Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" - seeking 5.1 info, please...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frank3si, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProgDave74

ProgDave74 Forum Resident

I am pretty sure that stereo remixes of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England, and the Lamb have recently been reissued as individual CDs in the US. I do believe the 5.1 and original stereo mixes are out of print. Was hoping we'd see a 40th anniversary reissue with all the mixes on Blu-Ray last year, but it didn't happen.

Also, I'm not sure if SACD is worth the extra money over DTS 5.1. I know that DTS is lossy and all, and this is pretty much blasphemy, but procuring the SACDs are realy expensive in the US.

2. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Now I just need to find somewhere to buy it individually. Amazon and ebay seem to be of no help here.

3. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

You can still get the Rhino green box set, 13 discs (including the DVD you want) for $159 +$3.99 p/p.
    That is what I would do if I needed the disc. You would easily will get your money back on this set on eBay if you ever needed .
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...eywords=the+lamb+lies+down+on+broadway+cd+dvd

4. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ended up getting a copy there earlier today for a bit more than that, but I liked the description by the seller which specifically referred to the 5.1, all the pieces, the exact condition of everything, etc. Can't wait! Hopefully it will keep its value but right now, I'm more interested in enjoying the content :agree: Not sure how I missed this in the first place, but then again it seems like *everything* is coming out these days so it can be hard to keep track of it all...

wolfram likes this.
  5. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

careful buying the boxes used. there was a major pressing difficulty and a lot of the lamb sets were shipped with the dvd being a duplicate of the trespass dvd. got at least 3 like that over the last couple years. make sure the seller double checks for you.

frank3si likes this.
  6. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

is this the U.S./Rhino box or the E.U./Virgin box?

7. frank3si

It was already shipped by the time I saw your message. So, hopefully it will sort out OK upon arrival... Thanks for the warning, though.

8. frank3si

Are the stereo mixes on the CDs in the box set original mixes or remixes? And do the DVDs in the box set have 5.1 and new stereo remixes?

9. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Weren't there multiple video versions of all the Genesis remasters? IIRC, there were CD/SACD +CD/DVD-A sets, but the video was different region coding even among the Euro SACD sets. Some were Region 0 while some were Region 2. I remember it was absurd trying to find what was what. The earlier box sets had something like 4 or 5 different versions.

10. frank3si

This is starting to sound like sorting through The Doors' catalog. For them I actually wrote up a document to remind me of what release is what - just chaotic :rolleyes:

11. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

I used to have BOTH box sets;I have kept the European version by Virgin/EMI:

The DVD in the latter ist NOT a DVD-A but a DVD-V and DOES NOT have ANY regional encoding!

There are only TWO versions:one(CD(remix)+DVD-A for surround(remix) and visual material) for the US market,and one(hybrid CD(remixed CD/SACD layer+DVD 5.1./DTS 5.1.surround plus visual material) for Europe(and the "rest of the world").

What is so difficult about it????

ALL other claims are NOT correct!!

Get informed BEFORE you claim!!

12. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

DVD-V(ideo) in each box,of course!! Corrections inserted!

13. ProgDave74

The stereo mixes on the CDs (and SACDs where appropriate) are remixes. This is true of all versions of the box set. The DVDs on all versions include the 5.1 mixes (lossy DTS/Dolby Digital). My recollection is that they do NOT have a stereo track at all, but I am not 100% sure. I recently moved, so I can't confirm without a lot of unpacking :)

frank3si likes this.
  14. ProgDave74

What you call "rest of the world" CD/SACD & DVD version comes in NTSC vs. PAL versions. Most of us in the USA want SACD and NTSC, which is much rarer than either SACD/PAL or CD-only/NTSC.

By the way, this was an extremely rude post.

ti-triodes and Bemsha like this.
  15. frank3si

Cheers - explanation appreciated! :righton:

ProgDave74 likes this.
  16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The UK "PAL" versions of the DVDs should work in NTSC players, as the discs are misleadingly region free.

danielbravo likes this.
  17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Interesting. I have a region free player so I never had to pay attention. I'll have to try them in another player.

18. ProgDave74

PAL vs. NTSC is a completely different concept from regions, though the two are correlated. US standard is Region 1 NTSC. European standard is Region 2 PAL. Japanese standard is Region 2 NTSC. So even though the discs are region free, there is still potential NTSC vs. PAL compatibility issues. I believe US customers who wanted SACD AND NTSC sought out the Japanese versions to avoid any conflicts.

That said...my understanding is that hardware has more flexibility around PAL vs. NTSC than they did when DVDs first came out in the late 1990s. I understand most PAL players can play NTSC (though the opposite is not necessarily true), and computer drives are likely to read either.

In any case, before spending too much on a set, I'd recommend checking if it's PAL or NTSC, and checking to see if your hardware is capable of playing it. I'd hate to see someone spending a lot and then not being able to play it!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. frank3si

My "new" box arrived, and I'm happy to report the Lamb... checks out as it should. Very much looking forward to seeing the images accompanying the music, as I saw the Lamb tour twice and was amazed how the images stuck in my mind despite the passage of decades. I did see Musical Box do the album, and recognized a surprising number of the images.

CBC, Tristero, zobalob and 2 others like this.
  20. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

The answer you are looking for: Yes, only available in sacd 2008. Get it? Difficult unless you're willing to pay from 260 back to 300 dollars. Depending of the conditions of the sacd...I have all in its Japanese version in mini-lps

Like you, my favorite Genesis album is The Lamb ... (and probably the one I like more than my entire record collection in general)

[​IMG]

Here they are, the only one of them on shm-cd is "Live". These are a favorite in my collection.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    frank3si likes this.
  21. The Slipperman

So does that Lamb in your picture have the DVD?

22. danielbravo

They are OOP!

23. danielbravo

YES! each one contains SACD / DVD. Every SACD is contained in the mini-lp. In a small separate envelope is the DVD. Each one replicates the original art of orginal Lp with all extra promotional material for the date

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  24. danielbravo

CORRECTO!!!! This is the correct information.

frank3si likes this.
  25. The Slipperman

Unbelievable how much money those go for, I really should have bought the 1970-75 box set for under $100 when I saw it a while back.

danielbravo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.