Gene Clark SACD of unreleased recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PeteH, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Same here, no DVD and no motivation to chase it down.

2. Martin Stockdale

Martin Stockdale Active Member

I signed up here to specifically post this comment - like many other I ordered mine 18 months ago - deluxe edition - received the CD and bonus CD but no sign of the LP or DVD despite it apparently being sent twice with no evidence of tracking to back this up - very disappointed at this point. No response to emails, so not really sure where to go from here.

3. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

Hi there. I can empathise with you as I am in pretty much the same boat.
    However, I did receive another email from Mr Delgatto on 16 September, which I shall paste below verbatim:

I just received notice from Atlas International Mail Inc that the balance of your order for the Gene Clark Ultimate Edition was left the USA and on its way to you via International Priority. They will have tracking numbers to me by Monday so that I can follow their progress in making sure they make it to you this time, finally!
    Again, it has been one hell of mess but the bottomline has always been to get your order to you.
    Regards,
    John Delgatto, Founder/President

Martin Stockdale likes this.
  4. Martin Stockdale

Good luck with that - maybe there is still hope??

5. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant Pepper Forum Resident

I have received the same message from Mr. Delgatto as kyodo_dom.

More than 18 months we're receiving lots of apologies and explanations. I don't believe in anything Mr. Delgatto has said. If he would put the same energy in shipping the paid items we all would have received the new Gene Clark edition. But I'm afraid we'll get another lame excuse in a couple of weeks.

6. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

Believe! Mine just landed on my doorstep in Toronto. Looks great!

7. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

Yup, believe indeed! This very special byrd has finally managed to make it across the Pacific. Just touched down today and it looks mighty fine.

indigo_m likes this.
  8. Martin Stockdale

I'll (probably) feel a whole lot better when mine arrives.

Brother Maynard likes this.
  9. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Hopefully there can be discussions about the music soon instead of the problems with shipping. :D

10. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

Indeed! I listened to the vinyl last night. Very good pressing, no complaints about that except for a slight ticking noise towards the end of LP1, side B, but nothing a quick clean shouldn't fix. I re-read the notes that @Clarkophile had made for the LP on his blog, and paid particular attention to the Nyteflyte tracks. I know a lot of people (inc. @Clarkophile :) don't care for this version of "The Letter", but I've always loved that song, and even if GC wasn't at the top of his game I'm still pleased to have a version on which he's singing. And I thought the comment about Michael Clarke's drumming on the final track was spot on. I'm definitely going to spend some more time with the '69-'70 acoustic session tracks on LP1, side B over the weekend. I hadn't listened to them for a few months, since the CD edition arrived, and had almost forgotten what an unexpected treasure they were.

indigo_m likes this.
  11. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

No LP/DVD yet.

Emailed JD.

Ordered February '16.

Oh well.

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Getting closer:cheers:

13. AppleCorpse

AppleCorpse Forum Resident

Mine LP and DVD have arrived.....I'm sort of amazed.

indigo_m likes this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The Gene Clark chapter of Rogan's new book sheds some light on some of these songs. Amazingly, he describes other songs in existence (actually recorded if not copywrighted) that are as good as the best of these. The last 20 pages of Gene's story is a convoluted narrative about his personal ups and downs and many folks drifting in and out of his musical and personal life. His estate seems to be a complicated affair, to say the least. It's amazing this cd ever came out, it'll be more amazing if we hear more, outside of a Gene Clark symposium.

I always wondered why Gene wasn't on Warner Brothers at least once as solo artist in the 70's. They might have had the means and promotional ability to effectively direct his career. He certainly was prospectively more commercial as an artist than, say, Randy Newman.

Yorick, indigo_m and Hep Alien like this.
  15. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Those 69-70's acoustic tracks are truly amazing. They're the unbelievably good songs. I'm especially stunned by "The Awakening" and that it wasn't included on White Light. I can't figure that out at all. Gene abandoned so many good songs! The Clarkophile's blog post on the Lost Studio Sessions is very interesting, isn't it? Glad you went back to re-read it.

Hep Alien and Clarkophile like this.
  16. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I emailed John 4 times since Wednesday this week only getting a reply when I enquired about another album in the hope of drawing a response.
    It worked.
    John said something about 'rehipment' then 'getting a tracking number next week' followed by using an 'independent shipping company next week.'
    No word of apology for not answering my earlier emails which he must have received.
    I still don't have much confidence of receiving my LP/DVD part of my order.
    I do know this, I will never order anything from Sierra Records and John Delgatto ever again.

17. Smith

Smith I'm cyanide over you.

Mine arrived yesterday.

Haven't opened it to see if the DVD was included.

A printout of an apology and some more explanation was included.

Today I received this via email

On the customs declaration of the box I received, the declared value was for 14 LPs and a total of 324 dollars.

It was mailed on September 14th and the address was correct.

18. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the note, it explains a lot.

19. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

It looks like it's arrived in Scotland, however all I have at the moment is a customs notice telling me I have an additional £28 to pay before I can get my goods...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

looks like that explains the mysterious customs card that arrived here in the South West of England.

JonMcK likes this.
  21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Outrageous.

I think mine evaded customs charges, but I also think my name is pinned to a wall of a vengeful customs officer, as I'm getting more and more of them recently.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

The post I quoted earlier mentioned it being the fault of the courier company, so hopefully those of us affected can get a refund.

23. corey dan

corey dan Forum Resident

Strange (but understandable to a point) how this thread became a complaint line for the label's poor business practices but the music itself is hardly mentioned.

Since we are drifting off-topic, what is the deal with notices I have seen about an upcoming release of "Gene Clark Sings For You"??? Anyone have details?

indigo_m likes this.
  24. Next Year's Man

Next Year's Man Forum Resident

Which notices? There was a post on this thread(#1377) a couple of months back which stated that a website called The Nashville Sound listed it as a forthcoming release on Omnivore Records for this year but this has been denied by the record company.

According to Johnny Rogan's new book, Sid Griffin submitted a plan to Gene's Estate release Sings For You over a decade ago which included a 1965 demo That's What You Want but never got any kind of response. He followed it up but sadly relations between Sid and the Estate have gone sour which is why he hasn't been involved in any of Gene's releases since.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Omnivore never denied the possibly of an upcoming release. Here is what they sent to Byrds Flight website contributor J.P.M. when he inquired directly regarding the rumor:

"We do not have anything scheduled, so I’m not sure how (or where) that information would have originated from. May I ask where you heard about it?"

There's a big difference between stating no such upcoming release exists and "we do not have anything scheduled". Something definitely appears to be in the works and the final details being worked out.

Byrds Flight also reported that a well known person in the Byrds circle stated: "The GCSFY is coming out I believe before the end of the year. I believe there may also be bonus tracks."

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Hep Alien and Next Year's Man like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.