Genesis 1976-1982 vinyl box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefan, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone pick this up yet? I assume it's the 2007 remixes pressed to vinyl just as the 70-75 box was vinyl version of the 2008 box of the same name a few years back. I'm curious if it's any better sounding than the CDs/SACDs or just as awful.

2. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

3. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I ordered this and Seconds Out this morning. A friend got both last month and raved about them. Being the sole forum member who loved the 70-75 vinyl box, I'm sure I'll love this too. The record covers are really well done.

4. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident

I like it - great sound quality and presentation, I had to send Abacab back to Music Direct for a replacement, as my original copy had a large scratch. I still maintain, that all of these "audiophile pressings" should come with poly-lined inner sleeves. I think the lack of one was the cause of the defect I found.

5. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Really, really digging this set.

I've been using an old B&O fully automatic table lately and things have sounded conjested and mooshed together. It was fun for awhile. But I hooked the Rega back up with the Shure V15vxMR and I can't believe how much better everything sounds. I love my Shure. These records really opened up with the Shure. And Then There Were Three finally has some balls. I know its not a popular opinion, but this half speed, remixed vinyl is a blast.

6. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

I would like to hear a comparison of a needle drop of this set against the cd's. I wonder if they are more dynamic.

7. Lethrus

Lethrus Forum Resident

I finally took the plunge and ordered the '76-'82 set based on the positive reviews I'm reading here and elsewhere. This set includes many of my favorite Genesis albums, so how could I refuse? Besides, my '70-'75 box (that I found sealed for $45!) needs a companion on the shelf. :D

8. abt4u

abt4u Forum Resident

There's at least two of us here that loved the 70-75 vinyl box set. I'll have to pick up the 76-82 box set, too. I'm still hoping (in vain) that "Duke" gets the 2-LP 45RPM treatment one day (original mix or remix, I don't care which), but this box set will do for now.

9. DWisker

DWisker Member

I love both sets. The sound on "Duke" is wonderful.

jonnyeric likes this.
  10. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I pulled out the 70-75 vinyl box the other day, and found it to be rather interesting. I actually like the sense of what they were going for, as far as creating clearer mixes with audible drums and better balances. I just wish that the audio quality itself wasn't so forward and bright. There's got to be a happy medium between the originals, which are generally dark and murky, and the aesthetic used on the remixes.

I'm guessing the later box set has some of those same virtues and drawbacks. Greater clarity and punch, but sacrificing vibrancy and fullness? Might be good for Wind and Wuthering through Duke, which are wonderful albums, but are sonically compromised anyway, in my opinion. I can't see anything improving on the UK vinyl of Trick of the Tail, a fantastic hifi demo disc that continues to keep me in awe.

11. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I really like both box sets for what they are. The 76-82 mixes do suffer from a lack of dynamics. The quiet parts sound great but when they really kick in, the volume stays the same. Some are better than others. I'd still buy a 3rd box if they did one.

12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member Thread Starter

That lack of volume change is what turned me off on the whole Genesis remix project. I remember the first time I heard the remix of songs such as Ripples or Mad Man Moon where instead of the volume increasing, it just got congested and distorted on the loud parts. The sound reminded me of the time I blew an output transistor on an old Kenwood power amplifier I had as a teenager. I honestly can't understand why people praising those remixes don't seem to hear that. I could live with compression if it's at least clear, but with all that grungy distortion, it ruins it for me.

13. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Duke is horrific.
    Unlistenable frankly...
    Especially Behind the Lines which has a lot of drumming. The cymbals are just one big mass of distortion.

14. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Understatement of the year there. I have (or should say had) the '76-'82 SACD set and the first disk I played was "Trick of the Tail". Wow - I never heard music 'pump' like that, just listen to how the entire song drops out when the drums come in during the intro of "Dance on a Volcano" and how the snare drum in "Squonk" got dynamically chopped off at the knees. It reminded me of playing a cassette recorded with Dolby C on a deck without it enabled - laughably bad. My Japanese Charisma vinyl trounced the SACD - it wasn't even close. Those 2007 mixes for the most part IMO are a mis-guided abomination and have nothing at all to do with high-fidelity reproduction.

Te be fair, I thought "Selling England..." sounded pretty good on the first set but do not like the fact that a different vocal take was used for part of the beginning of "Dance with the Moonlit Knight" - why in God's name did they do that?

15. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

Okay - the replies for the Genesis vinyl set 76-82 run the spectrum on this thread. I don't like the sound on the CD box very much and would like to know if the vinyl sounds better. Any other perspectives since the previous posts above? Good or bad?

FWiW, I have the titles from 1970-75 from Classic and quite enjoy the sound on these.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.