Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

In Hiding was originally an instrumental waltz, written by Phillips if memory serves me right, and called Patricia.
    It definitely gets better with lyrics.

2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Am I the only one to hear this and immediately be reminded of The Lamia? Definitely some melodic overlap.

On listening again I am reminded that some of these songs individually are very good. There are many songs on later Genesis albums that I don't enjoy as much as these. People are wrong to simply dismiss this album.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  3. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

For those who like digging deeper, there's an entertaining Genesis podcast here;

Tabletop Genesis

And for those who like to dig very deep, check out Lileighwhite Lilith's channel on youtube, here's a vid of her singling out which lines from 'Anyway' were re-recorded by Peter in the mid 90s for the Archive box set, then later which lines he re-recorded in 2009 (!) for the live box set - I had no idea this was done! - at least that is what I think she meant, I lost my understanding of what was going on;

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea I believe there was a bit of retouching on the Rainbow set

5. The_Windmill

Non only Gabriel. Hackett re-did some solos and later Banks played (half speed!) the Cinema solo on the Montreal show in the boxset.

As for the archives, you can find it out yourself. If you listen carefully, you clearly hear Gabriel's voice getting "fatter" and all of a sudden too much better recorded than the rest. Same thing for Hackett's guitar and its reverb.

6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

:bigeek:

But... I got work to do over the weekend... the Genesis part of me doesn't allow it to be done before he had his way and watched this video a few times.:eek:

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

I wonder how many views an analysis like this had if it was not made by an attractive woman

8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Remember all those Zeppelin covers always posted on Facebook? Do 16 million people really listen to her version of Stairway to Heaven or do they admire the performer more than the performance...? ;)

peterpyser and mark winstanley like this.
  9. Giant Hogweed

I knew about the re-recording done for the Archive boxset, but not for the later stuff. I don't mind it either, to me Peter singing Genesis stuff in the 90s is great as he hadn't sung it in many years previous, almost a bit like a reunion for him and these songs.

10. Giant Hogweed

11. mark winstanley

ahhhh the Weather lady factor

LeBon Bush likes this.
  12. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I never give Peter's vocal replacements a second thought - the editing is seamless and his vocal sound is plausable. Steve's guitar replacements, OTOH, stick out to me like a handful of sore thumbs. The tone and ambience are all so wrong, and they're mixed uncomfortably loud. They take me out of the moment.

The_Windmill and mark winstanley like this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yes, that's how I think of things. The live show on the Archives box is as close to a reunion as we will get so I'll take it. I have the boots if I need to hear the real thing. This is the only way I remain sane. It was a bit arrogant of Peter to thing he could convincingly fix 20 year old vocals and not be detected.

I also wonder if it wasn't also Peter who demanded the alternate vocal tracks punched into the remix of "Supper's Ready". Is he that much of a control freak? Is he like George Lucas, constantly tinkering away making things "better"?

It is rather sad that the only official live release of Gabriel "Supper's Ready" is one where old man Garbriel has to stick his two cents in.

The decision not to include the "Genesis Live" version of "Supper's Ready" in the Live Box cube was an outrage. Instad we get a handful of Lamb tracks we already have for no apparently reason. Bad call, Tony.

The "test pressing" version of "Live" that's floating around on the net is THE version to own. It's better than the official release. And it has "Supper's Ready".

AidanB, ohnothimagen, Bemsha and 4 others like this.
  14. mark winstanley

They made a few weird calls on that live box. I still don't understand why three sides wasn't 5.1'd ... I know they could have done it, because that frustrating three sides dvd is

15. The_Windmill

Actually, Peter never made a mystery of the fixes. They just needed to be done. Sometimes the vocals were unlistenable, other times maybe it was a bit of perfectionism. But I don't see it as cheating. I've seen a doc where he openly discusses the thing and trying to get back to his younger singing style.

As for the control freak, he said he rejected the first version of the Lamb remix and asked Davis to do some corrections. But that's it. He was not there when Davis did his remixes. Nor was anybody else. And only Tony is the one on the record to have listened to everything in its entirety.
    I really don't see Gabriel pushing for an alternate track. Frankly, I don't see any of the guys to spot on the fly, just by heart, which performance of theirs got into the final recording. They didn't listen to those albums as much as we did. You can bet on that.

As for Live. Putting Supper's Ready in it would have made it a double CD, possibly raising the price, and they chose not to, since there's another version in the same box which obviously they don't deem different enough to justify the redundancy. But yes, those Lamb tracks don't make any sense. They are joke. A bad one.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    ti-triodes and mark winstanley like this.
  16. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Not true. It would have fit on a single disc - as it does on a few bootlegs that contain it along with the rest of the 'Genesis Live' tracks all taken from a copy of that rare double acetate.

Here's the best version (lasting 69:45)

24-Feb-1973, Free Trade Hall, Manchester, England - Live In Leicester

17. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I've been a subscriber to Lileigh White Lilith for years. Great channel! She has a series of great ones looking into the BankSynths. Here's a great one of her looking at vintage equipment with Tom Lord-Alge and Dave Kerzner. I learned a lot about Tony's keyboard setups from this channel.

18. Giant Hogweed

Whizz to 2.42 to see what Phil Collins was up to at this point;

19. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Man, when Phil still had hair... :D

(no offence, it's just he seems to have lost his hair extraordinarily fast)

20. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Umm no, that is for another thread. Just giving my perspective of my musical background, which is an open book.

21. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

It's a dedicated mono mix, definitely not a fold-down, there are a number of clear differences between the two. The vocals on the mono are drier, with less or no reverb, the strings and brass are a little less prominent, track lengths are slightly different in a few cases and the joining pieces are spliced in differently. Overall it's a better listen than the stereo and really does deserve an official release using the newly discovered tapes. I don't have the RSD vinyl box, so can't comment on its attributes or otherwise, although the people responsible for it did offer to buy my copy (at 'market price' although no figure was ever mentioned) to use for the needle-drop, but later withdrew the offer when they managed to borrow a copy - not that I intended on selling it anyway.

For something that must have sold in tiny quantities and should be impossibly rare it does turn up for auction fairly regularly and usually fetches in the £1200-1500 range, although I've seen a couple clear £2000.

22. mark winstanley

23. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

24. mark winstanley

25. mark winstanley

Me too Mate ... not long now :)