Gene Simmons vault review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erickana666, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Thank you for the reviews, your music knowledge is impressive! I eagerly await the next review :righton:

2. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Sounds like this may not be for you.

If someone paid you $50,000 to go to their house, would you? Don't lie... Are you this disgusted when Paris Hilton gets paid $100,000 to show up at a party for 30 minutes?

I happen to think "It's My Life" is one of Gene's best song ever. To each their own, right?

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

huh? you must not know the history of this song

Tree of Life, Curveboy and Todd W. like this.
  4. Tedw9

Tedw9 No More Mr. Nice Guy

Wow, that’s really impressive. You are a hardcore fan to know so much. And you’ve not been repetitive that I’ve seen, each song has had something new and interesting with it. Very well done, I’m enjoying the hell out of them, so thank you.

bzfgt, Matthew Tate and Doggiedogma like this.
  5. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

Eric, Thank you for your insight on the vault songs. A close friend is going to buy the vault and I hope to hear the music later in the summer. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy your reviews for each cd. Enjoy the music.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. erickana666

erickana666 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Disc 4

Plaster caster (demo) : a longer bass intro, more more echo in the voice. In the liner
    Notes that Gene as not yet been plaster cast....

Xray eyes(demo): a favorite of mine, i like the demo version too, more a live version, i think that if they ever play this song live it will sound like this. Its a period of kiss that i like the obscure songs pop more oriented, there an extended solo, really cool. All the kiss members were clubbing, but Gene was in the studio in the middle, and he is the one doing the guitar solo onnthis, good job Gene, much better than Ace version.

Charisma (demo) imcan repete the same sentences than with x rayes eyes....another esclusive solo from Gene, wow im impressed. 2 gems fro me

Rockin in the usa (demo) a hommage of the Beach boys, they were missing songs for side 4 of alive 2 and they didnt want to repeat live songs done for alive 1, So bring back a songmfrom mid 70s, bob kulick played guitar because Ace never show up in the studio. The chorus is a bit different, very more beach boys than the original.

Radioactive (demo): it was about his relation with Cher....Jerry lee Lewis was supposed to play piano on this but at the end Bob Seger took his spot. It was done by Gene by himself on a day off. No long demonic intro on this vereion. I always found that this song should be more heavy, but the piano killed anything hewvy on this.

See you in your dreams tonight(demo): i was never a big fan of girls background for kiss, it worked well for Elvis but not kiss. Gene wanted to create a little to Shout it out loud on this. The quality at the end is not so good.

Man of 1000 faces (demo) : more rocking version than the original, cool to hear that version, a song that i like. It was about an old horror movie with the same title

Man of 1000 faces (demo) : Ace discovered some guitar effects on his pedalboard for this version, as a guitarist its ok to use specail effects butmnot for the entire song. Ace isnthe lead guitarist on this so its special becausemat the end the song wnet on gene solo album, but at first, they want to include it on side 4 of alive 2.

Calling drlove (demo) : after seeing a rerun of an episode of the 3 stooges, gene got the idea for dr love, Gene played the solo on this. For guitarist expert the song was created with acoustic chords, but fit well on electric guitar too.

Bad bad loving(rnrover) : the first version that will be calling dr love, not the same chorus. Peter Criss didnt eant to come to the studio, so the road agent is doing the drum parts and there a little drum solo in the middle. At least aace went to the studio this time to do the lead, with a extended solo. A lot of people throw rocks to Gene and Paul aboutnthe way they dealed with ace and peter, but the way peter and ace were i dont think they deserve the hate about the situation

Almost human (demo) : more cooler version, less static more live vibe, this version should be on the album instead of the version we know. Its about a novel about werewolves.

Buring up with fever 1 (demo) : different sound than the original, it was never a favorite of mine, but this version is more music instruments oriented, so maybe with a better sound and the way the song is played on the demo, it could have a been a better song overall.

True confession 1(demo) : we heard mpr the guitar riff on this oneit was written for destroyer at first, and finally went on his solo album 3 years later. There a tambourine kind of song through the song, im not a fan. They choose to put Sweet pain on Destroyer than this, it was a good idea.

Im going blind little lady (demo) : an indian type of music intro, going blind is a favorite of mine.a complete acoustic version with a keyboard too, no drum, echo in the voice, extended solo by Gene. A final completely different, nice to have this included

Larger than life (demo): its a blueprint of the version on alive 2 except there is for talking at the end. The producer wants to included new songs on alive 2 , but the situation in the band started to going on the wrong side, so they tookmsome left over songs and complete the live album with these songs.

Its my life (demo) its the version that was supposed to be on creatures of the night. It started with a song called A little bit of my heart that was supposed to be on a rock album after unmasked, they did maybe 6 songs for this album , Ezrin went on board put all the works done in the carbage, and do a concept album instead. The paul song are not included on this, but i have it on a bootleg. Its my life was one the favorite song of gene, finally they rerecorded it for pyscho circue, and then again not included on the release. At least finally it appears on the kiss box set.

This end disc 4, a lot of the demos on this one, new songs appeared on the next cds more, also on disc 5 a lot of stuff from the bob dylan/gene sessions. Stay tuned !

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

$5000 gets you 200 different versions of Good Girl Gone Bad and 1 Bonus Track "Gene Cuts One in Waffle House".

EVOLVIST likes this.
  8. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

A brand new setup?

9. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Four down, sixteen(!) to go!

Keep up the great work EricKana666.

10. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Not a big fan of Kiss by a longshot but this thread has been a very interesting read and fun to follow. Really curious as to what's on it's way from Gene.

Thanks for the reviews on the music Erickana, take care and best of health to you!

11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the crucifix is an awesome bonus gift :righton:

bzfgt, nodeerforamonth, 905 and 3 others like this.
  12. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

@erickana666

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I've been a KISS fan since Easter of 1976. So sorry to hear about your health concerns. I've been in home hospice care since late last March, so we're sort of in the same boat. Best of luck to you, brother. Stay strong, and enjoy life to the fullest!

Darryl

13. erickana666

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. erickana666

Thank you and i hope everything will be all right for you, Darryl, keep rockin'

15. Matthew Tate

omg now i want this boxset

16. :crazy:

giantleech likes this.
  17. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Yes, to each his own. Now I see Paul Stanley disputing Gene’s story of this song’s origin. It’s so bad and so derivative, I would think no one would claim to have anything to do with it. There’s a reason why it was left unreleased for so long.
    If I had millions and someone would pay me $50,000 to go to their house, I would say thank you but no thank you. He’s just a whore for money. He must be saying, how blessed am I to make all this money for creating lousy music. One thing he’s great at is merchandising. A genius and this box is another example of it. As far as music goes? Not even close.

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I want everything that is related to the Carnival of Souls album, not paying $2K for it though.

Juggsnelson and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It was recorded by KISS in '82 (unreleased)
    It was recorded by Wendy O. Williams and Gene in '84
    It was recorded by King Kobra in '88
    Rerecorded by KISS in 1998, and released in 2001

So a song that has lived several lives. Simple, effective and a great message.

20. Matthew Tate

you can't be serious. its an awesome song that kiss fans were clamoring to be released for years

bzfgt, Tree of Life, Curveboy and 2 others like this.
  21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

That wasn't the question. If someone offered you $50,000 to come over to your house, would you turn them down? Not IF you had millions would you....

I also want to know if you're just as mad at Paris Hilton for charging $100,000 To go to a party for 30 minutes.

Also, this is a nice thread with a couple people going through some monumental crap. How about not ****ting all over them and let them enjoy life?

22. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Exactly. There are folks out there who worship Kiss. If you're a mad Kiss fan then you're going to want this Vault. Non-mad Kiss fans won't understand it. Whether some of us can afford it or even want it is immaterial, this is a thread about the Vault and some guys here are lucky/crazy enough to own it.
    :bdance:

23. erickana666

Disk 5 review

See you tonite(demo): always been a fan of this song, the soft side of Gene and his Beatles influence. A song created in his teenage years with his best friend Stephen Coronel. The song was not was the demon of kiss wanted to be represented in kiss, but for his 1978 solo album it was perfect. This version feels like the live version on Unplugged album.

You my reason 2(rnr over): a great soft song for Gene, really like it. It was recorded during the recording of rnr over, but the producer said that it just doesnt sound like kiss, and Hard luck woman was the chosen ballad for the album.

Always near you( demo): the chords were Beatles oriented. His girlfriend of the time the playboy bunny Nancy Parkinson sang the background vocal, no bass or drum on this , only keyboard and guitar.

One more chance(78 solo album): its the frankenstein of the song mr make believe, but never mentionned mr make believe on this, so its the same music but its One more chance song. Really Beatles sounding, mr make believe one of my favorite from his solo album so this one is good too.

Now that youre gone 2(solo 78 album): recorded for his first solo album but was completed for the ass**** album instead. He wanted to recreate All the young dudes with Beatles sounding. Bob kulick plays the guitar parts on this. Its about his father and he felt abandonned by him.

Youre my reason for living(pyscho circus): really great soft song, but they want that peter criss sings the ballad on PC, to create beth 3 (hard luck woman was beth 2)
    I like the guitar interlude at the end. Good sound of this. We are one was a ballad from Gene for Pcircus they choose it instead of this one.

Dreamer (destroyer) : an ok song, but for me, is missing a hook to be a really grewt song, another soft song, the sound is good, but the song cant beat god of thunder, sweet pain, great expectations, so no chance to be featured on Destroyer

Na na na na (revenge): its from the session with Bob Dylan, it was not the style they want to go for revenge, so i understand that it was not included, Gene modified the song for his second solo album and became waiting for the morning light.

Mr make believe(demo): Lennon and McCartney were supposed to do the background vocal on this one, he got a positive answer but they didnt get back in time. He was to create about his interest with Disney fairý tales for his solo album, so he also recorded When a wish upon a star for the same reason.

Now that youre gone(demo) : its an electric version that was supposed to be on psycho circus, not my favorite

Now that youre gone(demo) : another demo for this song recorded for ass***, the only highlite of this one is that his daughter doing the background vocal

You my reason for living(demo) : no drum on this version, parts were used for the song Journey of 1000 years, one of my favorite song in the entire kiss catalogue.
    This cd is really songs softer,it put all ofmthem on the same cd, good, but i prefer variety.

We are one (demo): the lyrics are different, Gene said in the liner notes that the lyrics were I am a walrus and All you need is love in one song. I always thought that this song gonna be a success as a single and live too, sadly they never sang it live during the psycho circus tour, and the radio never played the single.

Everybody wants somebody(carnival of souls) recorded with Thayer on guitar during the conventions time after the revenge tour. Didnt fit well on Cos, some parts were bring back for waiting for morning light.

Bob Dylan sessions: just before Revenge sessions, this is some conversations during the sessions with Dylan, he hasked how kiss were writing their songs. Gene said that him and Paul do create songs together , each guys bring songs at the end in the studio, rarely they create together,. So this is more chqt than music, great for historia. We hear some guitar parts but not a complete song. It was a dream comes true for Gene, to bring Dylan in his house to jam on accoustic guitar with him.

Next cd will have more news songs and less demos. Guys the wqy i do these review, is from my first listening of each cd, so its kind a discover the songs at the same time that i wrote the reviews. Its cool for me to do that, brings me joy and i forgwt my disease during the writing of these reviews. Im trying to do one each day. Thursday im doing chimiotherapy so maybe i will skip a day or 2. But i cant wait to discover the songs with all of you Kiss fans. Thanks again to read me. Just like in a song from Gene, it gave me another reason for living.....

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So is there music on the box by Dylan and Gene or just conversation? Interesting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. erickana666

Music and conversations

Runicen, Matthew Tate and aoxomoxoa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.