Gene Chandler-The Duke Of Soul

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luvtemps, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

Out of Chicago,as a member of the Dukays this cool soulman had some small gems like-The Girl's A Devil..Kissin In The Kitchen..Festival Of Love, but when they recorded the soulful-Duke of Earl his career took off and so did Gene out of the group and on his own.He cruised through the sixties...God Bless Our Love..Just Be True..Gonna Be Good Times..Nothing Can Stop Me..Fooled You This Time..A Song Called Soul..River Of Tears, but Gene grooved in the Seventies too..Groovy Situation..Give Me A Chance..Get Down,and even the Eighties..Does She Have A Friend For Me...and his live shows were too cool,he's still with us today although many youngsters may not be hip but this soulman is one of the legends of soul music..Clean Gene Chandler!!

zebop likes this.
  2. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Rainbow '65 is killer!

lv70smusic and smallworld like this.
  3. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Was he the first to record "All About the Paper". It was recored in short order by The Dells and Loleatta Holloway as well.

4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Not that many people who had hits in the '60s were able to record a disco hit in the late '70s that sounded fresh as opposed to someone trying to jump on the bandwagon. Gene's "Get Down" is a 12" single I never tire of hearing.

zebop likes this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

A legend on the UK Northern Soul scene.

Love his stuff, much of it written by Curtis Mayfield. The Brunswick stuff is great but I think the few years before that is really the best period, around 62 to 65.

He has a very emotional voice that sounds at times like he's barely holding on in something like You Can't Hurt Me No More, and also there are very few people who can cover James Brown well, and he does on There Was A Time.

Great favourite of mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.