General Oppo Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by riddlemay, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an 83SE, but I suspect my question (and its answer, if there is one) may apply to other models.

In CD mode, and without a TV monitor being on, is there any way to start play on a track other than Track 1? I know how to directly access any track once a disc is already playing, but sometimes I'd like to begin my listening on a track that isn't Track 1, and I have never figured out how to do it. If there's a way, and you know it, please share.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I know of no way to do that even with the TV on.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. gammarayson

gammarayson Forum Resident

I owned the Oppo 83SE and now have the 105D, and as far as I know, you have to press play first if you want to select another track other than Track 1. I wish you could just press the track number you wanted and playback would begin. On my old Denon player this was possible.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Unfortunately this does appear to be one feature which Oppo has never valued.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

Try inputting the track no. you want then press play.

6. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Have you tried hitting shuffle? Or do not want it random?

7. riddlemay

That doesn't do it, unfortunately.

It's really a shame that, as TarnishedEars said, Oppo has never valued making it possible to start on a track if it isn't Track 1. My 83SE is sort of my "secondary" CD/SACD player--I got it to play video, but wanted to back up my Sony 5400ES with a player that could also do excellent stereo CD/SACD audio. And it does! In fact, there are times I find it superior to the Sony, such that the Oppo could become my primary audio disc player. But it never will, because it lacks this basic capability. (I'm not aware of another disc player out there that duplicates this shortcoming, other than the Oppo-based Cambridge player perhaps.)

More to the point from Oppo's point of view, the lack of this capability is a serious disincentive to my ever upgrading from the 83SE to the 105 or whatever Oppo player comes next. I think I really could be happy with just an Oppo. But I can't be, because they make it a pain in the ass to use.

8. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

My 105D allows me to select the track number wanted

9. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

From the Home screen / stopped state?

Doug

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I totally understand your desire to have the track selection feature you've indicated. But I think it's too bad that you will forgo buying future Oppo players due to the omission of this feature. To me it would take just a few seconds to push play then the number of the track you wish to listen to. I just tried it. Hit play then the number 3 and track 3 was playing within a few seconds.
    That doesn't work from the Home screen. You have to hit play first then the track number on the remote for it to work.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

If I were to guess why this feature doesn't exist, it's because Oppo views their players primarily as VIDEO players with universal audio capabilities built in. From that standpoint this feature is less important.

The real question is whether Oppo has ever published data on how their players are used...more for video vs audio. I'm sure that informs their thinking.

12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Try pressing Play, then Pause, then track 5, then Play... (I'm not at home or I'd try it myself).

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No need to hit pause or play a second time. Push play then the track number and it goes to that track number. Viola :).

tmtomh and gregorya like this.
  14. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Well, that's even better... :)

tmtomh and Bill Mac like this.
  15. riddlemay

I realize I can do this, and I concede it's not that big a deal, but there are times--more than a few--when Track 1 contains more "disruptive" music than I or others living in the house wish to hear, whereas Track 5 is exactly right for the mood. So that even hearing 2 seconds of Track 1 before being able to start Track 5 is undesirable. So then you get into other workarounds: making sure to reduce the volume to zero before hitting play and only raising it when Track 5 has started, etc. Which just seem so unnecessary when direct track access has been almost universally available since 1983!

tmtomh likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

General Oppo, he was tried for war crimes, wasn't he?

chacha and gammarayson like this.
  17. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

uh oh...Friday frivolity:cheers:

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This functionality is available.

One time config: Setup->Playback Setup->Auto Play Mode->Off

Use:
    1. Turn on player, insert CD.
    2. Close the tray either with front panel button or via remote "Open" button.
    3. Press Track # via remote, then Play. Playback begins at track # selected.

BGLeduc and Bill Mac like this.
  19. riddlemay

:)

It just occurred to me that lack of direct track access from stop is actually more retrograde than vinyl! With a record, you absolutely have the ability to put the stylus down on any track you wish, without having to hear a couple of seconds of the first track on the side before doing so. For all the debate about the audio qualities of CD vs. vinyl, there's been pretty much universal agreement as to the superiority of CD's convenience. But no!

Edited to add: I wrote this before seeing SamS's post. I will try that. Useful information!

gammarayson likes this.
  20. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

21. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

yeah whoever said just press the track number - that's what I do on the 203 - it's pretty easy - it autoplays a second of track one if you aren't quick, but look at your display and as soon as you see the 1 for the track number and all the zeros for the time code just press the track number you really want and it immediately starts to play it.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Setup->Playback Setup->Auto Play Mode->Off

...and you won't have that autoplay issue.

23. gammarayson

gammarayson Forum Resident

Sam, this doesn't happen on my 105d, which is set up exactly as above. If I press, say track 3 via the remote, then play, playback just starts at track 1, not track 3...

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The 83/93 behave differently than the 103/203 series.

Assuming Auto Play and Auto Resume are Off: On the 10x/20x players - with tray Open, press '006' then PLAY on the remote to have the disc start playing at track #6.

tmtomh and gammarayson like this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have the 103 and 105D and like the Auto Resume feature. The Auto Play function is off but I like to be able to start and stop discs then have playback resume where the disc was stopped. It surprises me how much memory the Oppo players have as some discs that were stopped a month or so back resume where playback was stopped.

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.