Genesis Nursery Cryme - Best LP Pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Just what I thought, so close, but I find them ever so biting and fatiguing. In it's a original form it was quite the opposite, a bit murky and powerless.
    Listening to the "Nursery Cryme" remix here, it's passable, commendable that they went back to the multitracks, they just should've run the whole thing through some tubes during the mastering ;)

TLMusic likes this.
  2. tgood

tgood Well-Known Member

Been lurking for a while and thought I might throw a post about one of the many albums I have been listening to off and on since adolescence. Having a new vinyl rig I have been back-filling on some old faves and now have 4 versions of Nursery Cryme. First a 2008 re-issue which while quiet is unrewarding excepting the nice material; cramped and muted. Next an expensive RTI test pressing from Acoustic Sounds - a little better but Peter Gabriel's vocals oddly recessed and again compact and crowded when the music gets dense. Next a Pink Scrolls CAS 1052 a-2/b-2 w/ ?"Bull Sound" on the B side and what looks like fw gol on A side and son scc on B side deadwax; anyway this pressing provides a notable jump in space, depth, and clarity - onto something here. Lastly another Pink Scrolls with the following deadwax CAS1052 A-4/B-4 each followed by REPL and again ? "Bull Sound" followed by something too difficult to make out then an encircled MR and final A16892x. This last pressing brings a lot more to the table in this comparison; as much depth, space, clarity, detail, and punch as I have ever heard with this album. Both my Pink Scrolls are "Buddah" thus US pressings if my understanding is correct. What might I expect from a Pink Scroll or Mad Hatter from the UK?

3. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

It should be printed as Bell Sound. Perhaps there was a sloppy type-o there on your LP record.

4. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

Have you checked out the 200 gram vinyl pressings of Nursery Cryme? I am tempted to pay the 50+ bucks on one but...can't afford it now.Let me know if there is any beauty/wonder in the playback of these new 200 grm LPs if you get the chance.

5. Tesbert

Tesbert Forum Resident

Guys, I was wondering if somebody ever heard the difference between side A and B of NC, with regard to bass volume. I've several UK copies LMH, SMH etc, but side B (JM initials) consquently lacks bass. The Classic Record, and the Holland pressing are better in that respect. Side A of the UK pressings remain my favourites though.

6. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Just got a UK pressing of this today, and it's one distributed by Phonogram, not B&C. I really, really dislike the way the vocals are really buried into the mix. Especially in the closing section of the Musical Box, you can barely hear Peter Gabriel! Surely the B&C ones are better?

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

Is this a blue label charisma?

8. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I have purchased two US Pink Scrolls and both were far too noisy and I dumped them. Didn't care for the sound of those even outside of the noisy part. I do have a Canadian Buddah thats not very good soundwise at all IMO, but its super clean! Would love to have the favored UK press, but I have moved on from this album to other albums that I want. Maybe one day I will find THE one.

9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The best, and cheapest I've heard so far is the 1980's Atlantic reissue - but only for side 2.
    For some reason, almost all of the pressings have a problem with side 1 - it's muddy.
    Even the Classic Records 200g reissue has this problem - side 1 is murky and side 2 is great. It's fine, otherwise. Dead quiet pressing.
    $50.00? I guess it's cheaper than getting a UK pink scroll original.

Buddah pressings do not usually measure up. Why buy one of those? Totally different from the UK pink scroll pressings.

Nursery Cryme was not a fantastic sounding recording to begin with. Foxtrot was leagues better sounding, as even inferior pressings will prove.

10. yesstiles

That's a bummer. I like side 1 twice as much as side 2.

11. HiFi Guy 008

Then you gotta spend the bucks for a UK pink scroll and hope for the best.

The UK Nimbus cd is pretty good. The Return of the Giant Hogweed is great.
    Btw, we recently had a special news report warning of...Hogweed here in CT. Yes, it's real.
    And very toxic causing severe pain. I was dumbfounded and recorded it for friends to see. Made me love the song even more. I feel for my UK friends.

The Musical Box is better on other pressings.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  12. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

No, large Madhatter. But instead of "Distributed by B&C" along the bottom it says "Distributed by Phonogram", and it's a Gatefold. Looks pretty old, the glue along the inside of the inner sleeve holding the plastic part has yellowed (ew).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Is the cover textured?

Also, what does it say in the deadwax?

14. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

No, not textured. Deadwax is something like CAS****1052 A//6 T on Side 1 and CAS 1052 B//2 T on the other. Machine printed

15. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Growing up I thought the "giant hogweed" was an imaginary plant invented by Genesis. Was very surprised to find out it was real!

My $.02 on all these different versions. I have a US large Mad Hatter Buddah gatefold "DJ copy only" and it sounds very very good to these ears. Only fault would be inner groove distortion most noticeable on Salmacis.

16. HiFi Guy 008

I thought the giant hogweed was made up too. Then to my shock there was a news report that the giant hogweed plant was spreading through Connecticut! They warned that it could cause pain and gave detailed descriptions and pictures. I recorded it, to the delight of my friends.

If the Buddah copy has idg, it's either groove wear from a previous owner or your cart isn't set up right.

17. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Don't decide just from the label. Earliest UK mad hatter (large with structured cover) was made from the same matrixes as scroll and sounds very good too.

marblesmike likes this.
  18. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Probably it's just been played a bit. It's not a pristine copy; has a few scratches. But miles ahead of the one I bought new in the 80s that wasn't a gatefold.

I need to get new copies of Trespass, Foxtrot, Selling England, and Wind and Wuthering.

19. Aludra85

Aludra85 New Member

I'm surprised you get top end problems with a Garrard. I wouldn't say my system was forgiving (AT cartridge and metal dome tweeters). Nothing wacky about the sound. People get used to the sound of original 70's lp's but they often have curtailed high frequencies which make a nice musical sound. The Genesis Classic albums are not excessively bright by Grundman standards but lets say more detailed. I don't play at very high volume which may be a reason these don't grate. They are the best thing if you don't have mint and clean original pressings.
    Visit here

20. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Just getting back into Vinyl and looking for some Genesis!

This thread has been very informative, thanks... Looks like I need Pink Scrolls or B&C Large Hatter labels for Nursery Cryme and Trespass, then B&C Large Hatter for Foxtrot, Live and Selling England and so on...

For the Lamb, I swear I saw a thread somewhere on here where someone said that the very first pressing had a hum all the way through that was removed for subsequent lacquers... anyone know anything about that?

21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I've heard that too about the Lamb but cannot confirm. I have a first US with the Porky/Pecko mastering credits in the deadwax so I'm guessing it's the same as the UK 1st pressing.

As for SEBTP, good luck finding a 1st UK copy in great shape with no surface noise. I went through 4 before finding one I liked enough to keep, but they are costly items. I'd suggest the 1st German pressing which to my ears sounds better than the 1st UK and is easier to find in NM playing condition.

22. yesstiles

And comes with a gatefold. :thumbsup:

marblesmike likes this.
  23. dachada

dachada Senior Member

In my collection best gatefold artwork releases are the italian SEBTP with the picture on the back cover and the textured French ATOTT with inner in english and french. The Nursery Crime B&C small hatter is good . i will check the matrix and post them later

24. LivingForever

Ok, trying to make sense of early UK pressings of Nursery Cryme.

We can all agree that the Pink Scroll was the first in 1971, so that's fine.

PINK SCROLL: https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Nursery-Cryme/release/1907830

The next one Discogs has listed as 1971 is a small Mad Hatter label, with textured sleeve from Garrod and Lofthouse.

SMALL HATTER 1971: https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Nursery-Cryme/release/4431908

Surely, with this being on the small Mad Hatter label, this *has* to be a post-74 pressing, right? The label reads "Marketed by B&C Records" (not manufactured and distributed by, if this helps.)

Then the next one, which seems like it ought to have been the real second press in 1972 - on a Large Mad Hatter label with "Manufactured and Distributed by B&C Records, Ltd" and a sleeve by E&J Day.

LARGE HATTER: https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Nursery-Cryme/release/5511170

So, is Discogs right? And if I don't want to pay out for the scroll label but want the earliest other variation, I need the Small Hatter "Marketed by B&C"? Or is the Large Hatter issue mentioned there the one I'm after?

Thanks!

25. LivingForever

Ah, you know what - I think that small hatter label entry under 1971 must be an erroneous duplicate of this:

https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Nursery-Cryme/release/4106989 - this is the 3rd pressing on the Small Hatter label, Marketed by B&C

Although it claims to come in an EJ Day sleeve and not Garrod and Lofthouse. Crikey, this is all very confusing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.