Genesis - early CD versions thread (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Elk, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I have a Nimbus (barcoded) and the track order is correct. Horizons is spelled Horizon's though, both on back sleeve and on the disc label.

2. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

No bar code (no UPC).

The track order mistake in the booklet was fixed for the "Compact Price" original I have, pressed at EMI Swindon (Mastering 1). Interestingly, the booklet for that issue says "Made In Japan."

Pictures coming up.

3. Gardo

havefun6699 likes this.
  4. Gardo

5. Gardo

Discogs has this release, with this matrix, though it says the booklet has four pages and no lyrics. My booklet has eight pages and all lyrics (with "Horizons" and "Supper's Ready" transposed).

6. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Thanks Gardo - I stand corrected on the booklet error being sorted. To be honest I now only have the picture disc version of this release but I exchanged the booklet from my 1985 copy as the Pic disc booklet had that compact price banner on it - my original booklet also says Made in Japan in it.

I think the absence of a bar code suggests to me that your copy is from 1986.

7. Gardo

Seems likely--thanks. As it turns out, my disc won't play correctly. There's static in the right channel that seems level-dependent. I'm guessing some kind of damage that goes past error-correction into interpolation, though apart from the slight bronze tone on the label side I haven't been able to see any obvious damage. I did find that I couldn't rip the disc using Foobar. I was able to rip using EAC, but the log revealed a lot of timing errors. I haven't listened to the rip yet to see if the static persists. All very strange.

8. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I just checked my copy
    It has the 8 page booklet with lyrics
    And "made in Japan" in it.
    But then on the back inside page in small print it says "made in Japan " and beside it says "manufactured in the U.K"

...What the duece?

The inner ring states "mastered by Nimbus" CASCD 1058
    But there is no matrix number.
    The front cover of the booklet has the "compact price" on it and the grey border.

Is this a boot?

9. The_Windmill

nope

I guess the graphics weren't updated properly and kept the original manufacturing info. Compact price, cheap execution. Makes sense to me :)

Mine is like yours.

Nimbus didn't use complex matrix codes, only cat. number and small dots

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  10. Gardo

Strange. My EMI Swindon "Compact Price" Foxtrot has the full booklet, but "Made in Japan" is on the inside front page (at the bottom of the page with band credits and copyright warning) and also on the inside back page (under multilingual explanation of SPARS codes).

11. Gardo

Update: the level-dependent static is on the ripped .wav file as well. Clearly something wrong with the disc. I'll be returning it today.

12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Sorry to do this but maybe someone can help me out. A lot of pages to go through plus I looked online and could not find the answer.
    I recently acquired a few early Genesis CDs. Nursery Cryme, Trespass, And The Word Was... So since I am not going to be keeping these (not my favorites from them) I need the correct info on Nursery but can't seem to find it. My haul is below:
    And The Word Was Was... London West Germany by PDO 820 496-2 01 silver to center. Seems like the basic pressing?
    Trespass Virgin Charisma CASCD 1020 Nimbus and has "This Compact Disc Not Digitally Recorded" in the multi-page booklet and on back inlay. Has UPC. Booklet says Made in UK, CD says nothing.
    Nursery Cryme Virgin Charisma CASCD 1052 / B-2305 A has "This Compact Disc Not Digitally Recorded" in the multi-page booklet and on back inlay with NO UPC. No Place of manufacture anywhere, not on CD or booklet. Is this a UK Version?

Are any of the versions above something different sound wise than what is commonly found? Thanks.

Pat

13. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

So far as Nursery Cryme without a UPC on it this sounds like the copies on sale in either 1985 or 1986. I don't think I ever had the 1985 release of this (I had Foxtrot and still have Live).
    It's odd that the discs nor booklet carry a country of manufacture though. The 1985 ones would be either Japanese or West German for UK retail but these always state this in my experience. UK made copies were pressed in 1986. I'll check my collection but I'm sure I don't have the early pressings of NC.

14. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

A bit off-topic:

For those of you in the Cincinnati area, Everybody's Records has the pre-DE picture disc set containing Trespass, Nursery Cryme, and Foxtrot for $25. Trespass's tray has broken teeth, but other than that, everything's in nice shape. I checked yesterday and the set is still there. If you live around here, pick it up!

rburly and Plan9 like this.
  15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

My Foxtrot (no barcode) also list "Horizons" on both the disc and back of the case. Weird. I never noticed that before. And I've owned the bloody thing for about 30 years. :laugh:

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Was just listening to V/C Austria DADC picture disc of The Lamb, along with Japan 1991 third Press VJCP and early USA Atlantic fatboy. All share the same mastering it appears but the Japan set tries to fade out the hum between tracks when possible. and it also has a correct track index for "Broadway Melody" whereas the other two have it botched big time.

17. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Earlier today, I found an old Lamb CD on the shelves of a second-hand records store. It's a 'mastered by Nimbus' version, two dots on both discs, made in the UK. I couldn't find it on Discogs (I could only find 6 dots and 3 dots mastered by Nimbus).

Do these DR values look familiar to you?

Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Genesis / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (1985 CGSCD-1)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR12      -0.16 dB   -14.33 dB      4:48 01-The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    DR11      -1.35 dB   -16.39 dB      4:22 02-Fly on a Windshield
    DR10     -18.39 dB   -32.19 dB      0:32 03-Broadway Melody of 1974
    DR11      -4.05 dB   -18.81 dB      2:11 04-Cuckoo Cocoon
    DR11       0.00 dB   -14.42 dB      8:14 05-In the Cage
    DR12       0.00 dB   -16.02 dB      2:46 06-The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
    DR12       0.00 dB   -14.21 dB      5:44 07-Back in N.Y.C.
    DR9       -4.08 dB   -17.86 dB      2:09 08-Hairless Heart
    DR12       0.00 dB   -14.71 dB      3:42 09-Counting out Time
    DR11       0.00 dB   -14.56 dB      5:14 10-Carpet Crawlers
    DR13       0.00 dB   -17.09 dB      5:39 11-The Chamber of 32 Doors
    DR11      -1.82 dB   -16.20 dB      2:45 01-Lilywhite Lilith
    DR11      -2.53 dB   -18.68 dB      5:21 02-The Waiting Room
    DR12      -3.73 dB   -19.34 dB      3:08 03-Anyway
    DR12      -3.19 dB   -18.84 dB      2:59 04-Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist
    DR12      -3.30 dB   -20.07 dB      6:56 05-The Lamia
    DR12      -6.38 dB   -25.22 dB      3:06 06-Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats
    DR12      -1.99 dB   -18.51 dB      8:13 07-The Colony of Slippermen (The Arrival - A Visit to the Doktor - Raven)
    DR11     -15.77 dB   -32.56 dB      2:04 08-Ravine
    DR12      -2.15 dB   -17.29 dB      3:32 09-The Light Dies Down on Broadway
    DR11      -1.51 dB   -16.10 dB      3:57 10-Riding the Scree
    DR12      -1.62 dB   -19.34 dB      2:30 11-In the Rapids
    DR11      -1.15 dB   -14.69 dB      4:13 12-It

Number of tracks:  23
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   16
    Bitrate:           1411 kbps
    Codec:             PCM

18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

Your peak values match the first version listed on Page 1 of this thread.

albertop likes this.
  19. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

You're right, thanks. I should have checked the peak values.
    So, I suppose this V/C Nimbus 2 dots dates back to 1985? The booklet says made in the UK,; on the case instead there's an old price tag from South Africa, cool!

yesstiles likes this.
  20. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Early Nimbus pressings had "NIMBUS ENGLAND" in the matrix code. That changed to "MASTERED BY NIMBUS" (around 1986-1987).

albertop and The_Windmill like this.
  21. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Yesterday, I bought an Atlantic "Foxtrot" CD, made in the 80s. It sounds great !!!

Front 242 Addict and jp312 like this.
  22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

That should be Zal's version.

Agreed, it makes for a nice alternative listen to the V/C Nimbus.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  23. sathvyre

It was a lucky fortune...I ordered used UK CDs in a shop and got "Foxtrot" as US pressing - for 6 Euro in perfect condition :)
    How sounds "Selling England", made in USA, compared to the UK Nimbus ?

24. sathvyre

I also like the layouts of the US CD versions much more. The UK ones look so bad with the cropped covers and the cheap layout...

25. The_Windmill

yeah, I wonder how that cover-cropping could have been considered a good idea in the first place...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.