Gene Clark SACD of unreleased recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PeteH, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Absolutely, it was a kind of cobbled together album back then anyway (I had to get my copy from Amsterdam back then, the Netherlands being the only place it was released) so not surprising that it doesn't really gel. Agreed about the standard of the material, wonderful.

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It is indeed.

If Sierra has a bad rep, I think it's based entirely on that Gram Parsons boxed set, which (based on the thread linked above) was shipped piecemeal over a period of several years, with some folks claiming to never have received all the items promised. If that had happened to me, I would certainly be frustrated and reluctant to buy directly from Sierra again.

That said, I've never heard about anyone having issues with any other Sierra products, and I've had good experiences the couple times I've ordered directly from them. And more importantly, I believe they (and similar operations like High Moon) should be cut some slack since they're obviously one-man (or very small scale) operations. It's not realistic to expect them to be as efficient as a major label. I would be frustrated if I ordered a Gram Parsons box and it took three years to get it, but on the flipside, it's better than the alternative of there not being any Gram Parsons box at all. The Gene Clark material that's being released here has been sitting on the shelf for 4o or 50 years. If not for Sierra, it would apparently continue to sit on the shelf.

John can't say what's on this set, but anyone have any guesses? More demos from "The Only Girl I Adore" period? The Clark vocal version of "Back Street Mirror"? The 1967 stuff is what has me most excited... that's Gene's wilderness year.

3. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I'm sorry some folks had a bad experience. That sucks.

But I know how much this music means to JD. And with this release he's trying to do something that no one else has ever had the guts to do. Like Maggie said, this has the potential to be a major event for Gene Clark fans.

4. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT? Wowee!

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The Parsons box seems to have been an isolated incident, rather than an representative indication of Sierra's overall business practices. I assume John Delgatto has learned from whatever mistakes caused the logistical problems with that set. And as you say, he definitely deserves some credit/benefit of the doubt for taking the initiative to get this stuff released, as well as for all the great work he's done over the years in getting Byrds-related stuff out there.

Mike Griffiths and lightbulb like this.
  6. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Unheard/unreleased Clark music in pristine quality - I want it! :D

7. Clarkophile

[​IMG]
    I think the main problem with the 8-song Roadmaster is the slow pace. Me, I love dirgey Gene, but I can see why others might be bored by it.

8. mobygrape85

mobygrape85 New Member

I think some of you guys are a bit soft on this guy - I am sure some of you maybe even friendly with him - when someone says they will deliver a package it should come in or around that specified delivery time. I've heard lost in the mail enough times to know that its usually bs. That being said, the main draw with the Parson's box set was Gram Parsons and the Like material - the two or three tracks that sound somewhat like early Byrds tracks - with a strong Dylan influence. As mentioned, someone wrote something key regarding the upcoming Clark reissue that is making me doubt it's legitimacy - officially released vs bootleg released tracks in better sound quality. As mentioned, I'll be impressed if I see songs I've never seen before - I.E. not tracks like "If I Hang Around" etc but genuine new stuff we've never heard before from the 60's. the owner of Sierra hyped up the Parsons box so let's see if this Clark reissue is hype or if his friends on this message board are actually speaking the truth in that there may be some genuine, unheard of Gene Clark that Sierra will be able to deliver...When you run a good reputable business you need to deliver on what you promise and deliver that item/good on time. I understand that issues will arise but the Parson's boxset was a debacle...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

What do you mean by this? The press release quoted in the first post of this thread says this new release is being done "in association with the Clark Estate" which is represented by his two sons. It doesn't get any more legitimate than that, unless you are suggesting that Sierra is lying about the Estate authorizing this release. That seems unlikely to me.

Just curious, are you someone who personally had a bad experience with the order of a Parsons box from Sierra?

10. mobygrape85

mobygrape85 New Member

No - I apologize - I was lazy when I wrote the above message. I understand its a legit reissue which is authorized by the family. This I do not take issue with. But someone above had mentioned that some of the tracks are on youtube in poor sound quality and most likely from a bootleg source. Some of these tracks may make it to the reissue albeit in cleaner sound. Meaning from a hardcore Gene Clark fan perspective and as mentioned above, my feeling is that many of the tracks won't be anything new to people like myself - Ive heard many of these songs - this is what I meant by not being legit. Will there be songs that the hardcore fan has never heard - my guess is I doubt it. Not sure why people are so defensive regarding this....

Lets say this - I am someone who bought the Parsons boxset.....I enjoyed the set but remember it took quite a while to appear and not all of its promised contents were there when delivered....

11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I understand where you're coming from as far as being skeptical, but how about we let the prevailing attitude in this thread be one of enthusiasm for this release? I've heard the tracks, I know what's out there and what's not, and this release will be loaded down with material that's not out there and that few outside the tightest of circles has ever heard. I predict your skepticism will completely dissipate once the track listing is formally released. I think you'll be very excited, in fact! But we'll see.

Mike Griffiths, zobalob and Maggie like this.
  12. Clarkophile

I don't think anyone has been defensive here. I get the impression most of us are just baffled by your cynical attitude.
    Look, there's many hardcore Clark fans here -- you're not alone in that regard, and as a new member you may not have been aware of it -- so why not just enjoy what's happening along with the rest of us?

I can assure you Rhett knows what's what.

13. mobygrape85

mobygrape85 New Member

there's no cynical attitude here - just been there done that. I collect vinyl for many years (not so much into cds but have them). These forums are for debate and expressing ideas, likes, dislikes, etc. I didn't do anything wrong here. If JD didn't come through with his promises not my fault.

But here's another example of a reissue that was handled poorly - who bought the Pretty Things box set? Much of that was available in bootleg form - with the exception of the Parachute demos - aka Westbourne Terrace Demos, which weren't anything to write home about. The box set was hyped as having a lot of unreleased stuff that Pretties fans would dig but didn't really deliver as far as I'm concerned - I am not even going to mention the outrageous price for this box.

I guess we will have to wait and see for the Gene Clark reissue....I think those who expressed concern (myself included) because of prior experience with Sierra have every right to do so. On a positive note the reissue Big Beat released for the Stained Glass was great and done the right way - featuring lots of cuts that collectors didn't even know existed....

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IIRC, based on his copyrights in the Library of Congress, Gene did record at least publishing demos of songs in 64 and 67. There's a different level of credibility with his sons behind this.

Mike Griffiths, davenav and zobalob like this.
  15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Let's look at the bright side, this should sell to two different camps; the Clark fans plus the peoplewho will buy ANYTHING as long as it is on a SACD. In other words it should sell quite well and it is best to secure a copy as soon as it is up for preorder.

16. Clarkophile

Whoa, just a second here. I never said or suggested you did anything wrong. I just invited you to share in the positive excitement that many of us are feeling. You are certainly welcome to carry on doing whatever it is you're doing. Knock yourself out.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Mike Griffiths, davenav and zobalob like this.
  17. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

When a label mentions including "previously unreleased" tracks, they mean never before "officially released", not never before "released on bootleg".

18. mobygrape85

mobygrape85 New Member

I understand but most folks buying that box set know the difference between an official release and bootleg. a lot of it comes down to the seller trying to hype up their release so it sells....I didnt buy the Pretties boxset...it wasnt worth the money. Aside from the documentary, vinyl record and the two "rarities discs" it was all standard stuff that's been reissued a zillion times before. I've heard the Parachute demos..the one item I wanted to hear from that boxset was the studio version of Turn My Head - anyone hear this track? The BBC version is very good...

19. Clarkophile

Send an email to the following address to be put on the priority list for the fall Gene Clark release:
    [email protected]

Note: Those that previously subscribed to the list at [email protected] have already been added to this new list, so they don't need to resubscribe.

20. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I'm in--thanks!

As a recently-afflicted Clark obsessive, I'm glad to be around others with my condition :)

indigo_m likes this.
  21. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

And this teaser has just come through from Sierra Records:

"...the album will included the only two existing tracks from the original 1967, 8-track, 1" studio master tape recording (the so called "Hugh Masakela" session) of "Don't Let It Fall Through" and "Back Street Mirror" with Leon Russell, Clarence White, Hal Blaine, etc. among the studio musicians."

22. Clarkophile

Yes, and if that tidbit alone doesn't have you swinging from the chandeliers, I don't know what would make you happy.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  23. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Thanks to PeteH for the great news...
    I've been so busy I missed the email. :(

Kudos to others for any info regarding the contents of this release...
    To be truthful, I'm not a huge Gene Clark fan (yet). I'm a fan of his Byrds material, so I think it's just matter of time...and some dedicated listening sessions...
    Yet I realize how promising this release can be, especially to his hardcore fans.
    I'm prone to believe those that have provided any "inside information".

Despite any skeptical postings, and unfortunate individual transactions, my experience with Sierra and Delgatto has been great. I've received everything I've ordered from him.
    (When I ordered the Gram/Fallen Angels live 73 CD from him a few years ago, there was a slight delay due to him moving to a smaller office, so stock was literally in boxes. That's when I learned Sierra is literally a one-man operation. Honestly, reading posts then by critics had me a little concerned....However, he was true to his word and delivered. The CD also. :righton: )
    And, no, he's not my friend, relative, etc

That's my 2 cents...
    As the saying goes, I don't have any horses in this race...

Mike Griffiths and davenav like this.
  24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

This sounds like a tantalizing collection indeed. I'm not familiar with these rare '67 sessions that are being discussed here, but I'm curious to find out more. Here's a rare cover of "Back Street Mirror". Can't wait to hear Gene's version!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  25. Clarkophile

Now we won't have to imagine Gene's voice in place of David Hemmings' warble!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.