Genesis' "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" on SACD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

Peter Gabriel and Genesis fans should be excited by this next bit of news. It appears that longtime Genesis associate, Nick Davis is finishing up the 5.1 remix of Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. The expected release date is somewhere in mid-summer 2004. The Stereo mix will be new and separate from the digitally remastered version of TLLDoB that exists. Nick has the ability to work from the original 24 track masters. This should be quite a release once its available.

from MusicTAP

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Top news :agree: I wonder if I can get on the Beta-test programme :)

Andrew :cool:

3. Larry

Larry Member

God news indeed.:goodie:

4. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

I have the original import Virgin UK CD way back in the 80s (before Abco released their first version).
    I held off getting the remastered version and now I'm glad I did.

Here is hoping they fit it on one CD, but I doubt it.

5. Ere

Ere Senior Member

See the tail end of our earlier thread on this for more details. The official Genesis music site is posting regular updates about the progress. Appears that the new stereo mix is going to be derived from the new 5.1 mix.... and the engineer, Nick Davis, is having trouble locating the original mix vocals (versus those originally buried) because the session notes are so cryptic. Maybe we'll get an all-Phil version:laugh:

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'd be happy just to get a nice flat stereo transfer of Foxtrot on SACD....

7. davef

davef Senior Member

And I'll add Selling England By The Pound and Nursery Cryme, perhaps even Trespass, to Sckott's request!

8. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I drool in anticipation of a surround sound high-res version of In the Cage...

9. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Don't forget to add "A Trick of the Tail"!

Sean

10. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Guys, Genesis is on Atlantic (in the US) so I bet it's gonna be DVD-A.
    Personally I'd rather have and SACD Hybrid.

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

There are video clips on the Genesis site of Nick Davis working on the tracks. That should be interesting. Looks like it's taken him a few months to do the work--I can imagine how long it would take to re-do the entire catalog that way.

Nick Davis actually mentioned it's for a hybrid SACD in the Genesis Talking Shop forum:

http://www.genesis-music.com/cgi-bi...ard=nick;action=display;num=1063955438;start=

Scroll down a bit and you can find Nick's response. I'm tempted to post a question there myself, to find out what type of equipment he's using for it. Since it's being mixed at The Farm, I don't know if they'd have DSD equipment in the studio. Only a guess, but it may be on a PCM digital multitrack. Or analog. Or maybe not. I'd like to find out for sure. :)

12. -=Rudy=-

Me too. :D The only bright spot is that overseas, they may go with SACD (depending on which label they're on over there), meaning at the worst, we may end up having to buy them as imports. I wonder if Atlantic would go to the trouble of mastering them to DVD-A only for the US? It doesn't make sense, but I could see them doing it as a "political" move (as in, "We're supporting DVD-A, not SACD"...little sense as that makes).

13. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I think they were on Charisma.... or is Charisma part of Virgin now??? .... and Virgin is part of EMI...... right?
    :confused: :rolleyes: :sigh:

14. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Yeah, they're on Virgin over there, so I'll bet it'll be SACD in Europe and DVD-A (on Atlantic) over here...

Ryan

15. mjb

mjb Senior Member

And if Peter Gabriel has any say in it, he's in the SACD camp...

16. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Go for it Rudy! it looks like he answers queries pretty regularly.

In scanning the posts there it looks like Tony and Mike are around this project quite a bit, but Peter generally likes to stay far away from what he views as wallowing in the past.:sigh:

(Unless, of course, its 1995 and he's re-recording 4/5ths of the Lamb live set for Archive 1!)

17. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

DVD-A for North America (Warner/Atlantic) should be no big deal. They are probably mixing the surround in PCM anyway.

18. -=Rudy=-

That would be my guess also...however, would Atlantic just do this as a political move? I don't see a reason to create a DVD-A version if the SACD already exists, other than that.

19. -=Rudy=-

"Rudy64" has asked, and awaits the response. ;)

20. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Warners has been pretty adamant so far -- I would *very* surprised to see them issue an SACD. Anything's possible, though, I guess, especially since the WB music division appears to be on the block...

Ryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.