Genesis - Seconds Out question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

I'm familiar with the early Genesis material, yet I never owned, and don't recall hearing, the live album Seconds Out . If you can believe this, I actually heard the live version of Carpet Crawlers on the radio the other day (107.1 in NY area - "The Peak") and I was blown away! It's a terrific version, and it took me a little while to realize that Phil Collins was singing the lead that Peter Gabriel recorded on the studio version. How is the rest of this live album? How is the sound quality?

thanks

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Great set. I really like the way Phil did "Supper's Ready". This album DOES make great example of just how close Peter and Phil's voices were.

I just got into Seconds Out only a year ago. It's excellent.

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I love this album and the remaster sounds fine. All the Gabriel songs are done well by Phil and I highly recommend this one. the one i play the most of all my Genesis cd's.

4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

As you, I'm a big fan of early Genesis (particularly the PG era). The last Genesis album I own is And Then There Were Three. I prefer Genesis Live, but I would recommend Seconds Out as well. There are some good versions of early songs, and Phil does a pretty good job on the PG songs. The sound quality is good.

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Seconds Out is the first Genesis album I ever heard. Blew me away. Worth getting.

6. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I hold a dissenting opinion. Phil does an admirable job as a vocalist, but completely lacks the personality of Gabriel that made these pieces come alive. PG inflected them with humor and character, and Collins taking over lost that important dimension.

7. stereoptic

Looks like I'll be adding this one to my "keep my eyes open for" list! I don't have any digital Genesis, and I'm sitting on the fence about getting anything now since the potential SACD version of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway may pave the way for others.

8. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I agree that Phil is no PG, and therefore I would put this album below Genesis Live, but the rest of the band is great and Phil does a good job filling in.

9. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Seconds Out is one of the tightest live albums I've ever heard. It is well reproduced on CD. I have not heard the remastered version, I imagine it may be a little louder sounding.

10. DJ WILBUR

I think Phil is tremendous in filling Peter's shoes on these Gabriel era tracks. The band is incredible and his abilities to keep the essence of these Gabriel songs and make them partly his own is nothing short of miraculous.

Realize he was "new" to fronting this band, and what a person he had to replace, he gets an A+ for effort and an A for execution...imo...highly recommened by this Genesis fan who's got each and every title on vinyl and cd...I turn to this one all the time as a great sampling of their best years.

11. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the Platinum Collection 3 CD comp? I'm thinking of getting that. I don't listen to the albums anymore and the track list looks OK (except that it's missing half of Foxtrot, the only Genesis album I can listen to throughout anymore) and they're backwards for some reason...

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I thought Phil was going to sound out of place when I first got this record. I had to try for curiosity sake?

Hard to believe two people in the same band sound fairly similar. Heck Donald, go see if you can find the LP to wet your appetite with it. The Atlantic LP sounds nice.

13. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I have the album, IMO it's one of the best albums that I have listened in my life :) . I have of not remastered version, (maybe, I bought in 1988; I don't remember well). ALL the songs are excellent interpretations. You will obtain a sensation of magic when listening it, and you will perceive immediately that this album is special, believe me. ;)

14. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Like Dave64, this was the first I'd heard of the "early" Genesis repertoire. When the drummers get going on this set, it's just NIRVANA!!!

I also think that Phil "sings" these songs better than Peter, who more "talk-sings" in my opinion...but I've brought that up before...

Bottom line: Awesome album!

15. DJ WILBUR

Good point, you're totally right. This is why i enjoy these songs sung by Phil so much more than Peter.

16. stereoptic

thanks, Sckott. All I need is a turntable!!! :( (eventually I'll replace my long lost old Technics TT)

17. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

My German LP is outstanding such that the CD and the Canadian LP went to the used store. Bought a Japanese LP for a backup. It is a typical JP copy, too thin on the bass for me, but nice and quiet.

Brian

18. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I have of CD not remastered version and it sounds excellent, very good sound quality. I don't have idea as the CD remastered version or LP sounds.

19. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

This is such a fine album! One of my faves and I really like all the Genesis albums up to abacab.

Hard to believe, but Genesis auditioned something like 200 singers before realizing they had the right choice in the band already.

I'm also a big fan of the live stuff with Bruford on Three sides live.

20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

say, what ever happened to the concert film of the '77 tour? I went to see it here when it opened, and it's never shown up on video since (I think there was a Japanese laserdisc, but I could never locate a copy. was it a unauthorized pirate edition, maybe?)

is this ever gonna be released on DVD?

(I honestly don't remember too much about it, except that I was VERY annoyed that they only showed about half of 'Supper's Ready.')

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Bruford also plays on Seconds Out on the track "Cinema Show."

22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

This album introduced me to the band in the late 70's, and totally blew me away. What amazed me was that they could reproduce this same sound when I saw them live in '78, and that the album wasn't the result of studio trickery.

One of the best live albums ever. The close of Dance On A Volcano/Los Endos is worth the cost alone.

23. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I like Lamb Lies Down on Broadway/Musical Box (Closing Section). Hackett's guitar playing is great during the end of Musical Box! :righton:

I think it's a great live album. My only complaint is the sequencing of the first half. I think Squonk is a weak album opener.

24. doowopman

doowopman Forum Hall Of Fame

Seconds Out is quite a nice live album in it's own right. Like a few others have said, just a tiny notch below Genesis Live. SO is waaaaaaay better than Three Sides Live by any means, IMO. Phil does a credible and quite nice job with the Gabriel material. I sort of have a love/hate thing with the scatting during certain tracks (a la I Know What I Like).

My only small quibbles are that the full intros to Firth of Fifth and Carpet Crawlers have been chopped :shh:. For the curious, the Firth "piano" intro and the CC "There is lambswool under my naked feet..." section.

Phil does a fantastic Supper's Ready, agreed. Seconds Out also has the definitive version of Afterglow. It's sung with an incredible passion not even heard in the version on Wind and Wuthering.

The balance of material is great, as well. A prime cut selection of PG tracks and W&W/TotT tracks. The Musical Box closing suite even comes out quite nicely!

Snatch a copy up and enjoy! Great album, but be warned. You'll be craving a lot more Genesis :righton:.

25. doowopman

doowopman Forum Hall Of Fame

Agreed. Squonk is sort of an odd lead off :D. But it's a better lead-off than Robbery, Assault, and Battery would've been, imo ;).

And Hackett's guitar is spot-on.

Just a downright sweet experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.