Gawd help me, I've gone modern and solid state... (Rega Brio-R)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I've been enjoying vintage tubes since the '90s - first with a ’62 Voice of Music 1448, then with a ’66 Fisher 400, and most recently with a ’59 Fisher X-100.

I’ve had some flirtations with vintage solid state in recent years - a recapped Yamaha CR-1020 and currently have a recapped Pioneer SX-780 in a secondary system. I have observed some positive attributes in the two solid state receivers, particularly the bass grip and texture that my vintage tubes can’t quite resolve.

I’d been curious lately about trying out a modern solid state amp, and the Rega Brio R was on my shortlist. @kenrothman yesterday listed one in the classifieds, and seeing how he’s local to me, I jumped all over it!

Stay tuned for my impressions… It will be interesting to see how this does with my LS50’s, compared to the Fisher tubes!

2. Bradfinger

Bradfinger Forum Resident

I think you'll return to vintage. Enjoy your journey.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Another soul lost to the Dark Side :)

4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I'm a tube man myself, but am anxious to hear your thoughts. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BTW, Love the Avatar AP! I've got every Martin Denny album ever released.

action pact, bluemooze and Sugar Man like this.
  5. action pact

Now now... my beloved X-100 isn't going anywhere! :unhunh:

Ray understands me! :hugs:

Martin Denny rules! I have all of the "good" ones, but some of his '60s LPs are not so interesting, so I haven't bothered.

He did a really good album for Liberty/Capitol in '82 that sounds just like one of his '50s albums!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I do both and enjoy both. I think having the variety makes listening to music more compelling over time.

SS certainly has a blacker background and more punch.

33na3rd, Manimal and action pact like this.
  7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Yeah, not everything he did is great, but I love the covers. I don't think I have the '82 album- I will have to check.

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think in very general terms tubes are more relaxing and SS more exciting. I've not had any experience with the low powered SET amps but I will say that modern tube mono blocks that are pushing over 100wpc really deliver on both.

SandAndGlass and action pact like this.
  9. action pact

The cover of the '82 album ("The Enchanted Isle") is horrible... but the music's good!

[​IMG]

10. action pact

Yeah, that's pretty much much what I expect!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

For jazz I tend to use my Chi-Fi EL-34 SET; for everything else, it's my restored Marantz 2230. Gotta have both.

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

So you finally came back to your senses. Welcome back to the accurate world of SS amplification, esp with those two terrific receivers you got !!!:righton:

action pact, Manimal and mando_dan like this.
  13. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Interested in your impressions. I have a Brio R in a box sitting 20 feet from my LS-50s but never hooked it up!

14. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I have to chuckle reading that list... I have nearly the same lineup: Voice of Music 1428, Fisher 400, and Fisher X-100. I think the only difference is that I have the different VM model with the EL84 output tubes, plus my Fisher 400 is probably from the earlier part of the 60s. (I think my X-100 is also circa 1959.) I love all three for different reasons. And yet, I also have a Marantz 2230 as well, when I want that solid state sound. I have to keep telling myself I don't need anything else, but then I catch myself looking at Scott 299s on eBay.

Variety is a good thing! Just don't sell that X-100 in haste. You may end up missing it.

15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Hell to the no!:D

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I'm a solid looking for a tube

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Do it! It's very addictive. If you look for something other than fisher or McIntosh, you can get it done for not a lot of money.

18. MATT0404

MATT0404 Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Rega. I'm an advocate of always having a tube and SS system for hifi diversity and enrichment. :D

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

You'll be alright mate ...

alexpop and action pact like this.
  20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yea, Fisher is kinda my dream machine. One day:)

action pact and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. action pact

When you're ready, my advice is a.) get one that has been competently refurbished (ie: DeOxIting the knobs isn't enough!), and b.) make sure you have a local tech who is familiar with vintage tube hifi. The average repair shop won't necessary know their way inside 50-60 year old technology.

Bananas&blow, Manimal and Dennis0675 like this.
  22. action pact

I left the Rega powered on overnight, and plan to keep it on 24/7.

I am still getting my ear accustomed to it, but my immediate impressions while listening to CDs are:

• It's much 'quicker' than the Fisher, with significantly better bass slam... and yet the presentation is smooth and non-fatiguing.
    • Surprisingly, it's fuller/warmer too; I didn't expect that.
    • Imaging isn't as vivid vs. the Fisher... but I haven't tried vinyl yet.

More observations:

• Having a remote control for both the amp and source (CD) is a delight. :agree:
    • I often loathe modern hifi visual design, but I appreciate the compactness and simplicity of the Brio-R. This is clearly a serious, no-BS design built to hit a price point without compromising performance. The lack of bells and whistles - and bling - is welcome. Even the warmly backlit Rega logo is tasteful and attractive.

Associated gear, currently:
    Rotel RCD-1072
    KEF LS50

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Good advice. Anyone that has quality work done will list that in the add with specific details. I would say that more than half of what I see for sale needs to go directly to tec before you use it at home. Bad stuff can happen if you just power it up.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  24. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

A good amplifier is a good amplifier, SS or hollow state. Close your eyes and enjoy :)

33na3rd and action pact like this.
  25. action pact

Especially with tubes!

SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.