Gem Dandy compared to vacuum record cleaning machines?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluenexus, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sailfish

sailfish Forum Resident

The Gem Dandy is the best tweak for the money in audio. I add a couple of steps. First, if the record is dirty I scrub briefly with a disc washer pad using the Gem Dandy cleaning fluid, then I apply more fluid and wash. After washing I spritz the record liberally with distilled water. Then I dry. I would love to compare with an ultra sonic machine.

2. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

I'm still super interested in getting one of these, but I have encountered a problem: My kitchen sink is almost certainly too small to fit the contraption as advertised. I was thinking I might be able to just use it in the tub but I can already tell the provided hose is way too short to make it all the way from the bathroom sink. Have any Gem Dandy owners been able to rig up some kind of extension?

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have a Gem Dandy and a VPI-17f. No comparison; the VPI rules and cleans the records perfectly. Makes a huge difference and well worth the money.

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The GEM is priced right, and works decently, but three issues I have with it are (1) difficult to scrub, (2) drying by cloth/air always seems to leave something behind, and (c) an extra rinse with something like distilled water is a pain. Went from a GEM Dandy to a VPI Cyclone, and the Cyclone has improved LPs cleaned with the GEM.

John K..

quicksilverbudie and Rolltide like this.
  5. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

I highly recomment the Groovmaster. Cheaper, easier to use than the GEM, and built to last forever. I have used a DIY RCM and prefer the groovmaster in my setup. I have a few friends that do as well prefer the GEM or Groovmaster to proper RCMs (which also are great and work well).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.