Genesis Trespass: Is there a good sounding version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grbl, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grbl

grbl Just Lurking Thread Starter

I like this album a lot. I'm a huge PG Genesis fan, but I have to say, as strong as the songs are, I've never had a version of this album that sounded good. I have it on lp (MCA ABCX-816 - a ton of surface noise) and I have 2 cd versions, the DE and the original MCA. The DE is no noised to death, and the MCA has a ton of tape hiss and sounds like it was made from an inferior tape.

Is there a good sounding version out there somewhere??

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I think the original UK Virgin/Charisma cd sounds great.

3. grbl

I've heard that one. I don't think it sounds geat at all. I used to have it. I think the MCA beats it, and the MCA ain't great.

4. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I've got an early UK Charisma LP and Canadian MCA LP. Both sound muddy but the UK is more transparant mud. Not a great recording.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Really? The gray cropped-cover one?

6. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

So do I, but for some reason "Looking For Someone" doesn't sound as hot as the rest of it. By the time you get to "Dusk," however, it sounds wonderful.

My preferred version.

7. grbl

Every version I've heard sounds better by the end than it did at the beginning. There was a thread comparing cd versions a while back and i thought the end result was that the UK Charisma wasn't much different from the MCA. Some preferred the Charisma, some preferred the MCA, but the differences seemed to be relatively small. Do I have it right or is my memory all muddled on this one?

8. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

They are drastically different.

The original Virgin/Charisma sounds a bit muffled at first, but it really is the clear winner here by a mile. The MCA has some type of top end boost that makes it sound like a delight at first, but it really doesn't sound right upon further listening. I feel bad that I praised this one at one time and I know some people went for it and thought it blew the DE away, but Phil Elliot convinced me to rebuy it after his writings on it continued to praise it. And there is no question to me that he is correct about this one. The V/C is the way to go.

I once compared a 1981 Japanese vinyl pressing to the Virgin/Charisma and they were very similar in tone. The MCA didn't sound a thing like it. It's sort of a fun ride, but my guess is that a very strange production tape was pulled to make that one. Anybody have the original MCA vinyl for comparison?

bleachershane likes this.
  9. grbl

I'm afraid I'm one of those people that bought the MCA based on that thread. I had the Charisma many years ago and got rid of it. Wasn't crazy about it at the time (now I don't really remember why). I have to say, I don't like the MCA or the DE. Do I now need to find the Charisma again (wish I hadn't sold it - at least 10-12 years ago), or is this just a bad sounding recording in any version?

10. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The original US vinyl pressing on the Impulse label is the best I've heard. I've never heard a good CD pressing at all, even the original Virgin with the cropped cover.

11. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

There may be better versions, but this is in general poor recording IMO.

Bemsha and bleachershane like this.
  12. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

US Impulse is pretty hard to find; I think the US Charisma (pink scroll label) is similar.

Clue: it sounds a lot brighter and clearer than any UK pressing. This may be judicious EQ, or may reflect poor listening system balance during the UK mastering and QC. All the UK copies I've got have a muffled sound like it's being played with pillows over your ears.

13. claypool

claypool New Member

Yep, the original V/C Trespass sounds pretty good. No complaints here.

14. grbl

What's the catalogue number on the original UK Virgin/Charisma?

15. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

CASCD 1020.
    I've got one and happy with its sound.

16. grbl

Is that the same as CASCDX1020, or is that the DE?

17. grbl

Never mind. I just confirmed that CASCDX1020 is the DE.

18. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

My copy is 1st pressing. Made in UK, 1985.
    CASCDX1020? Virgin CASDX 1020 - is 1994 remastered CD. Can't tell you anything about CASCDX1020... :shake:

19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Depends on what one considers good. My Japanese pressing is substantially better than my UK version or US versions. I think it sounds great but the recording does have a substantial sonic signature.

20. grbl

Are you talking about vinyl or cd?

21. grbl

I think I scored a copy of the original Virgin/Charisma on line. I'm looking forward to hearing if this is better than the cd versions I have.

22. rsub8

rsub8 New Member

In case it's of any interest, the Genesis "Platinum Collection" has a brand new remix of The Knife that really shines. I have a copy of the U.K. version of the disc. (Pity that there wasn't more material from Trespass used in the set.)

The remixes of the other old material also come off well. There's a sound sample of The Knife from the Genesis Platinum Collection disc at Amazon, that you can listen to.

From a review: "Gabriel's vocals are crisp and clear, and the entire band finally is in the room. Lyrics in The Knife are intelligible and riveting, and the last few phrases of that song stand prescient and chilling, given current events."

23. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

vinyl

24. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I have a Japanese (vinyl) pressing from 1978 that sounds pretty great, given the source material. I mean, this *is* a dark and murky recording, but all of that darkness and murkiness comes through clear as a bell.

the_redgrin and SM1985 like this.
  25. pjaizz

pjaizz Forum Resident

I'll 2nd that!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.