Genesis 2007 masters... can't listen to originals...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The remixes on vinyl are the same masters as the digital releases, just adapted and pressed to vinyl.
    They are a little more tolerable depending on the sound of your vinyl rig, but they are just as terrible as remixes go.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

So you're saying I should track down 70's pressings I guess lol. Thanks

Plan9 likes this.
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'm saying the remixed LPs won't sound different. :)
    And any good sounding pressing, or some of the original CDs may do it for the original mixes. Don't hesitate to do a search, there's quite a few very informative in-depth threads concerning the best-sounding Genesis in here. :)

4. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've had the remixes on vinyl for a while now, and like them, but you know how it is, if there's better out there I'm all over it. Thanks

Plan9 likes this.
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If you have only ever heard the remixes, you might find the originals bizarre... or better, who knows?
    Personally, I find the original mixes, for all their supposed technical flaws, much more in line with the atmosphere the band was trying to convey. And much more subtle and interesting.

Jvalvano and SirMarc like this.
  6. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

You like what you like. Nothing wrong with that.
    I think they're utter trash though. :)

7. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I said it before, and I'll say it again. I could fart into a microphone. It won't sound any better just because it's on a specific format. :p

Brother_Rael likes this.
  8. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

No but you'll get more "warmth" on vinyl. :D

The7thStranger likes this.
  9. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've got the shm Japanese CDs of NC, SEBTP and Lamb, but only listen to them as flacs on my phone. NC and SEBTP both sound good, but Lamb sounds pretty bad. Foxtrot is the remixed CD. I'd be very curious to hear the original mix of Supper's Ready. When I find 70's pressings on vinyl I'll report back if anyone is interested

10. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

And some nice brass. :)

Dukes Travels likes this.
  11. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

For a long time I tried to listen these new remix albums regularly. I managed to buy them on SACD ( from Tresspas to Abacab )... but I finally surrendered to the evidence: are other unfortunate victims of the new remaster philosophy

The reasons ? The same of the vast majority who commented here. My main problem has never been the new mix master but the audio quality is not exactly good. A sadly lack of a dynamic range, the audio is tremendously compressed and frankly I ended up feeling listening fatigue.

It is possible that Peter Gabriel albums are more tolerable (perhaps the least bad) but just the listening experience is unpleasant. All series of 1976-1980 is the worst of the new remix albums, Duke is a sound aberration and both Trick Of A Tail and Wind & Wuthering are victims of extreme audio compression. All instruments are straight ahead to the same level and you end up stunned.

I must admit that at first I was fascinated by the fact of hear some details that not had the opportunity to appreciate but the feeling of fatigue before listening these discs, end up destroying that little pleasure.

I still keep these SACD but I prefer the old versions of these albums on CD (some DE and other pre-remaster era)

12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm just offended that they replaced the original mixes wholesale. The Stephen Wilson method is right on the money. The fans get everything. In this case, Genesis fans got subpar, horribly mastered remixes. Nothing else.

13. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I agree with the OP. I replaced all my original 70s vinyl reissues with the davies new mix lps.

For instance, last week i wanted to listen to trespass. I have a blue label charisma uk press. It didn't really do it for me. So I bought the remix vinyl. I put it on today and I like it much more.

All my gabriel era vinyl collection is remix versions. well, except genesis live 73.

JamesLord likes this.
  14. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Like Plan9 mentioned earlier, it all depends on what you like and what you're used to. If you like the new remixes being bright and compressed, you may not like the originals' laid-back and mellow sound. The good thing is, on vinyl, the local original pressings are easily found, and at less than $10 an album in mint condition - at least in my city it's like that.

15. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I think the OP changed his mind...
    In the end, it's what you like that matters, regardless what anyone else says.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  16. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I gotta tell you, I generally agree with forum consensus on most pressings that I have or bought. I find at least SEBTP to be a very good sounding album. NC sounds ok, and Foxtrot sounds pretty good. I'm gonna track down 70's pressings on the word of you guys here. From what you're saying, I'll probably like them more. Thanks

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  17. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this change. It seems the original vocal take is still present in the background on the remix, isn't it?

18. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

If the Genesis remixes were done by Steve Wilson we wouldn't be having this conversation! Just sayin'.

bluerondo, US Blues, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  19. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

We probably would. :D

20. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Well, I know I am in a minority here , but I prefer the remixes for the 70s albums (with the exception of trick where the original is great).

I stick with the originals from Duke onward. Hugh Padgham's Abacab is sooo punchy.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  21. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

It seems slightly unfair to compare these to Steve Wilson's work. He stays close to the original sound as a point of principle. Genesis changed the sound of these records 'on purpose'. I get that this offends some (particularly given the baffling and unnecessary decision to delete the original mixes) - but we are not comparing like with like.

22. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I can't imagine any pressing of A Trick of the Tail beating out the MFSL vinyl. Certainly nothing new.

Jvalvano likes this.
  23. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

It's nice to hear some of the vocals upfront, shame about the limiting.

Having said that, I do find that when some members here say that this and that mastering "sucks", they really mean that it's just not as stellar as the one they prefer. I still own some forum hated masterings that are really enjoyable. And I'm not listening on Bluetooth speakers in an untreated room either, I have the 2nd mortgage payment to prove it. :wave::p

24. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

I'm seriously thinking about putting Wind back to the remaster - the original master is really soft, it doesn't sound quite right.

25. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Count me in there too. Preferring the remixes of the exact same albums as you.

JamesLord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.