Gene Wilder - RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sunspot42, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I was just on the phone to my mum and stopped in my tracks, when I read this. I said to her that I don't know she was much of a fan of his but he starred in some of my very favourite films and I always thought he was great; one of the best. And I was mentally listing some as I was talking. She sounded saddened and of course said what has been said countless times about 2016 being a terrible year etc. Who can blame her for that? I was thinking it too, anyway. Sorry, but I've only glanced at the last few posts - I'd usually read at least the first couple of pages and it's taken a good few minutes to attempt to type something comprehensible, here so am likely 'repeating' what others have said.

I would love now to put on the DVD of The Producers or Young Frankenstein or Stir Crazy or.... as a little tribute but couldn't bring myself to it. Maybe tomorrow - I just feel quite sad now. All the hours I've spent laughing, watching him onscreen - nobody can put a price on that.

Thank you and RIP, Gene.

The kindest of thoughts to his family and all those who knew and worked with him.

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

3. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Rest in peace, funny man. Thanks for all the laughs.

Willy Wonka
    Blazing Saddles
    Young Frankenstein

All masterpieces.

GeoffC, Moshe and pscreed like this.
  4. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Thanks, Gene.

Guss2 likes this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

:cry:

Guss2 likes this.
  6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Been a fan since I was a kid after seeing Stir Crazy. Last movie I saw him in was "See No Evil, Hear No Evil" the last, along with his partner in crime Richard Pryor. Then he disappeared but I remember hearing about him getting cancer in the late 90s and then he was gone. Besides all the movies mentioned already I think "Start the Revolution Without Me" is one of his most overlooked early performances. RIP.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  7. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Honestly, he may have been the most easily likable actor I've ever witnessed.
    He had the great ability to be the cool intellectual or the traditional nerd.
    Willie Wonka, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Silver Streak, Stir Crazy are the main ones for most of us, but even in just those five films, there are so many classic moments that he delivered perfectly.
    I like to think of him with Gilda tonight.

fr in sc, krock2009, GeoffC and 6 others like this.
  8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Imagine a 16 year old boy (that would be me in 1977) and I've just been bitten through my top lip by a doberman pincher dog, owned by my father's partner of a law firm. At the local doctor an hour later and I'm getting seven stitches in my lip and that very night, my best friends want to go to the theater to see the just released "Young Frankenstein" and like a fool, I go. Needless to say, I was in pure pain, at the same time that I was in pure joy, watching the great Gene Wilder on screen. I thought that I was going to die laughing so hard and hurting so badly, when they got to the "Put the candle back!" bit.

One of my all-time favorite moments of a motion picture is when Gene (as Willy Wonka) is asking Charlie if he liked the chocolate factory and then after Charlie answers Gene goes on to say, "I'm glad to hear that because I'm giving it to you". That line brings me to tears just thinking about it, just as this sad news does. Thanks Gene for allowing me to lose myself in the darkness of a movie theater for a few hours and always come out smiling, because of you!

9. Lots of folks assume that Mel Brooks came up with the concept for Young Frankenstein but it was a Gene. They made a brilliant team.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My hero gone. I know it's a cliche, but he was a true original A loveable madman. The great neurotic. I loved Gene so much. We once wrote a part for him into one of our scripts (which later became Night at the @@^# Museum).

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

A funny man and I'm sorry he's gone but he hadn't been in anything significant in over 30 years. Still, he's one the greats and his passing is sad for me. Take care, Gene.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Terrible movie but a noble effort all the same.

13. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

RIP Mr Wilder. I grew up laughing at your hilarious gentle humour. Your movies with Richard Pryor were awesome. Springtime is my favourite comedy ever along with Cook and Moore's Bedazzled. People will be laughing with your legacy for generations to come.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, ours was much better. We got bought my Disney and they ruined it.

guidedbyvoices and sunspot42 like this.
  15. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I could never forget him sitting by the curb drinking Woolite!:)
    RIP to a true talent and a guy who cracked me up

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    jhm likes this.
  16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

A very talented and versatile actor who will be missed on the Earth, but his legacy will always continue in our hearts and minds. He is the only Willy Wonka as far as I'm concerned.

ConnieGuitar and longdist01 like this.
  17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Always enjoyed him, watched my DVD of Quackser Fortune recently, but will revisit another, probably The Producers, soon.

RIP :(

18. putz

putz Forum Resident

Leo Bloom: Actors are not animals! They're human beings!

Max Bialystock: They are? Have you ever eaten with one?

lbangs and SGR like this.
  19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

R.I.P.
    Another piece of my childhood gone. :cry:

Darryl

SandAndGlass and Moshe like this.
  20. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

My Dad was a big movie fan and introduced me to The Producers. Fond memories of sharing that film with him. Rest in Peace Mr. Wilder.

Moshe likes this.
  21. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

If he had never been in another movie but "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" he would be remembered. You could replace that with the title of many of his movies and it would be true. He was a beautiful spirit.

MekkaGodzilla and sunspot42 like this.
  22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

A brilliant actor and comedian, and a great person. A huge loss.

R.I.P.

Moshe likes this.
  23. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I love his work. No one else could do confused, angry, composed, manic, gentle, kind and god knows how many variations of all these emotions so well. His face said so much, even in silence. A master of timing. SILVER STREAK shows all his talents off very well. RIP.

guy incognito, MRamble and GeoffC like this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm watching Young Frankenstein this weekend to pay my respect for one of the greats in comedy.

25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I love Young Frankenstein. I need to upgrade to BD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.