Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

A FLOWER???

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Easy reference guide

From Genesis To Revelation
    - Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Liner notes Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 1 When The Sour Turns To Sweet Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    without strings Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 2 In The Beginning Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 3 The Fireside Song Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 4 The Serpent Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 5 Am I Very Wrong Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 6 In The Wilderness Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    rough mix Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 7 The Conqueror Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 8 In Hiding Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 9 One Day Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 10 The Window Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    alternate Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 11 In Limbo Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    alternate Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 12 Silent Sun Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 13 A Place to call my own Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    new mix Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Other Early Tracks
    Patricia (In Hiding demo) Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    A Winter's Tale (single) Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    A Winters Tale (alternate -with studio banter) Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    That's Me Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Image Blown Out Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Build Me A Mountain Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    On The Trail Of The One Eyed Hound Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Let Us Now Make Love Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Jackson Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Trespass - Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 1 Looking For Someone Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    live at BBC Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 2 White Mountain Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    live in'76 Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 3 Visions Of Angels Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 4 Stagnation Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Stagnation (BBC sessions) Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Supper's Ready (live) Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Links of interest

Tabletop Genesis
    Genesis - The Movement
    The Complete Guide To Live Genesis Radio Shows
    ~A Genesis Discography
    Tabletop Genesis
    Thanks for these guys

3. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Are we at Foxtrot already?

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Nope, we’re still at Trespass lol. Just some photo confusion.

lrpm and mark winstanley like this.
  5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Exactly. Can't you see this is the land of confusion?

It's OK, I'll stop now.

The_Windmill and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I feel like Genesis is one of the most quotable bands ever. Just something as simple as A FLOWER??? gets fans nodding their heads ;^)

8. Stagnation : My favorite track on an album that I love from start to finish.

Tony's organ divebombs ( from around the 2:00 minute mark to the 2:55 mark ) are achieved by flipping the on / off switch of his organ.

The same effect was used later on Twilight Alehouse.

9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

What's funny is, I never knew this album even had a gatefold. My copy back in the day certainly didn't have one. I wonder if the late 70s early 80s pressings did away with them because it obviously wasn' t a big seller. Damn, now I feel ripped off. I love gatefolds.

10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The gatefolds for Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot were also really nice, though I can't recall them in detail now. Of course The Lamb was the most ambitious.

11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Never had a gatefold for Foxtrot either! :realmad: Definitely did for Nursery Cryme and The Lamb though.
    The next thing you'll be telling me SEBTP had a gatefold as well, though I'm pretty sure it didn't. (Right?)

12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Selling England had one as well - the german 1st press is a really nice gatefold :agree:

Genesis albums are so beautiful for their artwork alone... the 70s run at least.

13. Leonthepro

Meh, I think most of the enjoyment from the sleeves come from the outer parts. All Genesis inner artwork and stuff never appealed to me enough, not even The Lambs. But I have them all in gatefold.

14. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I didn't know Selling England had one! I have gatefolds for all the others. What does it look like?

15. Leonthepro

[​IMG]
    From my german copy. Not too exciting as you can see.

16. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Tony, at the time - was not happy with Eno messing with the record at all - he's fine with it now, but he DID touch some keys, they weren't used on the final release version. I did misremember the quote, but you did as well with all respect.

On topic, well kind of. Earlier I lied, everyone was still doing harmony vocals on Nursery Cryme as well.

[​IMG]

Of course I can find Trespass and Nursery Cryme with gatefolds but I still haven't found a Wind and Wuthering gatefold yet... :/ that one is so nice.

17. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Might as well end the REM discussion quick as well.

It's southern term meaning going mad, losing it, freaking out, etc.

in a sentence "i'm losing my religion because I thought I heard her laughing the other day..."

18. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Ah thanks! I have a non-gatefold, and those lyrics were included but on a double sided insert!

supernaut and mark winstanley like this.
  19. Leonthepro

Yupp, thats how the other sleeves did it. I believe the UK original is like that so its the original way this time around.

20. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

My local radio station in small country town Australia did not play Genesis in the 70s (it was doggies on Wed night, trots on Fri night and top 40 in between times). So I never got to hear Genesis until Phil Collins was a solo star (awful stuf IMHO) and Genesis had become a pop band (also awful). Then I read about the real Genesis in a book or magazine somewhere in the mid-80s and I got Selling England. My Gosh this was a totally different band, not even close. I loved it straight away and SE is still in my top 10 of all time.

I collected all the Gabriel/Hackett records of course but I usually only get time to listen to Selling England and Foxtrot. But reading this thread has got me back in a Genesis mood. I have listened to three albums so far this week.

FGTR. I have got the US London pressing, the UK Decca Rock Roots pressing (includes the 2 singles) and the Edsel 2 CD. I don't have much more to add to what has been previously said, its very much of its time, and to criticise it is very unfair given the youth of the band and the production by Jonathan King. But it gave no indication of what was to come and it would not have surprised if this band was never seen again.

Trespass. I've got a lovely UK press in great condition, gatefold sleeve and lyric sheet. Also the 2 disc CD/DVD version from 2007. My gosh, I am so sad that I have not listened to this in years. Last time I listened to this I pretty much dismissed it out of hand, but with time to actually sit down and investigate this in depth I was knocked out. The development from the first LP is just phenomenal, they have gone from light weight pop purveyors to fully formed Prog Rock gods. This is not a transitional album, this is pure genius, seemingly out of thin air. Genesis rehearsed their bums off, they gigged and they surely went down to the cross roads. My 2 favourite '60s bands (Ok its boring to bring up The Beatles and The Rolling Stones but it illustrates a point) had very obvious antecedents and took 5 or 6 LPs to really find their own voice. But here is Genesis, still a bunch of kids really, playing the most amazing music. Where in heck did this come from? I will not wait a few more years to play this LP again.

And I quite like John Mayhew's drumming which seemingly puts me in a minority. I know that Phil is highly rated amongst prog drummers and is generally regarded as THE genesis drummer, but whenever I think of Phil I can't help but think about the pap he released in the 80s. 'You Can't Hurry Love"?? Maybe not, but you can hurry a bowel movement.

Duke. Of course I don't own this in any format but based on some positive comments previously in this thread I downloaded this on Apple Music and listened to it when I took the dog for a walk yesterday. While we were walking the dog pooped. I bagged the poop and deposited both the poop and Duke in the big metal bin in the park. And that's all I have to say about this album.

Great thread so far, I love the 'real' Genesis and hope to have some time to chime in later.

granata, SirMarc, ti-triodes and 2 others like this.
  21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

[​IMG]

22. mark winstanley

Dusk
    The chord structure to this is quite beautiful and the effect is brought by using an E chord shape and moving it up and down the neck and letting the open E and B strings ring, occasionally augmented by a fretted note on the two skinny strings. Always an effective way to voice chords to get that ringing pretty, somewhat ambiguous sound.
    Another song that seems to be reconciling the end of life with a continuation. Again we have Gabriel waxing poetic, drawing images that depict this end of life scenario.
    This is a serene and mellow affair and works very well in its context.
    Quite beautiful.

23. Eleventh Earl of Mar

No hate here - though, can you go into detail as to why post-Hackett Genesis is so poor in your view without saying "I don't like Phil Collins and thinking about him is even bad".

24. mark winstanley

This would be a good comment, except for your need to focus on bagging the later version of Genesis and suggest they weren't the real band. If you feel the need to follow this path, move on please.
    Thanks

25. Eleventh Earl of Mar

I love the words - the stuff Gabriel was writing felt so genuine yet so incredibly innocent and sensual without a sense of being pretentious.

"If a leaf as fallen
    Does the tree lie broken?
    And if we draw some water
    Does the well run dry?

The sigh of a mother
    The screaming of lovers
    Like two angry tigers
    They tear at each other
    See how for him lifetime's fears disappear"

So beautiful... sorry, I really, really love the Trespass era Gabriel.