Garrard turntables...why so cheap?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Aquateen, Jun 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well folks I'm still searching for my vintage TT to be put in my killer new (old) system that i'll be building. While do some searching on ebay I noticed how cheap Garrard tables go for. Is there a reason for this? What are some good models they put out?

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I believe the SB100 (or was it the...??? ) had a really flaky arm unit to it. It tended to break easily. Good in theory, bad in practive.

The Gerrard has a vintage '70's feel and sound to it. I'm not familiar with all models but have you considered Dual? I think they had a better rep.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!

3. Aquateen

I've looked at Duals and Thorens and I've basically canceled out Thorens. As far as the Duals I don't know what to look for.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

5. Aquateen

What's a fair price for a 1229?

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I wish I could tell you but I have no idea. Is there an email address at that website? Maybe they would know.

mud-

7. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

8. Aquateen

Well the site says they were $250 new....I see some going for around $100 on ebay. Since you have one would you say it's worth $100? Are the stock parts ok or should think about adding new parts? Sorry that i'm throwing so many questions out. :)

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

No problem. I'd say that $75-$100 is probably a fair price. I replaced mine last year with a Rega. Perhaps someone else could tell you if $100 on a 30 year old TT vs $100 on some type of newer TT is worthwhile. I will say that Dual was an excellent product in the early 70s. Sckott comes to mind.

mud-:D

10. Aquateen

Ok, thanks man. I've been told before that vintage stuff was the way to go over lower end new TTs like Musichall and such. Hopfully some of our other board members will respond. :)

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Aqua, go into a Circuit City, Good Guys or whatever stereo chain store you have in your area and just get a new Technics or Pioneer turntable for $200. Thanks to the rappers, turntables are easier to get than ever.

Don't waste your time with a vintage table 'cause they hum, the wires break, the speeds are off, they rumble and generally perform badly. Vintage AMP? Yes, vintage 'table? Nah.

Oh, put a Shure V15 in your Technics and spend the money you will save on RECORDS!

Just my opinion.

12. Aquateen

Well I work at CC so I get everything at cost but I thought Technics stuff was supposed to be crap. However, you are the man so I guess I might have to listen to you;) .

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Technics, crap? I doubt it. Listen to a table and see. I bet it will sound fine.

Or, spend $5,000.00 and do it right. :)

14. Aquateen

I'll have to see what I can get a table for. Usually audio stuff is roughly 30% off so then I'll have some for the Shure. How much of an improvement will that little thing do though? Thanks to everyone that's responded.

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Aqua, you can go to NorthernLightFX's website linked on Steve's main page and buy a Numark, Gemini or Stanton turntable for $100, butthey are generally well built and sound decent overall. We can also order American Audio turntables from American DJ which I haven't heard, but I'm sure they are up to par with the rest of American Audio product line including mixers, CD players, etc. I work for NorthernLightFX/RFC Music Productions in Bemidji so I am able to get a lot of my equipment at cost. RFC is the parent company and do DJ shows, NorthernLightFX is the retail site. Plus, if you want to get a mirror ball, effects lighting, a quality strobe light, etc. we are the place to get them, or if you need to buy a PA system, etc. we can sell you those as well, we also sell karaoke music from Sound Choice and Chartbuster and can even locate a lot of hard to find songs in karaoke form and you can go to www.soundchoice.com to search the Sound Choice catalog online and http://www.karaokecafe.com/ to search the Chartbuster catalog online, if there is something you want, go to the NorthernLightFX site and give us the the vendor (Sound Choice or Chartbuster) and the catalog number of the CD+G you desire. Mikey5967 has bought a CD+G from us and for many products, if we don't have them in stock at our warehouse, we can drop ship them from the manufacturers. We do sell CD+G players ranging from the boombox like machines to the pro stuff. VocoPro does make the best karaoke product on the market and they make all kinds of product for all needs. Their website is at www.vocopro.com and we do carry their product and can order other CD+G players from Sound Choice and Chartbuster (what we can order from Sound Choice and Chartbuster as far as equipment is concerned is mainly mass market stuff).

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I can't think of anything that would spoil the effect of a vintage system more than a new Technics or Pioneer front-end. I hope there's a strobe. Steve, you've gotta be kidding.

I think a classy modern turntable (say a VPI Scout) would look fantastic with vintage gear, or a Music Hall at a lower price. A nice used Rega would be OK too, but a Thorens TD160 would really set it off. I'd choose a Linn, of course, since that's what I own in Oz.

There's vintage ... and there's broken.

Regards,
    Geoff

17. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Could I ask why? IMHO the Thorens will sound much better.

18. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Garrard (and BSR) turntables are generally rim drive = rumble.

19. millerdog

millerdog New Member

Hey guys, my first post so treat me nice!
    I currently have a Dual 1246 with a Grado Red cart ( I got the table for $85). It rocked my world as far as vinyl goes. In my research, most would say a Thorens would be the next step up as far as vintage goes. I think they had better tone arms. I like the auto features the vintage tables have. But sorry, my next step will be a MusicHall MMF5. I was looking the Regas too, but the isolation thing kept me away.
    I looked also at the Zero Garrard line, but not too much info was available.
    I think a good vintage table would rock with the right cart! My Dual does!
    Hope this helps!

20. Aquateen

Well it's my understanding that Thorens parts are very hard to come by. I don'y want to make a huge headache for myself.

21. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Depends on what you mean by Technics. Even back in the 80's, I was in charge of putting together a system for my grandmother. We bought her one of those Technics linear-tracking turntables. It *worked* OK, but typical mass-market crap that it was, the turntable actually flexed when you put your palm on it and rocked it back and forth. Most of the new mass-market tables I see today are this way, not to mention having P-mount cartridges. Wasn't impressed by the flimsy construction, but it was all she could afford.

I'm more into getting a vintage direct-drive Denon. :) Not sure if I'd want one with those servo-operated arms or not, but the finish on these tables is so nice.... :D

The Garrard Zero-series turntables all claimed to have zero tracking angle error, through some convoluted mechanism that aligned the headshell. Sort of a novel idea, but I think it was probably lost on a lot of buyers back then.

22. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

AFAIK, Technics basically makes two different TTs these days.

The first is the DJ's workhorse, the 1200. I think there are a couple of variants currently in production. Not quite the ultimate audiophile machine, but solidly built and very reliable.

The second is the supercheapo $100 plastic kind you would find at Best Buy that uses P-mount cartridges. IMHO, you'd be better off buying a decent used TT than getting this.

23. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Steve's right about staying about from the vintage stuff when it comes to turntables.

The $100 Technics might be ok, but if you can, check one out in person. Gently grab the arm and gently see if there is any play at the pivit (where the bearing is). If it feels tight (meaning no jiggle or play), you probably are well off. If not look elsewhere. You may be better off with the $200 Music Hall.

If you go with the cheaper Technics, it means you need a pmount cartridge. I'm not sure if Shure still makes them, but I think Grado still does. The cheapest Grado is probably about $35-50. You could do a lot worse than the Grado. Back in the late eighties/early nineties that Grado was $18 and was considered better than most $200 cartridges.

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think that's what I remember. Great in theory but flaky (read: breaks easily) in the "real world".

I have an original (unbroken) zero TT that I am probably going to sell.

25. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

A $80 Sony or Technics are dangerous to vinyl, IMHO. Even the mats they put on OEM scuff records horribly. I think Steve may be talking about the Technics 1200 turntables, which are rugged as all hell, and not so expensive, but not in the $100 price range. Like our buddy cbsolson might have?

Gary is correct, as most DD cheaper turntables are around the P-Mount idea. Shure makes P-Mounts, but not anything NEAR a v15, but they have good performing carts for the P Mount.

There's good turntables on a budget from GAR and others also here:

http://www.garage-a-records.com/alltt.html

The nice thing about these tables, they'll even play 78's at will, with vari-speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.