix); Dog New Tricks (The Pal Mix); Alien Sex Fiend. I played the album recently - still blows me away!!

JeffMo and jamesc like this.
  5. MarioHead

Apparently there are plans for a reissue, however it doesn't say exactly if a vinyl version is included. Let's keep our fingers crossed. The prices for the original and early reissue of the vinyl is getting ridiculous by the day.

http://www.garbagediscobox.com/2014/09/debut-album-to-be-reissued/

And yes, the debut and the follow up album are classics indeed. Those two are the must have Garbage albums in my opinion.

JeffMo and jamesc like this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haven't played that album in ages, I even have the pink carrier bag with "G" logo that came wih early purchases. Is this expensive right now? I thought Garbage items were very collectable from 1995 to 2005 but then the band somehow became less popular. So an original Mushroom pressing shouldn't be that expensive. There is also a Simply Vinyl issue, right? And I seem to remember a third version but I haven't looked into Garbage items for ages...

7. MarioHead

http://www.discogs.com/Garbage-Garbage/master/26091

They do command quite a lot these days, basing on the Discogs website. The first pressings were from Almo Sounds (US) and Mushroom (UK). Simply Vinyl had a reissue in 1999 and even this pressing seems to be quite expensive.

8. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Yikes. Anyone know if the existing vinyl bests the CD? As far as I know, the debut album exists as a 33 1/3 RPM lp and as a 45 rpm box.

9. Neonbeam

I sold the box around 2005 because it wasn't fun listening to the album spread across several 7"'s and I figured I already had enough Garbage collectables sitting around. If you want to listen to the album get the 12" vinyl.

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

(cough) cheap (cough) Curve (cough) rip (cough) off

:angel:

Echo and fitzrik like this.
  11. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I felt the same way when Garbage appeared on the scene. A more accessible version of Curve. I love Curve and saw them perform several times but honestly, I'd take the Garbage debut over any Curve album. It is a nearly perfect album and one of the best of the decade.

12. Neonbeam

Well....there definitely were some similarities but... Garbage had better songs. At least on their first two albums:)

SilkHammer and Jarleboy like this.
  13. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Dean Garcia? Is that really you?

TokenGesture, MadamAdam and Aftermath like this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

With all due respect to Curve.......

Shirley Manson!!!

15. Django

Django Forum Resident

I love Curve as well but the Garbage debut is better than any album Curve made.
    They took the Curve formula and added loads of pop and clever production.
    Love the guitars on the Garbage album, not necessarily the guitar sound, but all the layers of hooks and textures.

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Toni and Shirley are both gorgeous but Shirley had the better voice. I didn't know the Curve/Vig history that Curveboy brought up though so it's not surprising that he try to one up them when shopping for a singer. But, like a lot of bands I love, Curve didn't need a singer with an incredible voice to be amazing. Toni's sultry voice was the perfect match for the music.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  17. Neonbeam

I checked this and as usual these prices are inflated. Yeah....I COULD ask 100£+ for my copy too but....will I really sell it? If you look at recently ended Ebay auctions you'll get a more realistic picture because there the originals fetched between 30-40£. Which seems more like it. You'll just have to wait for the next auction.

A local store recently had a Near Mint UK Mushroom for 30€. Since I have a copy I didn't buy it. Maybe I should have....

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

To be fair, I'm a huge Garbage fan and have only heard a few Curve songs. I will have to check them out a little further.

19. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

But all of the Beatles albuyms have already been reissued. :p

(See Lou Reed thread).

bleachershane likes this.
  20. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I think the first two albums plus Pubic Fruit, a collection of their early EPs, are their strongest material but I may not have given their later material enough of a chance.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  21. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Memory, ugh i'm old, has 'V 2.0' as the 1st new CD release that compression ruinED for me.
    Hear's [p.i.] proof i had ears B4 i found this fine forum [DR R#6]:
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/dr?artist=garbage
    i likED & still like the single "i Think i'm Paranoid"; butt could not enjoy listen too the album in mid-98, even w/a pretty forgiving system at the time [w/tube intergatED & Linaeum tweeters].

i just hope for a "Californication" situation where the compression wasn't added too whatever "Garbage" masters are left.

22. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Anybody here dig Garbage?

I love 'em, and like every geezer here, am stupefied that 1995 is somehow now 20 years ago. And so we have on hand the imminent release of a deluxe reissue, and the "20 Years Queer" tour that will feature their debut album played in its entirety.

Details, including dates, here.

I'm really, really looking forward to this. You?

23. 905

905 Senior Member

I spent a long time around 1996/97 with the cassette in my car, it must be in the top ten albums I've listened to the most.
    I'm glad Garbage is doing this.

JeffMo likes this.
  24. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

I'm still looking for the original vinyl release in an affordable price range. :oops: and wondering if they still have the same stage presence like previous shows, in any case would love to see them live again.

Vinyl_Blues and captainsolo like this.
  25. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I saw them 2 years ago in Philly at the Electric Factory, and they put on a great show. I think they'll be great live this time around too!

hammer99 likes this.