Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" - seeking 5.1 info, please...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frank3si, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

head_unit and MikeVielhaber like this.
  2. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's "bargain," and then there's BARGAIN. :agree:

audiomixer likes this.
  3. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Seriously. Who cares what region it is, whether it's PAL or NTSC, or DVD-A or SACD. Just click the friggen buy it now button! :D

audiomixer likes this.
  4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I still have these sealed & unopened since I already had the SACD sets. Just sitting on them...:D

ti-triodes likes this.
  5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Wait a few years and you can probably put your kids through college for what they will sell for. Unless someone gets the bright idea to let Steven Wilson fix these things. Then they'll be doorstops. ;)

6. dachada

dachada Senior Member

the Genesis: In Concert 76 movie was aired by VH1 without the silent movies funny parts. was this unedited movie released on DVD or other media?

7. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

A Trick Of The Tail (sacd/dvd Europe release or cd/dvd Us release) as bonus material on the dvd.

8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Not as far as I know. Genesis just rehashed the edit with the silent movie stuff.

9. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I wasn't aware any version without the silent movie parts existed, would love to see it. That stuff absolutely ruined the In Concert '76 movie for me. Does anyone who may have witnessed the '76 concerts back in the day remember if this footage was displayed on a screen or something during the show, it just doesn't seem to fit with the music at all.

10. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just bought a sealed copy of the box for this period - I saw both the Bruford and the Thompson 1970s era tours. If the footage rings any bells when I see it, I'll report back.

11. The Slipperman

Thanks I will be interested to hear your report! I remember seeing this concert movie on USA Network's Night Flight in the late '80s but can't remember if it had the silent movie footage or not.

12. dachada

dachada Senior Member

I still have the Genesis: In Concert 76 Japan Laser Disc but I am looking for the complete concert without the silent movie parts. Maybe there is a unedited version for TV station for copyrights reason
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  13. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Here's how much I payed for my CD/DVD sets and the day that I bought them. I'm doing this to put the price range in perspective:

Genesis: 1970-1975 = $111.79 (brand new/sealed on Amazon, Aug. 20, 2013)
    Genesis: 1976-1982 = $213.08 :yikes: (used on Amazon, Dec. 8, 2013)
    Genesis: 1983-1998 = $37.26 (used at local shop, June 25, 2013)
    Total = $362.13

Generally, the red box can be purchased quite inexpensively if you look in the right places. The Gabriel box seems to be out of print now and is getting almost as pricey as the blue box. The blue box is outrageously overpriced, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a hardcore fan or if you can find it for less than $200. I'll get around to buying the live box sets soon, but they seem too expensive for what they contain.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  14. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

You could get the live box dirt cheap for a long time, probably because serious collectors were staying away. I found the stereo SQ to be some of the best of all the boxes. Maybe they actually listened to all the justified complaining about the earlier boxes.

sound chaser likes this.
  15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I quite like the live box overall, probably the best of the whole series. The Gabriel era set is worth it for all of the video content alone, and I like some of the 5.1 mixes, but the mastering and the stereo remixes were horrid. Like you, I wish that they'd let S. Wilson take a crack at the old Genesis classics--including flat transfers of the original mixes--but I'm not holding my breath.

CBC, sound chaser and ti-triodes like this.
  16. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I have read in many posts here that some do not like the remasters (and remixes) from 2008. I like them a lot, especially those of the Gabriel era. With them I heard details that were inaudible in previous versions. Respect the opinion of those who do not like them...It is a matter of taste.

frank3si likes this.
  17. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Compared to what the original records sounded like when they were released, I found the 2008 box set of the Gabriel era albums a revelation.
    Not to mention all the crackles and pops my original LP's developed from constant playing on the turntable which ultimately made them very unpleasant to listen to.

danielbravo and MikeVielhaber like this.
  18. ProgDave74

ProgDave74 Forum Resident

A complete concert without the "silent movie" parts has never been released or screened. If VH1 didn't show the "silent movie" parts, it must have been an even shorter edit. Supposedly the producer/director has (or at least had at one time) unscreened film but there's never been a satisfactory financial arrangement to get in released

19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

No one is knocking the opinion of anyone for liking the 2008 remasters. For my money Genesis has never sounded good on CD. I can't even understand those who like the original CD's, they were a rush job to capitalize on the CD craze of the 80's. The next round of remasters fixed nothing and the 2008 Davis remasters are legendary for better or worse (much worse IMO).

Genesis has NEVER sounded as good on digital as it does on vinyl.

20. The Slipperman

The trick is finding good vinyl, really annoys me that they finally do a vinyl re-release series and it's the 2008 mixes. All the Genesis vinyl I have picked up used is in poor condition with a ton of pops. Did finally get a Seconds Out LP in decent quality and that is superior to the '94 remaster, the only CD of Seconds Out I have to compare with.

ti-triodes likes this.
  21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I've been seeing a bit of Japanese vinyl lately in the used record stores. They seem to hold up better than the US crap that's been played to death. Probably been better taken care of. I'm not sure of every release out there, but I got some great pressings of Trick and W&W.

22. Artofcode

Artofcode New Member

My wife and I saw The Musical Box do the Selling England show back in the '90s. It was amazing. I always wanted to see them do Lamb, and compare it to the original tour. That was the only time I saw Genesis with Gabriel.

23. Artofcode

Artofcode New Member

I still have all my LPs through Lamb (even From Genesis to Revelations). All of them in pretty good shape! I sold off the later records. Now I regret it.

24. Artofcode

Artofcode New Member

I was looking for this box set back in 2015, but didn't come across this forum - or the box set. Now I see it is available. At a very hefty price! Bummer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.