Genesis Invisible Touch, what is the weakest track here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

So, an album some hate, some don't mind, a handful really like. I think it's good, though the start of the compositional and instrumental drop of the band. I think in particular Land of Confusion sticks out as sounding the most dated and annoying track quite honestly. The lyric is okay, but Phil's vocal, Mike guitar and Tony's synth really suck. The album has a tendency to have bad keyboards all around, but, sometimes it's alright and dare I say great. Mike's guitar tone never really goes anywhere though, it's okay or bad. Phil does well with the softer stuff but seems to go nuts on some tracks where he doesn't need to.

Favorite is Tonight, Tonight, Tonight - it's not prog, but it has atmosphere, is original, and the lyric and performance is great. The softer songs are nice if not anything I'd listen to the full album for - and The Brazilian should have been replaced with Do The Neurotic. I get the feeling Tony had something to do with that one...

So, what's your least favorite song on the infamous album from 1986 where Genesis went to play giant stadiums and their set got worse and worse every single tour? (sorry guys).

blaken123 likes this.
  2. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

For me - anything she does - even though we had invisible touch and the slightly insipid tonight - they hung together as part of the album (a fanstastic sounding album I have to add on vinyl)

However anything she does comes across as a slightly miss judged sloppy P.C. single and just doesnt fit the mood of the album for me

shaboo likes this.
  3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The Brazilian.

I'm surprised that "Anything She Does" is not very popular, it's one of my favourites on the album.

Mumbojunk likes this.
  4. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Anything She Does is arguably the most "un-Genesis" track on the album (well, maybe the title track), but I don't know if that makes it the worst. I've no problem with it, but it's kind of out of place. I don't think they ever played it live either. It's not like they never did ballads before, so they get away with In Too Deep and Throwing It All Away. I prefer The Brazilian to Do the Neurotic, so I'm fine that The Brazilian is on the album.
    Tony's comment on the Visible Touch tour documentary: "The Brazilian is like what I do on my solo albums, so if you like that, you should buy them... which nobody does," (or words to that effect).

jacethecrowl likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I like the song but it's one of the ones that sounds more like solo Phil than Genesis...

vudicus and Sammy Waslow like this.
  6. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

It's all pretty bad, and even at age 15 when it came out I could smell it. If I could banish three to a desert island that I myself wasn't on, it would be the title the track, "Throwing It All Away" and "In Too Deep," the latter the most pop pandering and recipient of my vote.

7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Uhhhhhhhhhh

Damn, I don't know, cause this album isn't that good in general, but if I had to pick....
    Maybe The Brazillian

8. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

I voted anything she does. It's not bad but the melody sounds like an inferior rehash of invisible touch to me.

shaboo likes this.
  9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

Maybe if his solo albums were more like A Curious Feeling. He's not wrong but... god damn once Tony hit this album his synth pallet just died.

10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’ve always thought In Too Deep was a bit of a drag..

Probably something Phil had left over from the No Jacket Required sessions.:)

Anything She Does edges filler territory too.

sbeck201 and Steve Simm like this.
  11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Anything She Does. One of the worst tunes they ever did. In Too Deep's not great either.

The album overall was prety bad.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  12. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Seriously surprised the Brazilian is leading at this point, it’s always been my favorite song on the album.

13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I really like this album, but "In Too Deep" is always a track I skip over. The rest of the album I think is a near-perfect intelligent pop record. (Even "The Brazilian," which I've always loved)

14. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I'm more of a fan of the "older' Genesis so I'm not overly familiar with this LP but I do recall that "The Brazilian" was not a pleaser for me on this release.

15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yup, me too. For me it was one of the few highlights on the album.

16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

"Land of Confusion" for me. Perhaps it was caused by radio and MTV burnout...

GroovyGuy likes this.
  17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

First, read the songwriting credits: Banks, Rutherford Collins. The band’s songwriting process from 1983-onward was from jamming.
    Listen to the chord changes during the bridge. That’s pure Banks.

Cassiel and Frozensoda like this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Honestly, I wouldn't say it has a weak track.

Denim Chicken likes this.
  19. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Maybe, but it’s also probable they individually brought in some underbaked ideas that the others contributed to.

20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I like it too; heard that before I heard the rest of the album. It's part of the soundtrack album from 'When the Wind Blows'. So I link it to the rest of that album (it joins tracks by David Bowie, Squeeze, Roger Waters and others) instead of the 'Invisible Touch' album...

Frozensoda likes this.
  21. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

If you’d asked me in 1986, I’d have said The Brazilian but that song really came to life on tour. As much as I love the Benny Hill video, it kind of shows what they thought of the song that they didn’t do it live. It belongs on a B-side more than Feeding the Fire, but fits on the album better.

Frozensoda likes this.
  22. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

"Anything She Does", just edging out the execrable "Invisible Touch".

BTW "The Brazilian" and "In Too Deep" are both cracking tunes.

--Geoff

23. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I think it's a fantastic album overall but if I had to choose a least favorite it would be Anything She Does.

Runicen and DiabloG like this.
  24. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I'm the opposite. I wouldn't say it has a strong track.

It's the first Genesis album for me that doesn't have something of interest to return to.

25. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

In Too Deep is absolutely awful, followed by Anything She Does and then the title track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.