Genesis on Classic Records-Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thommo577, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Thommo577

Thommo577 Forum Resident Thread Starter

OR a German 1986 repress GF at $17, VG+? Any comparison thoughts/ opinions? Dutch- bright,clean but lacking bottom end ( I am a bass player), German was said to be 'muffled' lacking clarity...Is this accurate? Thanks!

2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Wish I could help. My experiences with Dutch pressings is generally that they are OK, but sort of mediocre in terms of sonics (slightly washed-out sounding in comparison to comparable German or UK pressings, like they come from higher-generation tapes). This is a very broad generalization, though, and I haven't heard anything about that particular pressing. Even if it is consistent with my experiences with Dutch pressings, if it is really in NM condition, it may be a perfectly fine starter copy (and far better than a version of the remix, IMHO).

3. Thommo577

Well I THINK it's a classic reissue. Do you know how I can tell? Is it the dead wax info? Thanks!

4. Thommo577

Is anyone willing to part with a nice NM or VG++ copy of Foxtrot or SEBTP? I am willing to pay up to $30 or so....Thanks all!

5. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Early Genesis UK Charisma lp have B&C Records Ltd. distribution credits. Made in different times with lot different stampers, Some by EMI and others by Orlake. Many of them have a sound that is too warm depending of the system. some of the 70s repressing by Phonogram still have the warm sound. I think some 80s UK blue label by Phonogram and later by Virgin were re-cut with a little more detail. LPs with more detailed sound are the Atlantic and Atco US 80s reissues mastered by George Piros and Dennis King. German 70s LP are great option in many cases but I think are not detailed as the US 80s LP. To conclude, if you like a particular album you should try the many versions you can find because each has their peculiarity of showing more detail or dynamic

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  6. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

I agree. The early German pressing of Lamb is excellent. You can find an ex (+) for 15-20. Lots of bass pedal

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  7. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

WHAAAAAAATT??? o_O

Do you have matrix numbers handy for yours? Because I have what should be the first German pressing on the blue Phillips label and it's easily one of the worst sounding copies of that album I've heard, and I own a bunch. Mine is abysmal, it's really just that bad.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  8. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I agree.

The Pink Scroll is pretty close, but I preferred the Classic myself. To be fair, my Pink Scroll is pretty noisy.

9. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I haven't heard the Pink Scroll of Trespass, but oddly enough, after comparing a ton of copies of this (my favorite Genesis album), the best sounding ones were US reissues, initially cut for the ABC label (yellow sunburst label) and later for the MCA reissues. I don't have the matrix numbers handy, but I seem to recall the good ones ending in W1 or W2 while there are several pressings on those labels that do NOT have those matrices and sound inferior.

I've actually wondered if what happened is that because the ABC copies previously sounded awful (beware black label copies), maybe ABC requested a better tape from the UK and Charisma sent over the master or something awfully close to it. The pressing I refer to really is that good. The only problem is finding a copy that isn't on noisy budget-grade vinyl!

hi_watt and NorthNY Mark like this.
  10. NorthNY Mark

Wow. I will look it up when I get home. What exactly do you find abysmal about it? My copy has a great balance between the characteristics of my other copies (US first pressing too trebly, and UK small hatter too dull). The German sounds warm and natural on my system, but with plenty of detail on the acoustic instruments. Tonally, it sounds similar to my UK first pressings of Foxtrot and SEBTP (possibly a bit better than Foxtrot). I haven't heard the UK pink scroll or large hatter, which might be even better in some ways, but when I listen to the German Philips, I don't feel any need to upgrade. What are you hearing too much or too little of with your copy?

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Then we MUST have different pressings. I'll have to remember to make note of my matrix info and post it here. My German Philips is dull, muddy and distant with little to no high end or significant bass. It sounds about as good as what I'd expect from a pirate pressing though I know mine is clearly vintage and likely legit.

12. Thommo577

How about a copy of SEBTP --180 gram 2013 Euro reissue MINT for $25? Are these true to the original sound intentions of Genesis and John Anthony? Or do they lack the detail and the depth of the Porky's/ Classic/ Original UK pressings?
    Do any other countries have good pressings? Japan? Australia? Italy?
    Thanks- So many choices OY!!

13. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

That LP is so hard to find a clean copy of.

Honestly go for a Classic if you can't find a Porky because you will go mad finding a clean original.

The remix sounds like a remix. It's nice in an academic way and is illuminating, but when you want what we all enjoyed for years to be represented, it won't cut it.

So find both!

14. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

As for the Peter Gabriel titles,the Classic Records is the best choice:I have the titles on Clarity vinyl and the sound is amazing.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. Thommo577

Found a few more on Discogs
    No barcode Phonogram copy - 70's
    Small MH label Porky's $35-$40 (a few copies listed)
    1972 Large MH Charisma 6369 922
    $20.
    Weigh in please- I need a good clean, full-sounding copy,guys.
    Thanks!

16. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

I only have two albums on the Classic Records label: SEBTP and Zappa's Hot Rats. Both were bought new and both came with significant edge warps. Hot Rats is nicely detailed but mastered a bit bright and SEBTP sounds pretty good but nothing special, is a little noisy in places and is not as full in the midrange as I suspect early UK pressing would be (though it's decades since I heard one of those). That's my sole experience with Classic pressings, so very limited, but it hasn't inspired me to seek out more of their titles, especially at the prices asked. I suspect they are over-hyped by those that value detail over natural ease, musicality and warmth, but my sample of two precludes such a conclusion.

My best sounding Genesis album is a Japanese pressing of Foxtrot, bought in about 1978-79. It's lovely and warm (but not at all muddy) which surprised me, as generally I find Japanese vinyl, while very quiet and beautifully pressed, to be mastered too bright, but this one is an exception. It does make me wonder if all the early Genesis pressed in Japan around this time sound as good as this one though, but I guess they would be hard to source now and expensive in any case.

Another one which I think is over-hyped judging from my copy is the MFSL pressing of Trick of the Tail. I bought this because my US Atco pressing sounds flat and dull, but, while better, I find the MFSL one to be pretty flat and dull also. This was pressed in Japan too, if memory serves (I'm at work so can't check at present). I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the master tape, because I don't remember the UK 1st, which I listened to about 100 times back in the day, sounding anything but full and punchy. At the moment, I think I prefer my CD of this (ouch!).

I too am trying to source a decent copy of NC, to replace my noisy late 70s? (I'll have to check) US copy. Trespass is one I've never owned and would like to; I was going to see what the remixed one is like as I've read some good reports on this and early UK pressings of this title are too expensive.

All the above probably doesn't help you, but it's what I've experienced. Good luck and please continue to let us know how you get on.

Thommo577 likes this.
  17. Thommo577

Porky's $34.70, NM from UK. VG+, seller states that it plays 'perfectly'. Good deal or....??

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  18. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Is the U.S. Lamb ?

19. Thommo577

Foxtrot. I just posted again. $25 including shipping. Charisma 6369 922. Is this pressing a Porky's? The other copy is definitely a NM Porky's @ $35.
    The Classic pressings and Japanese pressings are out of my range. Porky's are abadee abadee abadee abadee a g g good d d d deal uh ch ch ch cheaper. Thanks all.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  20. NorthNY Mark

A "Porky" would normally be a very early UK pressing. It's the nickname of George "Porky" Peckham, and his mastering style tends to be rich and warm (his Foxtrot may be on the edge of almost too warm, but it works on my system). If they really are in top condition, I would go for it. But if they really are a lot cheaper than Japanese pressings, it may be too good to be true--they are the originals and should be among the more expensive options. A true NM Porky of Foxtrot for $35 would be a pretty extraordinary deal.

21. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

You say you love Selling England.... if so seek out a 1st German Charisma Large Hatter label . They sound great. Very close to a UK 1st Porky and will cost a lot less for a clean copy. At least 50% cheaper and you should not have a problem finding one on your budget.

German 1st of this were discussed in a thread a few years ago and they are well regarded. I have both a German and UK 1st. Only two I’ve kept.

German also has a unique gatefold cover with the lyrics printed inside both panels.

AidanB likes this.
  22. Thommo577

Well, the copy I got burned on is on Phonogram, a repress. Not sure what year, but 80's, it's very flexible and light. Scratches in the first side, embedded dust....cleaned it up and it's noisy, a few pops, like a VG. Certainly not acceptable as 'in great shape' in lieu of a play grade....duh! It was $14.50 but I am working on a refund from EBay....whew.
    Any opinions on CANADIAN pressings?? The early ones are reasonably priced...

23. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

Hi,
    I got SEBTP on Classic Records and a German'80 repress ((Virgin/Charisma label,gatefold )
    And i prefer the German repress over Classic:shrug:
    Classic is too bass heavy with several print issues (i clean it but issues remains). Sounds not so good on my set up
    The German is more clear on midrange and i vastly prefer.
    I got 3 great sounding Led Zeppelin on Classic (I-II-IV) , "Aqualung" (very good) and several by the Who (hit and miss),but SEBTP is one of the worst sounding,imo

stonedhenge and Thommo577 like this.
  24. Thommo577

Thanks, it's different to different ears, isn't it? I remember buying Interaudio speakers with my first component system because the other options my friends chose were to bright and harsh sounding to me. So, yes mid-range is my fave range, I like a balanced sound, a little bassy is OK. Sounds like if I can't get an original pressing of Foxtrot, German re-press or Japanese re-press would probably be my best bet. I am waiting for the right price aka a good deal, as I can't afford to go much over $30.

25. Thommo577

First US pressing, Bell Sound, black Buddah inner sleeve.
    $24.99 plus shipping, U.S. seller...

Comes in a protective sleeve. ♫ Vinyl plays nicely (play-tested). Gate-fold cover looks great; very-light scuffing (front/back/inner-gate), two small abrasions in top-left on front. Inner sleeve is poly-lined paper. die-cut mad-hatter Charisma label. Spine is easy-to-read, with mild-wear. Very-little shelf-wear along bottom-edge, wear along top-edge and corners. Opening is crisp with signs of light-use. (Not a cut-out.) ♬ Any questions? Please ask.

Thoughts?