Gene Simmons vault review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erickana666, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I never compared him to Vanilla Ice
    What does Paul and Linda singing backup on a James Taylor album have to do with Kiss? You act as if them singing with JT was some random occurence, but James Taylor's first album was with the Beatles Apple Records in 1968, in which Paul played bass on the original "Carolina on My Mind", so they already had a history.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I know and theres the asher connection, bad example, but its not unthinkable that paul wouldn't sing back up for a band (or gene solo) that was at the top of the charts...at least to me, john a lot less likely

3. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It just seems unlikely. There's was no need for him to chase after relevance at that point in his career, unlike now, recording with the likes of Kanye West and Rihanna.
    Plus, I don't think they would have been on his radar. They didn't chart or have much of an impact in the UK.

the pope ondine likes this.
  4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I think we are forgetting about the purpose of this thread. This is about @erickana666 receiving and sharing reviews on one of the highlights of his collection.

MikeMig, bzfgt, izgoblin and 16 others like this.
  5. Oh HELL yeah!

bzfgt likes this.
  6. This.

7. erickana666

erickana666 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Disc 7
    No conscience(hot in the shade) ; great rock song , during the writing h.i.t.s, gene and vinnie poncia (producer on dynasty, perer criss album, unmasked) wrote some song together. I always like this album even if most of the fans said its just a bunch of demos, somethin i preder that than too polished album like sonic boon.

Suspicious(crazy nights) : another great hard rock song from the 80s, created in collaboration with the first band of thommy thayer, black n blue. For these songs are gems, i like 80s hard rock songs, with great chorus, even its full commercial.

Everybody wants(revenge): antoher great new rock song to hear from the Revenge studio sessions. Maybe they didnt included because of the commercial chorus, and revenge was not that kind of album, i really love it, could have been a great single.

Promise the moon(crazy night) wow a another big hit, written during the sessions with the band black and blue. Perfect song for this era, much better than no,no,no from CN. Wow i love this cd, maybe the best with disc 1.

All you want is a pice of my heart (crazy nights): if you like 80s kiss stuff, this is your cd.
    Another song written with Thayer and Adam Mitchell producer of Cn, its a mix of electric guitar, with clean guitar at the time, so it gave it some new flavour.

Pride(ass***): another new song, very different than kiss, but its interesting, completely a kind that he cant put on a kiss album. In the same vein tahn Beautiful, its the same writer.

Mirage(HITS): Another great new song, very hard rock beginning ofnthe 90s, muchnbetter than boomerang, greqt chorus, cool,guitars parts. A÷÷

Dog(demo): the demo of the song on ass****, never been my favorite song, maybe this version is more live vibe. You knowmmy opinion of this solo, its ok thats it.

If a had a gun (demo): same thing that the other review for Dog, its the demo, ass** was not a good period of my life, divorce and eveything so maybe its why i dont have a lot of love for these songs.

I walk alone(demo): demo from cos, the difference is that is not kulickmon vocal but gene, a must have. Some parts are differents, kulick knew that it was his final run with kiss, so he asked gene if he can sing it, and moving to a solo career.

Seduction of the innoncence(demo): the chords of the song isnthe first song hemever created at age of 11, called " my girl bought me chocolate ice cream !"
    I always like this song of cos, so its fun to have the demo version

Lonely is the hunter (demo): gene prefers this version and me too, more raw. The story that Paul did most of the song on Animalize, Gene gave him the demos, and the band played it without gene, and since he was doing movies, they played all the parts and later gene puts the vocal on the songs.

Never gonna love you(first solo album): interesting very pop 70s, dance music, first time a heard gene doing that kind of stuff, its funny, its near jacksonmfive kind of song ! A motown kind of song.

I aint coming back (-first solo album) : another motown song from the same sessions very Supremes or Marvin Gaye kind of song. If he had released these song in 78, the fans would have been really pissed off.

Never gonna love you(revenge): themsame lyrics formmost of the parts, but now its a hard rock song , thanks god ! With Sinfer and Kulick it helps. Maybe too friendly for a Revenge album, butmgreat to have it, i like it.

So this his the end for disc 7, lucky seven, the most fun disc of the bunch so far !

905, dbturbo2, sunking101 and 17 others like this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

O
    The more I read your reviews, the more I Want this!! My cousin got his in Boston last weekend so I will get to see/listen to his set soon. I'm very happy to see that you are really enjoying this!!!

9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I notice the chronological order of these discs is all over the place. Are they ordered more for an interesting listen disc-to-disc?

10. erickana666

Disc 8
    We rocked all night ( sonic boom): an autobiographical song for Gene,really rockin' much better than most stuff of sonic boom. Rnr all night of the 2000s, bizarre that it wws not included because i think it was the kind of song they were looking for during this period.

Shes rotten to the core (revenge) : its not the same song than on monster. Its from Revenge, the song is a classic, really great works of Kulick. Really good vibe, great guitar parts,,bridge etc.... a÷÷

S and M love (sonic boom/sweet and dirty love): wow great sound, incredible song, its another version of sweet and dirty love, but the version that was supposed to be on sonic boom. Why it that not included,,i cannot believe it
    Its one of the song that i like of as**** with Cos.

Sweet and dirty love (demo) : less polished than the version on ass**** and the one thatmi just reviewed.

Jelly roll(rnr over) finally the recording with vocal of this song, i had the bootleg version instrumental. Parts were used to complete Rotten to the core and sweet dirty love later.

Just gimme love (psycho circus), parts were used to record You wanted the best. Complete different lyrics and different parts and bridges on guitar. I prefer this version since im not a big fan of YWTB on PC.

You wanted the best (demo) : guitars are more faster. Gene sang it alone this time.
    Better than the final version because of the speed.. In the liner notes, gene said that band to thismday hate the song.

Just gimme love(demo): more clean guitar than the other version, this version is recorded late 70s so maybe for Dynasty, no drum, but i like the vocal of gene,,reminds me his tone from late 70s.

Hit the ground, put your money, where your mouth is (sonic boom):good works on the music irom Thayer and Singer, some lyrics are missing , but a cool song more balls than the songs on sonic boom

Who said so (monster): great riffs, missing some lyrics, a mixedmofmthe Who and Motorhead. Sad that the song is not complete, but better a 1000 times than any song on ass***

Bad bad loving (dynasty): nothing to do with the demo of the same title that was the demo of calling dr love. The sound is like the ewrly 80s alice cooper albums like flush the fashion or zipper catches skin(albums that i really like) it can fit well on Unmasked, very late,70s,beginning of 80s kind of song. A÷÷

Im paralysed (demo): some parts are different than the song on revenge,,differentmlyrics, different guitar tone. Great big riffs. A rapper cames in the studio to rap in the middle, but gene hates it so removed it,,thanks i dont want a song scrapped because of rap like the song Illusions of power from the album Forbidden of Black Sabbath !

Chrome heart(hitsmor smashed...) Paul stole the title, but not the music. Complete new song. The song was recorder after crazy nights, so maybe it was for the compilation samshes trashed and hits or hot in the shade. A cool,riff

Till the end of time (cos) : really grunge vibe, mostly instrumental with a little parts of lyrics. When i hear this song its remind me a song from one song from one of the two albums of Eric Carr.

Thou shalt not (demo): its the instrumental of the song, only the title is sang.

So disc 8 is done, three left to do. The disc 8 gave us a lot of gems, new songs, and demos of songs that i really like from the revenge era. It was fun to review it. I though it didnt get the chance or the time today to,do a review butmmy chimiotherapy is only this afternoon. I will listen back disc 1 to 8. But i dont touch disc 9, because i will wait to,discover it at the same time of the next review. Have a nice day

905, yarbles, BurtThomasWard and 18 others like this.
  11. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

Eric, I'm really enjoying your reviews & love for the music. Thanks! Stay strong.

12. erickana666

Disc 9 review

Its gonna be all right(creatures of the night): finally i have a complete version of the song, on an old bootleg i have half of the song.the song did not make it on the album. Maybe not enough a fast song for this album, all of gene s songs on it are hard and furious, so maybe its the reason.

Its gonna be all right(asylum): bruce kulick some riffs and gave the song more power, trying to included on Asylum, but against it was rejected. The drum of eric carr is heavier so it helps the song, great solos from Kulick.

Everybody knows(sonic boom): an intro a la Rock botton from Thayer, great metal guitar too. Really great song much better than any stuff on sonic boom except maybe for Say yeah !. One guitar is heavy, and the other do a verse like rock bottom. Great job on this, great chorus too, a++

Everybody knows(demo): it is basicaly the same song, without the picking intro, it gave a different flavour except its the same chorus. Different verses, simmons show it to Bob Dylan during their session.

Youre all that i want(demo): finallymduring a day off, Paul came to the studio to work on this song that appeared on Unmasked. An acoustic intro, gene prefer this version that the one on Unmasked, i understand him. Bexause the producer of Unmasked created a poppy version of this one. Paul is doing the background vocals on this.

Kids with painted faces(psycho circus): little parts went for I am yours and parts for journey of a 1000 years. Really Beatles vibe, i like it. I like the lyrics about the fans. The verse is cool, a smooth solo, easy to play.

I wanna rules the world(demo): started with only gen on accoustic,,then the band entered. I really like the final version that was supposed to be on Psycho circus.

Rules the world too(carnival of souls)its a different song than i wanna rules the world. Gene used often the same title even if its not the same song, because he likes the title. Its zz top oriented with a grunge vibe. Imdont like the crowd noise in the middle. I hate when bands put cheap crowd noise on song,,just like in King of Rnroll from Ronnoe James Dio, great song but the crowd noises killed me when its not a live song. At least onnthismon its just a little part in the middle.

Damn im good(carnival of souls)a Doobie brothers chord pattern at the beginning, then heavy comes in. A egocentric song that Gene likes to create. I understand that its was a no from Paul to included this on COS.

Dial L for love (crazy nights): in the liner notes genemsaid it was for asylum or animalize, butnits frommcrwzy nights because adam mitchell is on board and he was the producer of CN. Eric Carr kind of song with big drum parts, hrewt sound,,super song for CN, much better than no no no

Just like the movies(dynasty): a latino disco beat, realy not kiss kind of song at least its funny to hear this, but thanks god it was not included on Dynasty, a riot from the fans for sure.

I know who you are(demo): the song was released on the deluxe version of the album love gun. Some lyrics were used later on his first solo album.

Sweet temptation(the elder): after Unmasked, kiss wanted to get back with their roots a big guitar rock album, they did half of the album, and they Bob Ezrin the producer came in, and put everythin in the trash, and start doing a concept album with them, trying to recreate the success of .....athe Wall. This song is from the album that we never heard withnsong like Dont run, a little bit of souls, deadly weapons, feel likes heaven and this one too. Pats were used to create only you for the elder.

Are you always that hot (crazy nights) another great leftover from CN. Bruce kulick do some furious solos and riffs on this one. Sex theme song that we used to get from gene at the time. Great drums paterns from eric carr, god bless his souls.

Fourever(dynasty): a good song for this era, but i hates saxophone, sadly. Even on album like dark sides of the moon, or motley crue songs on theatre of pain or even cadillac dreams from kiss, i hates saxo parts. So without saxo its a great song, but im not a big fan of the song bexause of this.

Only 2 cds left, by mistake i heard a bit of the song of disc 10, and there is a funny part on song 1. Hoping tomorrow for my next review, thqnks and have a nice day

13. erickana666

Disc 10 review

Take it like a man (sonic boom): the music is geat and complete, cool guitars, the chorus is complete. The lyrics are not complete it was suppoeed to be a song that all 4 members will sing a verse. The funny things is that Gene makes a imitation of each member: ace, peter,paul, really funny, much better than Ywtb

Take it like a man(hits): with bruce and eric they did the song hot in the shade, i prefer the version on guitar better for sonic boom. Not too bad, but the version from 1998 is so much powerful....

Have mercy baby(hits) complete song for hot in the shade, bruce is the star on this, great solos and riffs, and interlude.At the end of all the reviews i will put each albums with their rejected songs, to see how many songs were recorded for each sessions not counting demo.

We wont take it anymore(lick it up): finally a song rejected from the album. Eric carr created most of the song on guitar. I feel the vibe of lick it up all over this song.

My babe (lick it up): the second song from this session, maybe i little bit inferior than wwtia. The guiatr riffs are from eric carr too. Its an ok song but need some works.Rolling stones vibe.

Eat you heart out(dynasty): not the same song that the one we know. Putting this song on dynasty, would have gave more exposure of gene from this album, only 2 songs made the cut.

Nine lives(asylum): great solo from kulick, the chorus is a good melody. It can give a better vibe on Asylum with this song, much better song that most songs of gene on this album.

Howling for your love(rnrover): complete song ready to be on the album, its really the sounf of rrover and love gun era. Much better than love for sale. It was the big boom era for kiss.

I aint coming back(78 solo album): thanks god that these motown were never put on a kiss album, a riot for sure.

Granny takes a trip(cos): a grunge song from Carnival of souls, not aged well like most of the grunge songs. No song on cos can give his place for this one.

Piece of the rock(sonic boom: i like the atmosphere of this song. It was written with the first singer of vinnie vincent invasion , Robert Fleisschman. That song can be a hit, it would have help sonic boom for sure. Some interlude have the vibe of early 80s stuff. I love it.

Rock it(creatures of the night) very Fine young cannibals vibe, maybe too commercial for what kiss wanted for this record: big heavy songs. I like it because its different but it wont fit well on Cotn.

Sticky goo(cos): reggae and rock combinaison. The lyrics are not complete. Im not sure for a kiss album maybe it can fit well on his second solo album.

Love came to me(dynasty): disco song from gene. Vinnie poncia the producer wanted to do a complete disco album, but at the end only i wqs made for loving you made the cut. Another riot with this one, i always found out that dynasty was not a disco album except for one , the rest is pretty rock solid.

Roar of the greasepaint (demo of journey of a 1000 years): more harder than the version we know, the chorus dont have the same lyrics. The true version journey of a 1000 years, can make me cry really easy, one of my favorite song of kiss, i dont know why , but for me that song has a lot of emotions on it. Its cool to finaly get to hear the demo of this one. A++++

Its a nice way to complete the review of disc 10, have a nice day !

Paulo Alm, bzfgt, yarbles and 16 others like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

how many discs do you have left to review?

15. erickana666

Only one

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Hey Eric

I'm really enjoying the reviews man

You've done a great job and we are down to one disc

I was wondering...

After the last review

Can I "Borrow" the disc ;) so I can hear for myself...LOl

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. erickana666

Disc 11 review , the last one

Feel the heaven (elder): was supposed to be on the "rock" that never been between Unmasked and Elder..,,very dancey andnr and b song, a lot of synthezisers on it. I like it some may know the song to appeared on peter criss third solo album.

Obnoxious(love gun) : great song with some parts from Repuation and Plaster Caster. Really the vibe of kiss during the rro and lg era.

Mina-san mina-sa(samurai son): the gene proposed by gene for the samurai son album. The meaning is Everybody everybody. Like the song its the same vein than samurai song, should be the album to give some meat to this album.

Just begun to fight(dynasty): great drums on this, and the guitars are cool, a lot of little parts here and there, good chorus, and like the solo, really kiss 70s vibe.

Irs funny but it aint no joke(unmasked): an early 80s song, very commercial side oF Gene. A lot of effects during the solo. Chorus is great. Beut the song cant for sure the place of Naked city from unmasked album

Love by invitation(unmasked) from the same session, a jazzy sound , parts didnt sound like kiss. A saxo solo, instrument that i hate to hear on a rock album.

Dorothy lamour(unmasked): with Anton Fig , session drummer for dynasty and unmasked. Its about an actress from late 40s movies. Could fits wel on unmasked.

Queen of hearts(unmasked): written with the same writer than on Naked city, a synthesizer song, its different but i like -that kind of song. But not for every day kiss fans.

My lorraine ( wicked lester): an accoustic song with gene only, vrry norwegian wood from the beatled

Leeta(wicked lester): a demo from the song hear on the 2001 box set, not a lot of difference betweeen those 2. Where is Stanley the parrot ? Thanks god i have a good version on a bootleg because its maybe the only song not included.

Put on your slippers(wicked lester): i dont know if i am the only who like Wlester album, its different , but hoping that will release an official version of this album soon.

Gypsy nights(demo): a late 70s vibe, my information said dynasty but in the liner notes it said during the same time than feels like heaven, bu i dont think so.

Eskimo sun(wicked lester): its feels like Because , Bestles song and the abbey rosd album. Those prekiss songs are priceless for me, because they are very inflenc3d beatles, and some bizarre sounding from this era.

Nancy( wicked lester): an acoustic song with good verse, the chorus is very early doors or alice cooper, the wwy he sang it, a little short but good for what it is.

My uncle is a raft(wicked lester): not a very sound quality, but its for historic purpose, maybe his first song to ever be recorded. Ita a siklymlittle song

This is the way the vault ended. The last words from Gene " i have more unreleased tracks , but thats for another time......

Another vault or maybe another kiss box set with some of his songs notminnthe vault like stanley the parrot, and some of paul stanley songs that were never released...

Some kiss songs never released:
    -stanley the parrot (wicked lester)
    -none of your bussiness sang by peter criss (destroyer)
    -the council of the elder (elder)
    -deadly weapons sang by Paul (elder)
    -difference between men and boys(elder)
    -dont run sang by Ace (elder)
    -every little bit of souls sang by Paul(elder)
    -back on the streets (creatures)
    -sexy feel (lick it up)
    - suicide jam (lick it up)
    -street legal (crazy nights)
    -best man for you sang by Paul ((cnights)
    -dont let go sang by Paul (cnights)
    Sword and stone sang by Paul (cnights)
    When 2 hearts collide sang by Paul (cnights)
    Body and soul sang by Paul (psycho circus)
    Shocker sang by Paul, onnthe soundtrack of the movie but never on an official release on a kiss records.

So a little box set with these can complete what we dont have from kiss.

Paulo Alm, bzfgt, Tedw9 and 13 others like this.
  18. I didn't see anything in these discs dating back to 1966, or did I miss something? I mean, those Wicked Lester songs are at the earliest 1970, but from my understanding we're talking more late 1971-early 1972. :confused:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Thanks so much for sharing your Vault experience. It was fun to be on the ride with you. In the end would you say the Vault is more of a KISS collection than a Gene collection? Do you think he worked with past and current members to collect (and get permission?) to release this monster collection. I hope you are feeling better and that you enjoy the vault for many years to come.

20. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Are you really going to see anything from that far back (1966). Wasn't Gene in middle school then?

21. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

'My Uncle is a Raft' is from '66. Maybe 'My Lorraine' too. I think 'My Uncle is a Raft 'is supposed to be the first thing he ever wrote and recorded.

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  22. erickana666

Most of the songs before kiss were recorded 66 to 72 , i maybe put wicked lester, because i put everything before kiss on WL

Even if i fixed littles parts inside that was removed from the nails during the shipping. Just got an email, and they will send me another vault for free ! Really great service

23. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

This is great marketing. The fans love it. Pretty much Kiss in a nutshell.

24. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I really wanna hear this now.

This thread is really touching. Though the initial reaction by many, myself included, is that this is simply a Gene cash grab, that he's giving away some personal stuff makes me think he's recognizing that things are coming to an end. And I get the feeling there's a real part of him that wants to share this stuff, including his unheard music, with people who will appreciate it.

25. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Now if only there'd be a music-only version of the set for horrible, cheap fans like me to lay ears on it... :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.