Gene Clark With the Gosdin Brothers reissued on Sundazed CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

It's official! Here's the word from Clark biographer John Einarson, in a message posted on the Gene Clark board:

"Sundazed Records is reissuing Gene Clark's 1967 debut solo album with the Gosdin Brothers next month. The new disc is sourced directly from the original Columbia 2-track stereo LP master that were not found when CBS did the "Echoes" CD set in '91. So this is not remixed. The new CD also includes Gary Usher's original mono single masters for the proposed "The French Girl/Only Colombe" single which are quite amazing, more orchestrated than the stereo versions with vocal arrangements by Curt Boettcher and his band Ballroom on layered backing vocals (imagine the Beach Boys backing Gene). Session details and liner notes by John Einarson. The tracks are:

1. Echoes
    2. Think I'm Gonna Feel Better
    3. Tried So Hard
    4. Is Yours Is Mine
    5. Keep On Pushin'
    6. I Found You
    7. So You Say You Lost Your Baby
    8. Elevator Operator
    9. The Same One
    10. Couldn't Believe Her
    11. Needing Someone
    EXTRAS:
    12. Only Colombe (prev. unissued mono master w/ Ballroom vocals)
    13. The French Girl (prev. unissued mono master w/ Ballroom vocals)
    14. Elevator Operator (early version w/ different vocal track and no vocal overdubs)
    15. Tried So Hard (alternate version, more acoustic and w/ different vocal tracks)
    16. So You Say You Lost Your Baby (demo - different version than the "Echoes" CD, this one with Gene singing harmony vocals w/himself)
    17. Is Yours Is Mine (acoustic demo)
    "

The Boettcher mixes are the real thrill for me, but the other bonus tracks look inviting too.

2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm in! Thanks for the heads-up, Tom...I'll definitely be buying this.

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

This is outstanding!

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I'll be interested in how it compares with the stereo mixes on the Echoes CD. A great album in any form, stereo or mono.

5. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I'd be tempted to get this. I have the mono CD, but I would be interested to hear what Sundazed could do with the stereo mix.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

7. stever

stever Senior Member

Excellent news -- thanks for the heads up!

8. purepopper

purepopper New Member

Fantastic!!

This is great news, Mr. TomBoreen Man. Any chance that the esteemed Mr. Einarson will be contributing liner notes to this gem??

I'm with you (breath duly baited) waiting to hear the Boettcher cuts - these should be fantastic!

Thanks for the headz-up.

dirk

9. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Any chance we'll ever get Two Sides to Every Story?

10. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Curt and the Ballroom working with Gene Clark???!!!!!! Hot Damn, I want it and I want it now!!

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I assume you mean a remaster as it was released on CD for a short period many years ago?

12. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Man I hope they release a vinyl edition...

Dale

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The vinyl version was already released.

I've never heard the original mixes of the 8 remixed songs from Echoes. Is there much difference?

14. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Great news!!! I'm all over this. I've never heard the original stereo mix.

15. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Thanks. Was the vinyl version the mono or the stereo mix?

As kind of a follow-up (and not too much of a threadcrap I hope), has anyone actually heard Clark's Early LA Sessions lp? I searched but couldn't find anything definitive. If anyone's heard it, how does it sound? Does it have re-recorded vocals or other overdubs?

Preaching to the choir, but what a great album this is. I have the Echoes CD, a Columbia mono lp, an early 80s JPN CBS stereo lp, and I'm probably going to spring for the Sundazed.

One thing I kind of wish for is more acoustic demos. The demo on Echoes of "So You Say You Lost Your Baby" is wonderful.

Thanks for any info.

Dale

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Doesn't say mono or stereo about the LP on the Sundazed page here. My guess would be stereo. I doubt they'd do something different specifically for the CD. I bet it's similar to the International Submarine Band album, where they reissued the LP about a year before the CD but they are the same mastering and stuff.

17. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

This should be a nice reissue. Can't wait.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've heard a few of them once or twice. The original mixes seemed to have a little more "beef", which was nice. Not sure how much was just differences in mastering, though. Should be interesting.

19. caravan70

caravan70 Forum Resident

Excellent... thanks so much for bringing the news here, Tom! :)

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I got the Early L.A. album when it came out. It is a substantial remix, and most of the vocals were rerecorded in 1972. They also dropped "Elevator Operator" from the lineup altogether (something about it "wasn't up to the standard of the other songs"...phooey, it's a fun track!).

I've never over these many years sat down and done an A/B comparison, so I'll leave it to others to describe in more detail. But there are certainly differences...what stood out in my mind at the time as sounding really different was "The Same One."

All in all, it's certainly worth having...you really can't have too much of this great album.

21. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I think I read somewhere that Early L.A. was going to be reissued on CD soon. No idea where I saw it though..

22. Clarkophile

Someone wrote in to the Yahoo GC group and said that it had been slated for an '07 re-release by one of the reissue labels, but that because of licensing issues had been pushed back. No way to confirm this, unfortunately, and the person who left the message provided no further details.
    Apart from "MaryLou" and the flaccid remake of "Kansas City Southern" I think Two Sides is ripe for reassessment.

23. Clarkophile

I'm very excited about this aspect of the release. Gene, of course, had the Boettcher mixes nixed for the Echoes release, so it should be interesting to hear why he disliked them so much.
    I'm a huge Boettcher/Usher/Millennium/Sagittarius fan, so I say bring it on.:righton:

Yorick likes this.
  24. analogmaniac

analogmaniac Senior Member

I found a copy of the LP last week. It is in stereo.

25. Clarkophile

Collectors' Choice has Two Sides listed as "Not available yet"; apparently it is being held back because of legal complications for the time being.
    http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=CCM07612

Still encouraging news though. I guess when it does come it'll just be a straight re-release with no bonus tracks, in keeping with past releases from CC. It'll be nice to see it available again. There are some very beautiful moments on that record. Not the "remastered with bonus tracks" treatment I was hoping for (and which I think Gene deserves) ... but any Gene is good Gene.
    2007 is starting off well for Geno fans.:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.