Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" - seeking 5.1 info, please...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frank3si, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been Googling and searching here as well. It's surprisingly difficult to find out exactly what 5.1 Lamb is or was available.

I did find a long thread on the topic here, but it went up to the point where the release was postponed and then the comments went cold.

Wikipedia notes: "A SACD/DVD double disc set (including new 5.1 and Stereo mixes) was released in November 2008."

Assuming (not always wise) that this is true, is that the only release with 5.1, and if so, is this difficult to find?

I did see CD Japan now carries a Platinum SHM-CD released late last year, but I would like to hear the 5.1 as well...

Thanks to anyone who can bring me up to speed on this topic :righton:

danielbravo likes this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

3. frank3si

4. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

frank3si likes this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I remember seeing individual CD/DVD titles for sale at some point after the box sets came out, but I can't remember if it was just a few Collins-era ones or not. I am pretty sure only a few of the titles were released outside of the boxes.

As many have said, the stereo mixes blow (the mastering, mostly. I like the mixes actually), but the 5.1 is well worth seeking out, IMO. They actually put a slight bit of effort into this one too, by having a slideshow throughout the album of relevant photos from the Lamb tour. Not game-changing, but was nice to see a bit of thought put into what's on the screen in a DVD-A title.

frank3si likes this.
  6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

To be precise, it's a DVD-V and the surround mix is in DTS. But you're right, it's a nice package.

7. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

The box set, Genesis 1970- 1975 was released in 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_1970–1975)
    It contained remasters of the Gabriel era catalog and 5.1 mixes of each album.

In the US they were only available as a CD/DVD combo set. The rest of the world could opt for CD/SACD versions.

I'm not certain but I think they are out of print now but can be had for a pretty steep price from resellers.
    In late 2013 it was announced that the 5.1 mixes were going to be released in the Pure Blu Ray Audio format. But, so far only Selling England By The Pound has been made avaailable.

8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

The 5.1 remix is wonderful, AND, on top of that, the original slide show projected in the background during the Lamb tour concerts is played on the tv screen when you listen to it ! And even at time some brief super 8 scenes taken from audience filming. (during The waiting room and Slippermen). (I'm talking about the DVD european version - I don't know anything about the sacd).

danielbravo likes this.
  9. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I think it was the other way around. My version of the boxset, bought in Europe, certainly have no Sacds but DVDs.

10. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

A few years back I went looking for the same item and couldn't find it at all, except on eBay for a minimum of $300, so I gave up (I was attempting to get all the Gabriel-era albums in 5.1, and I got them all but Lamb). I'm patiently awaiting the blu ray audio.

11. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

12. frank3si

Well, I suppose if blu ray is coming, that would be the way to go. If I've lived without it this long - but I will probably get the Platinum SHM-CD to see me through. Thanks for the input, folks!

13. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I have the box sets for '70-'75 and '76-'82 and two albums from the later years. All of them are SACDs and bought in Germany (amazon). Looking at the prices for the "Lamb" SACD, these must be worth quite a bit by now.

14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I don't think the 5.1 SACD was released in the USA. It was only released in Japan as an individual disc package & part of a box set, and in Europe only as part of the green SACD box set.
    The version that was released in the USA was a Rhino Atlantic CD and DVD with compressed DTS 5.1 only.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    danielbravo likes this.
  15. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

This is NOT correct:the European version of the box(issued by Virgin/EMI)has the (then newly remixed)hybrid Stereo/SACD CDs plus the 5.1. mixes(plus bonus material+Interviews) in both Dolby Surround and DTS on DVD!

It is the American Box(issued by Rhino/Atlantic)that has the (then)new mixes on CD plus the 5.1.mix on DVD(plus the other stuff mentioned above).

Trying to acquire a proper "European" box on Ebay these days is quite an undertaking as most sellers will try selling you the US box for quite a steep price!

A proper "European" box will cost you about USD$ 200.- at least!!

Zongadude,you might have bought your box in Europe,but you were sold a US one..........

zobalob and Plan9 like this.
  16. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

The SACD/CDDVD version of the box was not made available in the US. Rhino Records opted to only release the set as a CD/DVD combo siting low demand in the US for the SACD format.
    You could get the NTSC DVD version of the box from Asia as an import. I purchased mine from Amazon/Japan at the time.

danielbravo likes this.
  17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, that slide show is a real treat, giving us some idea of what the show must have looked like. And though the stereo remixes with that set stink, the 5.1 mixes are listenable.

18. frank3si

Wow, I just checked out some prices on that box - :doh: Well, hopefully the blu ray will be coming, with the slide show as well...

19. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

It sucks that, with the remixes replacing the definitive remasters, for a time they were only available in the box set and now with the box set out of print those albums aren't in print at all. At least not in the US.

20. frank3si

Yes, I consider Lamb to be a landmark album in rock history, so it's surprising to me that this is the case. But then again, a lot of things I think are important don't rate highly with others :laugh:

danielbravo and Alternative4 like this.
  21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The stereo remix is a disgrace, the surround is acceptable, and the slide show is really well-done, the best part of the set, maybe.

Tristero and JakeM like this.
  22. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Did the Japanese version have the slide show? Listings I have seen of it indicate it does not. Do I understand it right that there is currently no way to purchase the Lamb CD/DVD with the slide show outside of the 1970-75 boxset? Glad I at least got to see The Musical Box tribute band do the full Lamb show with slides since I was too young to see the original...

Artofcode likes this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Since the box came out the only way I have heard the Lamb is 5.1 with slide show on (as well as once as played live by The Musical Box). Not something I ever put on as a casual listen. If I'm gonna put it on, I'm gonna get in the optimal seating position, put the screen on, and give it my all to really get it.

(Then I'm gonna scratch my head and think "I'm still not sure I really get it.")

Artofcode and The Slipperman like this.
  24. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Yeah, The SACD/CD/DVD editions contained the same DVD as the US version. The difference was the SACD/CD which was a dual layered disc. So, if you listened to the SACD you did not see the slide show. But the DVD had it.

danielbravo likes this.
  25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

On both the Japanese and European DVD's you get exactly the same presentation.
    So if what you mean by the "slideshow" is the changing artwork while the 23 tracks are playing, this is identical on both DVDs.
    Another point of note is even though the Japanese DVD is marked NTSC and the European DVD is marked PAL, they are both region free. In other words, identical data content in every way.
    And yes, It is an awesome presentation.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    danielbravo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.