Genesis: A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering is a great double

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Good thing is that we have both to choose from. Cannot think of too many contempraries who released such a comprehensive live catalog (even if, for the most obsessive amongst us, there are still a few notable omissions).

Rfreeman likes this.
  2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I made no reference at all to whoever wrote it. Why is this being continually misunderstood?

I was merely trying to say that it's a great addition to the album, especially for those who feel that side two is a bit lacking. It had his participation, how hard is that to understand??????

On top of that, it's one of my favorite Genesis songs, and I don't give a flip who wrote it!!!!!!

Nevertheless, I apologize to anyone I confused with my bad thumbtyping.

3. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

With all due respect to the Gabriel and 3-man eras (which I love dearly), these two albums are the best.

It's still amazing to see how divided fans are on every move this band made. Something for everyone, I'd say.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  4. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Well, that's not true.

The main body of the song was essentially written by Mike Rutherford, and the end piece is a band composition. For some reason people have been giving the main credit to Steve, largely it seems for his 15 second spotlight during the instrumental bit.

The song referred to that was dropped was Steve's "Please Don"t Touch", which ended up on his solo album.

5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Thanks for clearing that up. I also erroneously referred to this as a Hackett track earlier. I'm not sure where I got that idea because now that you mention it, I can hear Mike's writing style all over the first part. I would have vastly preferred "Inside & Out" in place of the schmaltzy "Your Own Special Way".

Runt likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I would have preferred less music in place of Wot Gorilla. You Own Special Way at least ends nicely.

7. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I'm wondering if Armando Gallo's book, 'I Know What I Like', which I bought in 1982 (!) is the source of the credit to Steve on 'Inside And Out', where Gallo called it a song that sounds like Steve's 'good-bye to the band', or something similar. I think it's also in the book where he (Hackett) speaks somewhat negatively of side one calling it 'predictable swirling dynamics', while disparaging 'Wot Gorilla' specifically. 'I Know What I Like' was kind of a bible for Genesis fans and for years after, whenever I met one, they would basically parrot what Hackett said about W & W in the book, lamenting 'Inside And Out' as a great long lost Hackett track.

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It was interesting though to read in that book how "Unquiet Sleepers.....In That Quiet Earth" was supposed to be presented as one 10-minute track before they broke it into two in order to give Steve a better writing credit. I wish it had been presented as one track originally. Bummer.

9. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I have a copy of I Know What I Like, as well as a few other related volumes of Genesis history. Nowhere does Steve claim to have been the main writer of "Inside & Out". He only mentions a preference for that song and "Pigeons" over other tracks included on W&W. Again, I will suggest that many fans have established a perception that Steve was responsible for "Inside & Out", but there is no evidence to support that.

10. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

It was presented as one track, but simply credited separately.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Well, Cd's and Lp's have banded it as two tracks, and my mind's eye has always interpreted it as two tracks joined together. But in the interest of prog and loving longer songs I wish I could have viewed it as one longer song all these years.

12. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Did you actually read my post? I didn't even suggest that. Perhaps you should go into journalism...

13. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Musically both excellent, although "WAW" is a colder 'Relight' studio sound and needs original Japan vinyl or cd pressings IMO, then I would always add the "Spot The Pigeon" ep to the latter, fits in nicely.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Actually, I just realized that book is wrong in one regard. It's not even 10 minutes combined....it's only 7 minutes.

15. donunus

donunus Cheapskate Audiophile and Massive Music Lover

Invisible touch is the best Genesis album :cool: Wheres the Flamesuit, I'm going to need it hehehee

16. Runt

Runt Senior Member

The Atco Japan for U.S. disc of Wind & Wuthering sounds great to my ears.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Seems like chum for the sharks to me.

I will say this: I was playing the title track on acoustic guitar, and the verses are classic Tony Banks stuff--they'd fit very nicely on any post Gabriel album. The problem is the sing-songy chorus and the production.

18. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Where's the 'ignore' button? ;-)

19. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Did you read your own post. You certainly suggested the connection.

20. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

An LP can only "band" it physically, and in its original presentation, no such "band" exists. Its separation only exists in print as a detail in credits. You seem to have made the assumption that they were meant to be offered as separate pieces of music. This is not the case because it was made quite clear by the band that the only reason for the separate credit was to appease Steve. Otherwise the track was offered as one complete piece.

21. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

My feelings exactly:righton:

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I get it, I get it. But your cd does split into two separate tracks!

23. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I think the intent of his post is confusing, but I can see him making the point that his post was explaining why people regarded the song as a Hackett song, not that it was a Hackett song.

24. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

At the risk of being pedantic...

The CD does not split the tracks. They are simply indexed individually because of the two title designation. But it plays as one piece, just like on the original LP. Although, I think there may have been an early CD issue which actually created a momentary delay at a some point where "Slumbers" is supposed to end and "Quiet Earth" begins, which was obviously an error in the indexing and subsequently corrected on later reissues.

25. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I agree. My impression was that the book was presented to support the connection between Steve and the song. But all I wanted to say was that no such support actually exists, regardless of what anyone else may have said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.