Gene Clark Solo Albums-album by album & *now* track by track on p. 23*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jan 23, 2018.

1. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

:laugh::laughup:

2. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

:love:

3. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Lurking!

lemonade kid likes this.
  4. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Seabass likes this.
  5. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Ahhhh, true, true...but I doubt it was his plan. No Eagles in sight yet. Good deeds rewarded.

bonus and Rfreeman like this.
  6. lemonade kid

Yes. A good one indeed, as I referenced at the beginning! But comments are closed and I wanted more than just a good read. I wanted new input...which are looking good, guys!
    Thanks for the link.

:tiphat:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    905, bumbletort, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  7. lemonade kid

Thanks. A good lesson renewed--never use wiki as your bible/single source!

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Wiki is only almost as good as the source it footnotes for a fact.

lemonade kid likes this.
  9. lemonade kid

Nope. Hence this.

10. lemonade kid

WHITE LIGHT

[​IMG]

White Light, aka Gene Clark, is the second solo album by Gene Clark, former member of The Byrds. It received critical acclaim upon its release,[citation needed] but only achieved commercial success in the Netherlands, where rock critics also voted it album of the year.[1] Like all of his post-Byrds records, it did very poorly on the US charts.

Clark's backing band on the album included producer and guitarist Jesse Ed Davis, bassist Chris Ethridge of the Flying Burrito Brothers, organistMike Utley, along with pianist Ben Sidran and drummer Gary Mallaber, both of the Steve Miller Band. Although Clark began another album for A&M, the label stopped the sessions before the album was completed. Those tracks were available in the Netherlands, but not released in the U.S. until 1994 on Roadmaster.[1]

Music critic Thom Jurek, writing for AllMusic, wrote the album "has established itself as one of the greatest singer/songwriter albums ever made... Using melodies mutated out of country, and revealing that he was the original poet and architect of the Byrds' sound on White Light, Clark created a wide open set of tracks that are at once full of space, a rugged gentility, and are harrowingly intimate in places. His reading of Bob Dylan's "Tears of Rage," towards the end of the record rivals, if not eclipses, the Band's. Less wrecked and ravaged, Clark's song is more a bewildered tome of resignation to a present and future in the abyss. Now this is classic rock."

-wiki

White Light-full album listen

Open for praise and comments...

11. lemonade kid

One of my favorite album covers too...of all time!

Back side-

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and indigo_m like this.
  12. lemonade kid

White Light: The Story

[​IMG]

The context: In 1966, Gene Clark left The Byrds abruptly and at the peak of their popularity, an odd move for the group's frontman and one of its prime tunesmiths and voices. He subsequently released a string of solo albums and collaborations that were as beautiful as they were bewilderingly ignored, from his baroque-folk debut Gene Clark With The Gosdin Brothers to The Fantastic Expedition Of Dillard & Clark, a 1968 masterpiece that partnered Clark with bluegrass star Doug Dillard and future Eagle Bernie Leadon.

By 1971, though, things were looking up for the former Byrd. During a wave of interest in singer-songwriters like Neil Young and James Taylor, Clark recorded White Light with ace guitarist-producer Jesse Ed Davis, as well as members of The Flying Burrito Brothers and The Steve Miller Band. Clark's personal life was on an upswing at the time: Newly married, he'd recently assumed a rustic, idyllic existence in upstate California, far from the substance abuse and rock excess of his L.A. days. But in spite of tons of critical praise, White Light sank without a trace—compounded by Clark's infamous reluctance to fly and tour...

...Defining song: Clark does justice to Dylan via White Light's gorgeous cover of "Tears Of Rage," but Clark's composition "For A Spanish Guitar" is a song that Dylan publicly admitted he wish he'd written himself. The most riveting track on White Light, "Spanish Guitar" opens with flickering acoustic guitars that cast light on a swaying, shanty-like waltz over which Clark croons of free men, slaves, and "the dissonant bells of the sea." In an agile, effortless leap of poetic grace, he segues from daydreams to sharp autobiography with the lines, "And the workings of sunshine and rain / and the visions they paint that remain / pulsate from my soul through my brain / in a Spanish guitar." More than just a heart-stopping five minutes of folk-rock perfection, the song is an insight into Clark's sensitivity, his creative process, and his very essence as a person—three elements that were inseparably intertwined on White Light.

for the rest of the story...

https://music.avclub.com/gene-clark-white-light-1798211738

with bonus tracks

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Beautiful, very understated album. Nothing that really screams catchy in the way many tunes on Godsin Bros did though, so I understand why it was not a huge sales success.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  14. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

You really skipping Dillard and Clark?!

Man at C&A and AlienRendel like this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I was surprised by that too. Gene doesn't have that many true solo albums (and technically Godsin Bros was not one either)

AlienRendel likes this.
  16. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

My new band had a go at No Other (title track) a few weeks ago during our first rehearsal. Great song to play and sing.
    Was the song ever performed live by Gene and a band? I've found quite a few covers on YouTube.

Love,
    Billy

indigo_m likes this.
  17. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Yes, Gene Clark with The Silverados in 1975. The live recording was included in the digital download card with High Moon Record's reissue of Two Sides To Every Story (an excellent reissue and worth getting if you love Gene Clark).

AlienRendel likes this.
  18. lemonade kid

Whoops...I always get that turned around!

19. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

How was Gosdin Brothers not a solo album? Just because Dickson tacked on their name? It was not a collaboration, they only did the backing vocals.

lemonade kid and Clarkophile like this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Just going by the billing. They add at least as much as Linda added to Ram. I thought Gene wanted them credited, no?

21. lemonade kid

The Fantastic Expedition Of Dillard & Clark 1968!

For some reason I am always placing this in the wrong order..and I have the vinyl right in front of me. A treasured album in my collection!

[​IMG]

Thanks guys! A bit messed up, but...
    We can discuss both ...sorry! My fave too!!

It was a Gene Clark vehicle too for me (and later on, I'll be posting his later works with Carla too!)

The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark is a country rock album by Dillard & Clark. The album was recorded in 1968, shortly after Gene Clark departed The Byrds for the second time, and Doug Dillard left The Dillards. The album is hailed by critics and musicians as a masterpiece of the country rock genre.

Clark's debut solo album, Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers, had been a commercial failure. After the dismissal of David Crosby from The Byrds, Clark had rejoined his previous band but after performing only three shows, he left the tour due to his anxieties and fear of flying. He then signed with A&M and began sessions for his debut album on his new label with instrumentalist Douglas Dillard. Bernie Leadon co-wrote six of the songs and also performed on the album. Due to Clark's refusal to tour, only a short series of shows at The Troubadour was the only promotion for the album and it too was a commercial failure.

Music critic Matthew Greenwald, writing for Allmusic, called the album "perhaps [Clark's] most brilliant recording... Graceful, spellbinding, and tasteful all at the same time. Absolutely essential."[2]

sjaca likes this.
  22. lemonade kid

"Before there was the Eagles, or the Flying Burrito Brothers, or Poco, there was "The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark," the 1968 country rock album created in Los Angeles by former Byrd Gene Clark and banjo player Doug Dillard." - L.A. Times

23. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

What?!??! I've never heard of this before. (First album is completely awesome, by the way).

The MEZ likes this.
  24. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I think it's one of his worst tracks, almost the only one I don't like.

Beech likes this.
  25. lemonade kid

Agree...to disagree!

rockerreds likes this.