Gene Clark SACD of unreleased recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PeteH, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yeah, I got the Sierra email today.

Is John Delgatto going to release one song title at a time to continue to kill us with suspense and whet our appetitie for this eagerly awaited release?!? I may be a drooling fool by the time it gets released:drool:

pobbard likes this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Does anyone know if this CD is a real silver pressed CD?

3. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

A bit of a silly question this. Sierra records is a real label with quality reissues. The first 'Kindling Collection' by Gene Parsons was even a gold cd.

lightbulb likes this.
  4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

As discussed throughout this thread, it is going to be a hybrid SACD (SACD layer and CD layer), not just a CD and definitely not a CD-R.

elvissinatra and lightbulb like this.
  5. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Please please please find the multitracks for "Why Not Your Baby". I would kill to hear a nice stereo mix of this.

6. drummerdogg

drummerdogg Forum Resident

He pretty much looked the same as on the White Light LP at that point. At least use one of those, or a photo from the Byrds Reunion which was at the same time.

7. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Actually, not a silly question. Sierra (at least as a mail order outfit) sells some CDRs without identifying them as such. In this case it is a hybrid SACD, so not the case here.

8. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I've ordered dozens of CDs from Sierra, and none were CD-Rs.
    (This is off-topic, but important considering the accusation.)
    So, to me, it seemed like a silly question.

Clarkophile likes this.
  9. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

To me too, never I noticed John selling cd-r's.

lightbulb likes this.
  10. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Right. Not the case here. That was made clear earlier -- in the title of the thread, as a matter of fact, and elsewhere by John Delgatto himself. So, yes, it was a silly question.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    lightbulb likes this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The reason I asked that question is because my copy of the Sierra edition of Gram Parsons "Live 1973" was a gold CD-R. Not sure if all pressings were like that, but the Gram Parsons "Early Years" box set in 2010 was done on silver pressed CDs. For example, a gold pressed CD like a DCC title is very different than a gold CD-R disc.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Got this email today from John... last paragraph might be telling to those following this thread.

Just a short email notice to let you know your order for the "new"
    John Hartford releases will be shipping next week. The separate DVD
    arrives late tomorrow and the two separate CDs sets (one includes the
    DVD as well) are arriving the first of week.

You are only one of 15 who placed an order for these John Hartford
    releases! With over 4000+ on the email mailing list of previous
    buyers, it would seem interest in either in John Hartford's music and
    or new releases in general has dramatically fallen off. As a result, only
    30 copies of each have been imported of these titles and that will be it.

This only puts into question the wisdom to release this upcoming Fall
    2015 our own Sierra Records' of "Gene Clark:The Lost Studio Sessions
    1964-1982".

Your friend in music,

John Delgatto,
    Founder/President

I for one hope to hell it doesn't influence him to cancel releasing these long lost recordings of our man GC. Wouldn't that be something... not enough interest to justify the expense. Doesn't bode well for the future.

13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I think there's a LOT more interest in Gene Clark than John Hartford at this point in time. There was an Indie all-star tour of No Other performances a couple of years ago. But it is a depressing perspective.

It's nothing new, but it is getting worse and worse. I have a friend who worked for one of the big labels and dwindling sales shelved a number of reissues starting 10 or 12 years ago. I can't remember what the break-even sales threshold was... something like 4,000 copies. In the 1990's and early part of this century they could count on sales of six or eight thousand for just about any vintage Soul or R&B release, but after a while they were lucky to ship a couple of thousand and they just stopped reissuing anything with an aroma of "obscure."

14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Bad foreboding.

From all the responses and interest generated on this thread alone about Sierra's pending Gene Clark releases, to me it sounded like a winner.
    (Maybe if this thread was a poll "Will You Buy the Upcoming Gene Clark CDs?"...)

However, I know John Delgatto needs more than just a few dozen forum
    comments posted here to reassure him his business expenses will not be a financial loss.

At least, All those that are interested in this and other pending Sierra releases (which John mentions are Gene Clark, Gram Parsons, Randy Meisner, Clarence White, and more) should go to "sierrarecords.net" and sign up for the mailing list.
    There's also some great prices and blowout sale items.

Hopefully the spike of interest will give him some optimism.

15. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I'm a newcomer in Gene Clark's recordings, but I'm really interested in that SACD. I would like however first to know which unreleased tracks are to find exactly at that album.

16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Hopefully the project has too much momentum to be unplugged at this late date. At least old fart music fans still buy CD's... some of us, anyway.

17. Clarkophile

It's my understanding that the vast majority of the material is previously unreleased -- and unbooted, to boot.

18. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Breathe easier -

Please excuse the follow up email, but a tiny handful (2) asked about my
    comment regarding the Gene Clark album set for the Fall of 2015.

The bottom line is the album will be released as planned, whether only 10 copies
    are sold or 10,000 or more! And yes, in due time, the complete song list will
    be announced. But since most of the songs have never been published, the
    titles probably have little meaning to many. Gene was quite a prolific
    songwriter to match his terrific singing. Fortunately these songs were
    captured not in some home demo recording setting but in several major
    recording studios in Los Angeles/Hollywood.

John Delgatto,
    Founder/President

Revolver, ted321, indigo_m and 10 others like this.
  19. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I really can't argue about who generates the most interest. Might be hard to judge and depends on what circles you move in. There is a festival held every year (this was the 5th annual) in John's honor. It was this past May at Bill Monroe's Memorial Music Park in Bean Blossom, IN. The headline acts included HotRize with Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers, New Riders of the Purple Sage, The Hackensaw Boys, Split Lip Rayfield, Jamie Hartford and Friends, and Horseshoes and Hand Grenades among others. Is there a festival for Gene? Not that I'm aware of but there should be! There should also be a Bluray/DVD release of that 'No Other' tour for us that didn't get to see it!!

Guy E likes this.
  20. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I was unaware of all of that.

If that's the case, the non-existent interest in a John Hartford reissue is all the more depressing, although it may be a case of his aging fan base being less inclined to seek out music directly from Sierra on the Internet. Gene Clark is someone who has been rediscovered by younger fans, and they're probably more inclined to buy a collection of previously unreleased recordings. At least I hope so.

The two No Other performances at the Music Hall of Williamsburg sold out, which surprised me... I didn't get tickets in time. That's not a huge place, official capacity 550, but it was an event.

Clarkophile likes this.
  21. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

There's also a big difference when comparing the Sierra John Hartford releases to the Sierra Gene Clark SACD. The Gene Clark consists of unreleased material and the John Hartford material (except the DVD) has all been available previously on CD.

A John Hartford fan may already own this material. The Raven 5 Essential Albums set has been available for over a year, and the Camden set (John Hartford/Iron Mountain Depot/Radio John) was released in 2002 although now it looks like it's out of print.

22. Clarkophile

As Gene's erstwhile Byrds colleague would say, I trust it will all work out.

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

This thread has already cost me $ as I had neglected to add the Floating World 2 disc set mentioned by @Clarkophile earlier in the proceedings. Thanks for the reminder.

Clarkophile and lightbulb like this.
  24. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

Since we're mentioning the Gene Clark No Other Band's performances (as an aside)...I saw their appearance at the End of the Road festival in England last year, which I think was the only European show. It was incredible and extremely moving. And a wonderful tribute to Gene.

I can't wait for this forthcoming release.

zobalob and Clarkophile like this.
  25. Clarkophile

Anyone who signed up for email updates will already be aware of this, but in case you haven't, I'm delighted to report that that the forthcoming set WILL include "Back Street Mirror" and "Don't Let It Fall Through" from 1967.

Revolver, Catbirdman, wayne66 and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.