Genesis: A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering is a great double

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Read the Genesis book Chapter and Verse. There was definitely a bunch of resentment about Peter. They specifically resented how he insisted on writing all the lyrics to Lamb and how long he took doing it. Banks also mentioned all the attention Gabriel was getting and there was a lot of grumbling about a side project Peter had at the time.

2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

I have read it. Maybe that's true, but my recollection was that the rest of the band was more concerned with his time away, while he already had started a family. Those guys aren't exactly major ranters. So, by most standards, those were probably minor complaints. As for the comment about the costumes, that was obviously much earlier than Lamb, when they were developing a reputation.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Time obviously passed a lot more slowly then then. For all the "slowness" of Peter's writing, they still had that album out 13 months after their previous one.

4. Jeff SSM

Jeff SSM Forum Resident

I too am quite fond of both these albums. If I had to pick one, I would give the nod to Trick. From Trick's cover art to the closing of Los Endos - I think its a strong cohesive album / really like every track. With WandW - there are some very good songs such as Elevent Earl of Mar, One For the Vine and Blood on the Rooftops but also some less them stelar material. I also think the album doesn't flow as well as Trick does, probably due to Special Way and WG.

With the tracks from Trick of the Tail, I tend to prefer the studo versions better than the live versions (i.e. Volcano / Squonk) where with the WandW tracks I like the live versions better (i.e. Afterglow / One For the Vine)

5. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Even the vinyl of W&W has never been great. I have a 1st UK that has almost no bass and the US copy sounds just as bad. However, my first Japanese pressing is where it's at and the only pressing of W&W that I've enjoyed listening to.

Both albums are great. The run from Trespass to W&W is what makes Genesis one of my top-5 favorite bands. Then they took an album off with ATTWT and had their swan song (for me) with Duke.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

That was kind of a double edged sword. They weren't exactly the most charismatic performers right out of the gate. They might not have gotten any media coverage at all at that point if it weren't for PG camping it up on stage.

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I wonder what ATTWT would have sounded like had Hackett stayed with the band. Hackett really did not contribute all that heavily to Wind and Wuthering other than Blood on the Rooftops and en interlude in Eleventh Earl of Mar.

I think the change to a poppier sound was more due to the changing inclinations of the other three than due to Steve's departure.

Of course they would have chosen a different title.

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. Ere

Ere Senior Member

On the credits, yes. In practice, no.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Right, they probably would have stayed with the original title: "Getting Mighty Crowded in Here".

10. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I have to include the Inside & Out single with my Wind& Wuthering playlist. It's Hackett's last new song with the band before he left, is it not? It's superb, it rocks, and it fills that side two gap some have mentioned.!

11. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Why are people referring to this as a Steve song? It's credited to all 4 of them in a time when they gave individual credits.

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I like "Invisible Touch" more than "Wind & Wuthering."

Wait, wait, don't kill me so much yet please.
    I am not claiming IT to be some freaking masterpiece. But it at least knows what it is. W&W feels more confused and aimless.

Every band that's been around for a while has its albums that really only hardcore faithful feel passionate about. It's like, sure everyone likes Dark Side of the Moon, but you gotta be some kinda Floyd Fanatic to be listening to Atom Heart Mother more than once.
    Perhaps W&W is that album for Genesis fans.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'm only sort of luke warm on Floyd overall, but I really dig More, Atom Heart Mother, Obscured By Clouds, Meddle, and some of the bonus material on the expanded Zabriskie Point soundtrack. My favorite period was when they were not being dominated by either Syd or Roger.

14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

:wtf:

I honestly don't get why you consider W&W to be confused and aimless. Maybe you don't care for the songs, but it all sounds reasonably cohesive to me.

If there were a redheaded stepchild in their discography, it would have to be And Then There Were Three.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  15. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

"Perhaps W&W is that album for Genesis fans" I don't think thats the case at all side 2 has some of the best Collins vocals ,I could never understand why Mike complains about it

16. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

A Trick of the Tail is not only the best Genesis album, it's also the greatest prog record of all time.

PhilBiker likes this.
  17. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Yeah "Three" is quite a mess. My least favorite Genesis album, the only one I really would not want to ever listen to again.
    It's the whole era, like I said in I think my first post of the thread, between Gabriel's departure and when they fully embraced their move to a different sound.

I would mark the latter with the song Mama- it is confident, chilling, bold, and not at all like the old stuff. Mama, like Lamb, sounds more complete and definable to me than anything in between. Which- again- has a lot of cool musical ideas in it and some good and a few great songs, but they feel to me like they are trying to make Genesis-type music. It's like they were a neo-prog band that listened to a lot of Gabriel-era Genesis trying to update their sound.

18. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I don't know what people you are referring to, since I'm the only one who mentioned it. And all I meant was -- it was Steve's last studio work with the band.

19. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Not quite sure what you mean by this. "Inside & Out" may have been Steve's last official connection with the band, but it was simply a part of the W&W sessions and nothing more. He wasn't even one of the main writers of that track, so it seems a bit irrelevant.

Also, he has quite a presence on side two of the album...his guitar work on "All In A Mouse's Night", main writer for BOTR, co-writer and soloist on "...In That Quiet Earth", seems to suggest this.

20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have always had and loved ATOTT, but I have never had or heard WAW. I might have to pick it up.

21. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Unlike the Gabriel albums, there is not a weak moment on "Trick", IMHO.

22. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

That's quite a surprise. You are in for a treat.

23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I thought I read that "Inside and Out" was a Hackett song that the others helped polish up.

24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It's a great post-Gabriel record...but :laughup:

25. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

I think that is correct. SH has said many times that he was upset that it got dropped from the album in favor of 'instrumental noodles' like Wot Gorilla.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.