Genesis live concert video from 1971-74?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

Saw Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited concert last night and it left me wondering what video we have of Gabriel-era Genesis?

There are a couple of French TV concert extracts on the DVDs which come with the SACD reissues of Selling England and the Lamb, both very interesting but incomplete.

Gabriel's costumes and theatrics make the live performances a very different experience from just hearing the audio.

How much is out there in terms of reasonable quality video of complete or near-complete concerts? Recommendations?

Tim

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Shepperton Studios, UK: 30/31 October 1973

Hope you like and enjoy it. Almost all available material of this era was included in the DVD that comes with the collection of Genesis (1970-1975 box sacd/dvd)

rburly likes this.
  3. onlyconnect

Ah, Shepperton is it, thanks. Any Lamb concerts?

We are fortunate I guess that D Pennebaker did Bowie and Spiders live at Hammersmith in 1973; a shame there is nothing similar for Genesis.

Tim

4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

No full Lamb shows. However I posted this awhile back;

"Approximately an hour was filmed by the Blackwood brothers [Monk: Straight No Chaser] at the Shrine in LA in 1975. Several minutes of the footage appears in a German TV "Treff Punkte" piece about Bill Graham. Back in the 1980's a German friend of mine purchased 8mm footage of Genesis and at the end of one reel was pro-shot Lamb footage filmed off a TV set. My friend recognised and tracked the interviewer in the original piece who helped him locate and purchase the Treff Punkte segment. From there I made contact with the Blackwood brothers who were located here in NYC and who produced [and got sued over] the Treff Punkte piece. Highly amused by my collector zeal I was told by Christian Blackwood that at least an hour was filmed and that it was possible that the raw footage was still in their possession. I was also informed that I was welcome to it if they could find it. For two weeks I sweated bullets praying that the footage was still there. Finally I got the call: nothing in the archives and his brother was pretty certain that the raw footage went to Germany with the finished piece. A very sad day indeed. "

brunofaetten likes this.
  5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

There is a film from Montreal 4/74. It was an unfinished project by a student who filmed portions of two nights with a super 8 camera on a tripod. In the 1980's a friend of mine bought the footage and edited it into a 45 minute film using the radio broadcast as the soundtrack. An interesting document.

6. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

The closest thing that you can get of the tour (audio-video format) is the original sequence of slides projected during the show that appear in the bonus dvd of the SACD from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Ah! and some segments without audio when the band plays "The Lamia" and when Peter disguises the Slippermen form a German TV archives.

7. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

If you do the bit torrent thing, you can get an HD version of the Shepperton show from The Movement site that features better quality (both video and audio) than the version released on the box set. I think the audio is patched from different shows though, so purists will probably want both versions.

8. This should be everything there is featuring Peter Gabriel:

Roundhouse, London, March 11 1970 (with Anthony Philips and John Mayhew, from a festival also featuring David Bowie. Small clips have featured in documentaries)
    Pop Shop, Brussels, March 20 1972 (4 songs recorded for Belgian TV)
    Piper Club, Rome, April 18 1972 (less than 5 minutes of black and white footage, pro-shot but poor quality)
    Bataclan, Paris, January 10 1973 (30 minutes of color footage, the footage of Peter Gabriel with the fox head and red dress often shown in documentaries comes from this film)
    Sheperton Film Studios, October 30 1973 (probably the best footage with Peter Gabriel available, 1 hour of footage from the Selling By The Pound Tour)
    Midnight Special, Burbank, December 20 1973 (2 songs for US TV)
    Palasport, Turin, February 3 1974 (poor color silent footage, audience shot)
    Melody, Paris, February 12 1974 (French TV broadcast, 2 songs)
    Santa Monica, March 21 1974 (silent footage, audience shot)
    Chicago, April 11 1974 (silent footage, audience shot)
    Montreal, April 21 1974 (super 8 footage, silent but dubbed audio from the radio broadcast does exist)
    Rochester, April 22 1974 (more silent footage, audience shot)
    New York, May 6 1974 (more silent footage, this is interesting because it features the only footage of Peter Gabriel flying at the end of Supper's Ready)
    Rochester, December 17 1974 (silent 8 mm footage, audience shot)
    Berkeley, January 22 1975 (only pro-shot color footage of the tour, only a few minutes, no whole songs, appears in German TV broadcast)
    Chicago, February 4 1975 (more audience footage, silent)
    Berlin, February 23 1975 (2 minutes of black and white pro-shot footage from Italian TV)
    Bern, March 29 1975 (more silent 8 mm audience footage)
    Hamburg, April 8 1975 (silent 8 mm audience footage)
    Liverpool, April 19 1975 (silent 8 mm audience footage, at more than 20 minutes probably the longest of the audience filmed shows)
    Kiel, May 10 1975 (silent 8 mm audience footage)
    Reims, May 16 1975 (black and white pro-shot footage, less than 2 minutes)
    Milton Keynes, October 2 1982 (apparently footage exists from this show. fans have spotted cameras at the event and Peter Gabriel has admitted owning footage. But nothing circulates among fans)

9. onlyconnect

Very helpful, thanks. I am surprised there is so little, considering the popularity of the band at the time, post Foxtrot at least.

I was at the Milton Keynes concert, if only I'd known! But it wasn't quite like the early seventies.

Tim

10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Do you mean the 1982 Milton Keynes concert? I just started listening to that one the other night and hopefully tonight I can hear it uninterrupted. It's only a decent sounding audience recording but the energy from the crowd is great and PC's drumming is out of this world. If there really is footage out there, I hope it circulates someday.

11. onlyconnect

Yes, that one. It's actually a big field - natural amphitheatre - near Milton Keynes. Enjoyed it.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.