Gene Clark SACD of unreleased recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PeteH, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

There's always a temptation to read too precisely into each word of a comment...but why let that stop me? :p Einarson says:

“there’s going to be a new archival release coming out in early 2018 that’s going to blow away dedicated Gene Clark fans – it’s the holy grail of Gene Clark releases…”

This would seem to strongly suggest Gene Clark Sings For You. The definite article "the" in front of "holy grail" makes it sound like a singular recording rather than a smattering of recordings from different sessions/years. Gene Clark Sings For You fits that description, as having been unheard by a vast majority of Gene fans and being a "lost album" from a period in Gene's recording career that is of great interest his followers has given it a mystique. And I assume that, like me, Einarson has heard all these tracks and knows that it will likely only wind up appealing to "dedicated" fans. :p

Plus there's been buzz about it coming out. If so, then I'm guessing the early denials of its release from Omnivore are down to still needing to get certain ducks in a row before release.

And if you took a poll of what from Gene's past constitutes a "Holy Grail" I think Sings For You would win by a healthy margin.

If it's Sings For You, naturally I'll be thrilled to have it officially released. I can "hear through" the rough edges of its recordings to the genius within. Casual listeners will almost certainly not be able to. Us "dedicated fans" will snap it up, though.

My personal "holy grails" include the Gene Clark Group session, a complete No Other recording sessions box set, live Dillard & Clark, the Hour Glass session and "Communication". I've heard the latter three and they're worthy of "holy grail" status not just as curiosities but actual listening experiences.

2. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Did you get Einarson's quote from my newsletter or from listening to the interview?

3. John Rhett Thomas

From the site I linked to...is that your site?

4. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Sorry- - didn't see the link! Yes, that's the newsletter for the Gene Clark website. The clue is in the newsletter...that's all I can say. :shh:

Hep Alien and Ram4 like this.
  5. ady_lister

ady_lister Well-Known Member

My 2LP finally showed up in UK today.

But I'm still missing the rest of the set (box, DVD and SACD)

How did everyone else get theirs? Especially UK orders? i.e how many different shipments / parcels?

I noticed that my paypal transaction cut my house number off the shipping address so that may be where things
    went wrong. My house number is written on in biro - presumably the sorting office at my end matched my name up.

That means the likelyhood of the other stuff turning up is reliant on my postie noticing "Oooh that must be for the guy
    I keep having to deliver all those big square things for..."

I've emailed Sierra to see what they know.

Thanks in advance if you can offer any insights.

(I darn't open the record in case I have to send it back)

Martin Stockdale likes this.
  6. Next Year's Man

Next Year's Man Forum Resident

Is it more tracks from the Laramy Smith sessions in 1968?

If we are getting these plus Sings For You over the next 6 months I'll be absolutely over the (silvery) moon!

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Well, that's alright by me, too!

Hep Alien and indigo_m like this.
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Don't think there is a box. I got the SACD months ago, and last week I got an email saying that the LP has been returned and would be shipped again with a different carrier (same as others were informed). I assume DVD will come with it, but I don't really care about that. Sierra will probably not reply to you quickly if at all.

9. John Rhett Thomas

Okay...I see what you did there! :p

Hep Alien and indigo_m like this.
  10. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I am still waiting for my vinyl copy and DVD. I emailed John D. Several times via his Sierra on line site. He must see ALL the emails because surely not all the correspondence he receives is to do with this Gene Clark SE. I finally received an answer after sending him a bullpoo enquiry about a John Fogerty release, he then had to answer my other emails.
    His reply was the same stupid tale of woe, a postal conspiracy against big square parcels*. A week later he informed me that a replacement LP had been shipped, I await without anticipation.

*I had a lot of sympathy with John D. until he ignored my emails and then he spins his bullpoo tale of....see above.
    Sierra Records? Sierra B@ll@cks.

11. speck

speck Forum Resident

As someone who has heard "Gene Clark Sings for You" a couple of times, I really hope it gets released. Whether it is the mysterious archival release or not, who knows? I attended both Listening Symposiums in 2011 and 2014 and definitely want it in my collection. It really depends on what kind of fan and collector you are. Personally, I am a completist and would like to hear any and all Gene songs. I have the ability to handle lo-fi recordings and can envision "what-if." Gene was a fascinating musician and the GCSFY recording comes at a critical juncture in his life and musical career. There is plenty to sink your teeth into if you like his lyrics. The melodies are there too, just obscured at times by the poor accompaniment and arrangements. Take "That's Alright By Me." That song blossomed into an all-time classic (IMHO) given the right backing and some editing. I don't want to go the rest of my life without being able to listen to "7:30 Mode" anytime I want. Unless something else turns up, GCSFY is the only way you are going to hear the these songs. I say that they are worth hearing. Most definitely. But that is me.

Additional thought: GCSFY would make a very cool Record Store Day release (of course, in very limited numbers). Also, why not make it available via download at a GC sanctioned site? That way it should fall into the hands of the serious Gene collectors who really want it and not mistook as a more mainstream release.

12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

"Communications" is the key song for me, based on what I've read. And the one or two songs from the Byrds second album that 'may' have been recorded but probably not. Just think that a song as cool as "The Day Walk/Never Before/The Emptiness" sat in the vaults for so long, a song so cool it has three names!

Next Year's Man and Hep Alien like this.
  13. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Well your clue pretty much tells me what's coming out and absolutely I'll take it. I don't usually like to hear out of tune instruments, I play by ear and it bothers me, but it's unreleased Gene Clark.

I love how the Lost Sessions was called a holy grail and now another one is coming out. But that's alright by me. It's so cool that these things are finally getting around to the public after 50 years. That's long enough!

Next Year's Man and Hep Alien like this.
  14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I just got an email that the LP shipment was returned and has to be reshipped. Hard to believe he still can’t send an LP to Canada :cheers:

15. ady_lister

Ah, OK I've checked the pic on Sierra website and it looks that way, I just assumed it would be like the Gram Parsons Early Years
    with the LPs and SACDs in a box.

I took the plunge and opened the LPs - there's a certificate - but no DVD

Am I correct that I'm waiting for possibly 2 more packages?:

1 The SACDs

2 A DVD (anyone got this know how its packaged? i.e in a case or just a card sleeve)

16. ady_lister

Apologies, forget the DVD bit - it's inside the gatefold (I only sliced down the shrink and disn't look hard enough) :doh:

indigo_m likes this.
  17. Martin Stockdale

Martin Stockdale Active Member

Still waiting here

18. johnny staccato

johnny staccato Forum Resident

Melcher himself cut the above tracks. A test pressing was made that included Beds of Roses and a seven minute version of Disney Girls cut live in one take with Bruce Johnston on piano.The pressing also included Melcher's version of She Don't Care About time.Its perfectly feasible to assume Gene also cut these tracks with Melcher.On the subject of this sublime Gene composition,kudos to Hillman for recording it, but i think i prefer the Ritchie Furay/Carla Olson version from a few years back.

Ram4 and Hep Alien like this.
  19. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

The two Gene Clark CDs I ordered in the summer through Sierra, arrived today!

They were mailed by Atlas Mail, which from what I see on their website is a company that "helps you master the challenges of mailing internationally."

All is right in the world.

indigo_m likes this.
  20. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I am still waiting for the LP/DVD part of my order, I don`t like having my intelligence insulted re: packaging targeted, Post Office conspiracy theories. This is a copy of my latest email to Suerra Records;

`Hi John, I`m really beginning to lose faith in you. I have emailed you several times at this address which I know is your contact address for Sierra Records. I also know that you are recieving my emails because you have answered them.
    Do you think it is right to have someone who invested money at the very beginning of the `GENE CLARK-THE LOST STUDIO SESSIONS 1964-1982` project hanging on for their order....... as I have, for NEARLY TWO YEARS?
    I am still waiting for the LP/DVD part of my order. I have defended you on the Steve Hoffman site when people were blaggarding you because they too were waiting for the long promised LP/DVD and here I am STILL WAITING.
    I know that you have been ill and have allowed for that but all this stuff about packaging being targeted by the US Postal Services which must now have been going on for about 8 months! C`mon John, Amazon tell me they can deliver tomorrow and from the price make a good profit. This is a project that I helped to fund so please send me the outstanding LP/DVD`.

I am sick of the B.S.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    rubberhead likes this.
  21. EboWalkerTexasRanger

EboWalkerTexasRanger Well-Known Member

Being one to always root for the underdog, I really hoped that this could've ended a little better for John/Sierra but my faith starting heading for the door a few years back when I bought a slew of titles on sale that turned out to be CD-Rs (and that wasn't mentioned anywhere in the description.) Some of which were supposedly Korean releases whose packaging style looked conspicuously liked Sierra's (eg. The Blue Velvet Band reissue)... But I appreciated what John was doing and the niche market he was serving. I mean, we're talking about a guy that went to the trouble of tracking down the tapes for Skip Battin's lost second album and then releasing them for crying out loud. I was looking forward to that one but I'm sure that you could count on your fingers the number of people total who bought that disc. Even when I could've saved money elsewhere I still went the Sierra route for the occasional non-Sierra release. I really dug what he was doing and wanted to be of support.
    I realize the guy has probably been having rough times as of late, but that's the point at which you realize you can't do what you used to and enlist some help.

richierichie and Hep Alien like this.
  22. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Just received an email -- all Sierra products are now 50% off for short period of time.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

This is mere speculation, but I hear the bells tolling for Sierra.

Which is too bad, but maybe better in the long run.

24. Rob Jenkins

Rob Jenkins Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat. Did you get a reply to that one?

25. johnny staccato

johnny staccato Forum Resident

..... on the subject of cover versions ... SANDS releases his new digital download double A side singe Let's Run with his cover of ECHOES on 27 October

indigo_m likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.