Genesis - Lamb best master, CD or vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MusicNBeer, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident Thread Starter

With a new TT on the way, I now have way more options to getting the best masters.

I have the 80s ATCO fatboy for this release with no mastering information. Discs are standard old Atlantic/ATCO with light blue colored ring. I've never been happy at all with the sound quality on this one. It's lifeless, flat and dead sounding, with no dynamics.

So with that, are there any better versions available, or is this just a lifeless recording?

Thanks!

Leonthepro likes this.
  2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Really? That mastering is on all original 1980's discs from each country. Very dynamic imo.

I believe the best sounding of all though is one of the early German LP's.

3. MusicNBeer

Well maybe I have one of the better versions already...

It doesn't compare to the dynamics on Foxtrot and Selling. The latter I have a West German CD from the 80s that sounds awesome.

I was hoping Lamb had something of similar quality.

Edit: the Selling England I have isn't West German, it's actually US made with GEMA under the compact disc logo.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  4. MusicNBeer

I guess I was getting my hopes up. I've puchased the remasters of Sabbath Master Of Reality and Vol. 4 recently and they're really a huge improvement over older CD versions. I was hoping for the same for Lamb.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

You must have had the WB cd's for those Sabbath titles. The old Castle cd's from 1986 were wonderful.

6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I used to swear by the DE because it fixed the hum that ran through the early CD pressings, but the noise reduction over time sucked all the life out of the reissue for me. The Virgin/Charisma is the CD to get, even with the dreaded hum.

sound chaser and yesstiles like this.
  7. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I still prefer the DE over the V/C even with the noise reduction, the V/C has not only the hum, it also has the volume drop on Carpet Crawlers and the tune in on the first track.
    My best digital sources for this one is however vinyl rips of the original UK and the Classic.

8. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... but there's no perfect CD version of this masterpiece - and please not that this has been covered in several other threads already.

Carlox likes this.
  9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I never knew the v/c had the hum. I've always owned the '87 Atco which of course also has it. Did these share the same mastering?

Either way, as much of a bummer the hum is, its never been a huge deal for me. That said, keep a lookout for the old 70s LP. Sound wise that's probably your best bet. The newer CDs either have noise reduction or are a remix.

10. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

The Japanese SACD is fantastic.

11. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... as far as I know all SACDs are the same compressed masters.

Carlox, Plan9, Boaz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

UK Blue Label Charisma 1980s reissue (vinyl)
    2008 Nick Davis remix (digital) - this will be a real ear opener compared to what you've heard. Ignore the audiofools and enjoy!!

Score17, muzikluvr and Carlox like this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

LOL:cheers:

Carlox, Dodoz and abzach like this.
  14. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... I'm sorry, but that's a pretty arrogant and silly comment on an audiophile forum where the Nick Davis remasters rightfully is seen as horrible and against everything this forum stands for - I mean, come on...

Dertriumphdestodes and Dodoz like this.
  15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Indeed, which also means they indexed "Fly on a Windshield" and "Broadway Melody of 1974" incorrectly.

Dodoz likes this.
  16. Shak Cohen

I don't like all the Davis remixes, but this is one of the set that came out really good. Lots of detail, clarity and energy. The OP has said he doesn't like the original CD. If you want the original mix, I've suggested the Ray Staff mastered UK LP - just do a needle drop of that. I don't like either of the 80s or 90s CD editions of this album, which is my favourite Genesis record.

Carlox, Boaz and Rigsby like this.
  17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Translation: If you don't share my opinion, I will call you a fool.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  18. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Now you're talking the vinyl edition, that's another story - when you wrote "digital" everyone probably assumed you meant CD/SACD, and they're compressed to death. But even so, writing like you did, is pretty arrogant and rather silly. Besides, the 94 remaster has the dynamics and sound good enough.

19. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

I agree, the 2008 version on both SACD and DVD sounds great.

muzikluvr and Shak Cohen like this.
  20. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... best vinyl master is an early german or uk used copy without the hum, the very best is the Classic - but that's insanely expensive.

McLover likes this.
  21. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... come on, that's just nonsense... they're known as ruined by compression - it's like suggesting a piece of meat on a forum for vegetarians...

McMopMan, yesstiles and Dodoz like this.
  22. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... what has this place turned into... seems like some needs to do some reading...

23. MusicNBeer

Thanks for all the discussion points. :yikes: I generally hate remixes so I'm probably going to skip that one, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I never really noticed that hum on my copy, but sure enough it's there. It's low enough in frequency not to be really bothersome though.

I'll be hunting down the UK LP on discogs. I see several versions on there as UK original releases. Are all of these UK versions the same mastering? Thanks!

24. Shak Cohen

...and heavy noise reduction...

25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The first UK pressing was a porky/pecko cut (often considered the best cut, despite the hum) and is different from later pressings.
    The first US pressing also use the porky/pecko cut.

porky/pecko = cut by George Peckham.

As a side note, the early UK pressing comes in thick card inner sleeves which often leave audible hairline marks on the surfaces.
    The USA pressing has thinner paper sleeves which are a bit kinder to the vinyl.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Leonthepro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.