Genesis Gabriel era SHM and Platinum SHM coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks to my friend David @ world of genesis :wave:

The previous (now out of print) 2013 SHM used the 2008 remixes/remasters :thumbsdow
    Will they be getting right this time? Will they use the original mixes. Really hope so!

http://www.worldofgenesis.com/NEWS-September2014.htm

Genesis' R-Kive & Early Back Catalog Being Reissued In Japan on Mini LP Sleeve SHM and Platinum SHM-CDs

The Japanese issue of Genesis' new R-Kive 3-CD collection will be released on November 26, 2014. It will initially be released as a limited paper sleeve (mini LP sleeve) SHM-CD and Platinum SHM-CD. The Japanese release of R-Kive (which has an identical track listing to the North American and European issues scheduled for release this month) will also usher in the reissue of the "Peter Gabriel era" Genesis catalog in Japan with the following limited paper sleeve SHM and Platinum SHM-CDs slated for release on the same day:SHM-CD:

R-Kive (catalog # UICY-76712/4), Trespass (catalog # UICY-76715), Nursery Cryme (catalog # UICY-76716), Foxtrot (catalog # UICY-76717), Selling England By The Pound (catalog # UICY-76718), and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (catalog #UICY-76719/20),

Platinum SHM-CD:
    R-Kive (catalog # UICY-40091/3), Trespass (catalog #UICY-40094), Nursery Cryme (catalog # UICY-40095), Foxtrot (catalog # UICY-40096), Selling England By The Pound (catalog # UICY-40097), and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (catalog # UICY-40098/9).

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  2. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

Flat transfer original mixes would be a dream :)

3. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

Agreed.... and maybe there's a small glimmer of hope that they will also make it to SHM-SACD...

blind_melon1 likes this.
  4. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Whats the difference between SHM and Platinum SHM CD's?

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Why is there ANY reason to expect these will not use the later remixes? The band still considers those to be definitive. Any Japanese release would have to use whatever the band sanctions.

DiabloG, danielbravo and Shak Cohen like this.
  6. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

These would have to be good to better the UK VCs imo.

Mr Mojo Risin and sound chaser like this.
  7. Tesbert

Tesbert Forum Resident

Just moneymaking guys. Chase the original vinyl and for Duke, Trick and perhaps Live 73 the first gen on CD and you're done.

8. If these will be the remixes I'll pass. If they'll use the original mixes it will not be hard to beat what's out there digitally, but it won't surprise me if they'll ruin everything yet another time. I won't get excited until the sound quality gets good reviews here. Even then, I'll probably end up returning to my LPs anyway.

Ere, sound chaser and CybrKhatru like this.
  9. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I was just thinking yesterday how much I'd love some Genesis in SHM. But they better redo them before I bite. I bought the existing SHM-CD of Lamb and it is dreadful. I'm not going to get burned again.

sound chaser likes this.
  10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Platinum, presumably. Perhaps packaging as well.

11. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

...or sensibly used EQ, like the original Virgin/Charisma CDs?

We don't know if the master tapes sound great just transferred flat. My guess is they don't, which is perhaps what prompted the remixes. As our host has pointed out repeatedly, master tapes often sound awful.

dartira likes this.
  12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

This explains why the early Genesis CDs with the 2008 remix/remaster are OOP - and fairly difficult to find. Not that any of us are actually looking for them.

aarsonbet likes this.
  13. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Well, it was interesting to listen to the remixes and I like to play them in my car stereo, but I clearly prefer the original mixes. Let's hope they will release new transfers from the original master tapes instead of re-releasing the remixes again.

sound chaser and Shak Cohen like this.
  14. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Good´news
    I preordered all, waiting for new mastering information credits. Then i ll cancel or not my preorder. If they re original mixes, i can say that those editions will be future collectors
    Let s wait and see

Plan9 and wbhendrix like this.
  15. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

They say "reissue", but nothing about remastering. So I'd be surprised if these aren't the crummy remixes.

danielbravo likes this.
  16. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Hoping for the best (original mixes) but expecting the worst (remixed).

17. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

At least it will be the regular denoised remasters...nobody needs them...

18. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Maybe like the new UK (the Band) Issue, in which they didn't mention that it will be flat transfer, and yet they were...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  19. Vantage 420

Vantage 420 New Member

Amazon UK is stating the genesis tracks being released tomorrow in uk on R-Kive are the 2007/2008 remasters .
    So it looks likely the Shm releases will use these !

20. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

We should raise an online petition asking Steven Wilson to play his magicien skills on these classic albums, the same he does with the YES albums !

reapers and Jimbino like this.
  21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Now that's a very good idea. :)

freemanl and blind_melon1 like this.
  22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I don't understand anybody prefering the original mix of Trespass or Nursery Cryme. They are just bad. Hell i will even throw TLLDOB in there too.

SEBTP on the other hand was very good originally. Foxtrot i a tie. IMO!

23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Unless this is a new mastering, then I'll be sticking with my "Diament" (even Barry's not sure) versions. Best I've heard. And the Austrian editions for the first five studio albums.

24. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

I'm not holding my breath.
    The Classic Records vinyl of The Lamb... is proof of how good the original mix can sound if mastered properly.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

What are the acronyms?

boboquisp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.