Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Thanks and thanks for reading them. :)

mark winstanley and Joe McKee like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Harold The Barrel
    When I first got this record, I didn't like this song ..... It was so different from everything else on here and I couldn't process what they were doing.
    Anyhow, all these years later I really do like this song. In some ways it actually reminds me of ELO's Diary Of Horace Wimp ... The Gabriel and Collin's vocals work really well together in this song.
    I think this song starts a Genesis tradition of having a more light hearted song on the album to break up the intense moments. In spite of its more light hearted manor, this track still had some really good writing and the chord sequences are still very musically satisfying.
    Anyhow, I really like this track.

4. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

The same year I got into Genesis I also got into the Beach Boys and saw a lot of correlation between Brian Wilson's use of chords with unrelated bass notes alongside Tony's similar approach. Obviously Tony has mentioned The Beach Boys as an influence which isn't surprising.

5. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas Forum Resident

"Light" song about suicide.......

That'll break up the heaviness of the album. LOL

I like it as well......

pablo fanques and The_Windmill like this.
  6. mark winstanley

I guess light hearted in its delivery rather than its message lol

7. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Very much like Monty Phyton for me. Still, not my favorite track on NC.

The_Windmill and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I like the piano chords. It's short and sweet. Fun song. Good lyric.

9. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Seven Stones
    This is one of my favorites on the album. I love it when Genesis does folky songs, especially when they build it into something grander. They do both of those things extremely well on this song. I really like the mystical feel, which I think is more prevalent on this song than on any others on the album. It’s not “The Musical Box,” but it’s a great slow-burning track in and of itself.

Harold the Barrell
    This is another odd one. An upbeat, darkly comedic song about suicide doesn’t sound like it should be unironically enjoyable, yet somehow it is. I like the fast-moving tempo with the brief, sudden changes in dynamics.

The MEZ and mark winstanley like this.
  10. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas Forum Resident

"Light" for Genesis at that time.......

11. mark winstanley

12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I think it helped that my first experience of Genesis was Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot together, so all told those two albums have quite a few humourous moments and I realised this was a Genesis thing.

The best moment of the song - and it sounds ghoulish to say this but it's true - is at the end after "Take a running jump!" and then a dreamy series of chords that eventually fade out, suggestive of floating/falling in space after having jumped.

13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

15. DMGuy

DMGuy Forum Resident

I think my favorite line in Harold the Barrel is "you're shirt's all dirty; there's a man here for the BBC". LOL at the mom who's more concerned that he'll be seen with a dirty shirt than the fact that he's going to jump

16. mark winstanley

yea, that's why I like the fact that they wrote it out like a play/script, so you can see all the characters :)

pablo fanques likes this.
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The more I think about this song, the more I realise that the cartoonish lyrics send a really serious message - about people's lack of empathy amid their concern for trivialities. The townfolk seem more disturbed about the upset of their routine and the embarrassment at this scandalous situation than by the fact that a man appears intent on killing himself.

Surely this one must also have been based on an actual incident, like so many others of Gabriel's narratives. Why Bognor? Why the mention of him cutting off his toes? Those details seem redundant to the story, unless they are part of something that actually happened.

18. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

The cutting off his toes and serving them all for tea just seemed like a very British nursery tale-like writing style, not unlike the often gruesome fables I grew up with as a child. To me, it always seemed like a very European or Aesop inspired line.

19. mark winstanley

there are a lot of little subtle things in there ... first time "if you come on down and talk to us son". The last time it's more personal ""if you come on down and talk to us Harry" .... it's a surprisingly well written song

mx20 and Bruno Primas like this.
  20. Rose River Bear

I agree. I stayed way from going into a technical comparison of some of Brian Wilson's harmonic approach to avoid boring everyone including me. Not the place for it.
    There are many similarities between Tony Banks style and Brian Wilson. Not only the use of odd bass notes but the way they use voicings.

21. Rose River Bear

I like the song. Very theatrical with the changes in the music between the characters. I like the part were Harold comes in. The music really fits the thoughts of fantasy and dread.

22. mark winstanley

[​IMG]
    Cover for an unofficial 100 copies only white vinyl pressing single of
    a) Harold The Barrel (live)
    b) Harlequin (live)

The_Windmill and Jimbino like this.
  23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

You’ll have to put it in it’s context.
    This particular debut has a complicated history and it’s totally unlike the rest of their catalogue, for several reasons. A band in it’s early formative stage, an indifferent manager/producer and the unwanted strings that were added after the fact.
    It is what it is and a comparison to the other albums doesn’t really do it justice.

24. Rose River Bear

25. That's really cool. What program can one use to get isolated tracks?