Garrard 301 values/prices in the US—where to look?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

I am looking at buying a Garrard 301 from my local dealer. He's got two cream-colored versions and one hammertone grey, all grease bearing models. They're all in excellent shape cosmetically and are un-restored or modified as far as I know, save for perhaps broken switches being replaced, etc. They should all be in fine shape mechanically as well, and are offered with a 3-year parts and labor warranty. The grey is considerably more than the cream ones, but is probably in the best shape.

I've been trying to ascertain the value of these 'tables in the US, but I'm not having much luck. Can anybody steer me in the right direction? I don't mind paying for a quality vintage piece as long as I can sell it and come somewhat close to getting my money out (obviously without a warranty, so I expect some financial hit).

Thanks all.

2. sfoclt

sfoclt Forum Resident

3. snorker

Thanks! I gotta say, my dealer is asking nowhere near what the Artisan Fidelity versions are listed for, but it looks like those a pretty heavily restored/modified. The 'tables I am looking at are pretty much original and un-restored, but purported to be in perfect running order.

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm worried this is basically mutually exclusive. Yeah, they might work, keep speed etc, but they're not going to be as good as they can/should be.

For your original question, I'd say the price of a 301 deck with no plinth/arm these days is about $1400-$2000. That's for cream, hammertones are so rare its a different market. It's definitely attractive that your dealer has them for sale locally, but I'd buy a deck on ebay, send it off to be refurbished, and select the plinth/arm on your own.

Or just buy the package the dealer is offering and budget another few hundred dollars to have it overhauled.

SandAndGlass and IanL like this.
  5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I second Rolltide's advice. One possibility is to watch Audio Grail's eBay store (audio grail shop | eBay Stores ) and wait for the perfect one to pop up. That's what I did, with my 401, and I think it was around $2K U.S. at the time. The exchange rate favors us more now than it did then, so I would expect the price to be a little less in U.S. dollars right now. Of course, a hammertone grease-bearing 301 is going to cost more than any 401. But patience will pay off in this situation while you research exactly what you want. Eventually, it will come up for sale.

Rolltide likes this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

An Audio Grail for US $2K sounds like an incredible deal, those pop up fairly frequently too.

IanL likes this.
  7. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I'm very happy with the price I paid for my 401. But like I said, 301's in general do go for a little more than 401's. And then if you want hammertone on top of that, I'm not sure of the price. But while I was watching and waiting for my eventual 401 to go up for sale, there were some awesome 301's listed, not only in the original finishes (which Audio Grail refinishes anyway), but some unique ones that were never original options, like the same 'sable' finish mine is. Definitely gives them a more modern look than the cream. The hammertone is really handsome on a black plinth as well, IMO.

8. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The Artisan Fidelity versions are absolutely beautiful! You are right though, they replace a lot of the parts with their own improved parts, like the platter and the bearing. Plus, their gorgeous plinth. You definitely pay a premium for one of those, but I bet they are worth every penny to those that can afford them.

Audio Grail does replace some small parts, but mostly they are concerned with a complete restoration of the original parts if they are in good condition. Here is a link to the listing for my 401. Scroll down and read all the details to get an idea of the level of restoration that goes into one of their Garrards: GARRARD 401 TURNTABLE SPECIAL EDITION SABLE EARLY TWIN SPARK BY AUDIO GRAIL | eBay

Also, with Audio Grail, you are just buying the motor unit from them. You will still need to choose/buy an arm and plinth. It doesn't come with them like Artisan Fidelity models do.

snorker likes this.
  9. snorker

Thanks. He offers it as a package with a plinth that is made from plywood with a very nice veneer of my choice. It looks similar to the Shindo ones in shape/appearance. I can use whatever arm and cartridge I want, but he recommends Ortofon arms. I like the look of the TA-210, which is probably what I'd use. The hammertone grey he has I believe come with the original box. It's unrestored, but very clean. He tells me it was NOS, but he's been using it as a demo in his shop for a number of years...maybe a decade or so. He also offers a three-year warranty, and he's local, so that's a big plus. I'm just not sure what a fair price would be.

10. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

If you buy a Garrard 301, you're going to want to get it refurbished regardless of condition. In the old grease bearings (and maybe some of the older oil bearings) they used cadmium on some of the parts, which is toxic. As others have mentioned, places like Audio Grail or Classic Turntable Company, completely strip down all the parts and get rid of all the cadmium. It's also worth the refurbishment to have the motor rebuilt and to get a new idler wheel and bearing thrust plate, which would definitely need to be replaced at this point.

They are great machines, but be prepared to do some maintenance, one way or the other.

IanL likes this.
  11. One important consideration. You realize that the Garrard 301's were made in England where their electricity is different than that of the U.S. Make sure that they are set up with 60hz 120v. motors for the U.S. Also, the 301 is idler-driven. Not only do idler wheels transfer motor noise and vibrations but they harden with age and besides speed problems, the other aspects also worsen.
    That said, a Garrard 301 is a pretty cool vintage turntable and the Ortofon tone arms are a nice vintage look to match. Buy extra headshells if you play more than one type of record so that you can have them pre-mounted and ready to go.
    If you can find a 301, buy it, they don't come cheap. And a dealer who has several to choose from, that is a real opportunity or his price is too high and that's why he still has them.

McLover likes this.
  12. sfoclt

sfoclt Forum Resident

You can easily convert the existing motor from UK to US voltage. See p. 9 of the 401 manual (same for 301). It's just a matter of moving some wire links. Takes 30 seconds, tops.
    http://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/pdf/telecharge.php?pdf=Garrard-401-Owners-Manual.pdf

2xUeL likes this.
  13. sfoclt

sfoclt Forum Resident

The Schick 12" tonearm is also popular with the Garrard. It's what I use, although the wait can be long.
    schick 12 - 12 inch tonearm - Thomas Schick

14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

If the dealer in the US has been using the TT in his shop, it would be configured to run on US electricity.

snorker likes this.
  15. snorker

Yes, it's set up for US mains. He also brought it over for me to hear in my system. I used the same cartridge so I had some baseline.

sfoclt likes this.
  16. snorker

Thanks. I'm going to ask him about this. They work on them in-house, along with all manner of other vintage gear.

EDIT: I'll give him a plug too. Vu at Deja Vu Audio in McLean, Virginia (near Washington, DC).

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

But yet it isn't refurbished? If they're capable of doing the work on it, surely they have, right?

18. snorker

They've done mechanical work, but it's not a complete restoration as far as I know. I'm not sure exactly what they did, but I'll ask now that I'm armed with some information from my fellow Hoffmanites.

The paint is original, but they all happen to be quite clean. Just a little patina of age. The grey one is particularly clean, with just a couple small scratches. In a way this appeals to me...like with cars or fine watches, you can restore one many times, but it's only original once. As long as it's all mechanically sound, I can accept a few cosmetic flaws as genuine patina.

Rolltide and IanL like this.
  19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That's starting to sound better.

Go there after work today and buy the hammertone one. C'mon man, you deserve it.

snorker likes this.
  20. snorker

:laugh: You may be right! I want to make sure these are in top running condition and that the price is fair under the circumstances.

In any event, I've already decided I'm getting a new turntable. If not the Garrard, I've also considered another Clearaudio like the Ovation, and an SL-1200G. It's hard to beat the looks of that vintage Garrard. It's a real statement. But I want to make sure the sound is commensurate with the look.

21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Trust me. It is.

snorker likes this.
  22. snorker

From the in-home demo he gave me it sure sounded that way. A fuller sound, with a lot of bass impact using the same cartridge as my Concept Wood. I was surprised the 'table and arm would make that much difference with the same cartridge.

23. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Something about that idler wheel and the resulting torque. I'm sure the arm (the Ortofon?) was a big step up over the Clearaudio too.

24. snorker

Yeah, it was the 9" version, TA-110. I'd spec one with a 12" arm. Looks more correct with those vintage 'tables to me.

25. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

I've always had an interest in these, but other than those works of art offered by Artisan, what I've seen on eBay looks pretty rough. Can you provide some names of reliable contacts that refurbish 301/401's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.