Gentle Giant: 3 Friends on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Those Line cd's are, at least for those of us who love that warm, analogue sound.

2. Really? Even worse than the last two albums? I find that hard to believe... I mean I have rarely met a GG fan who didn't enjoy at least side two of tMP...

That's sad news to me anyway, as I am a fan of this album and it's in a dire need of a remix...

Pete Puma likes this.
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I don't know, that's what I have been told, a bit of exaggeration for effect maybe. Personally, I prefer Civilian to TMP.

4. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Columbia edition of 3F is the one I already have. It's okay, but the bass is kind of overwarm, and it can sound a bit artificial. I'm banking on the Alucard having more integrity.

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I would invest elsewhere if I were you, the Alucard remasters are compressed.

6. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I also have the Columbia cd issue.. sound quality seems decent to my (admittedly not very audiophile) ears, but the track marker is off for the last track, Three Friends (actually starts in the middle of Mr. Class and Quality). Great record though, this is my personal favorite GG album.

yesstiles likes this.
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Some are more compressed than others. For Three Friends, the 2011 Alucard (not to be confused for the 35th Anniversary remasters which were pretty dire) is the best I have heard this album sound. The self-titled also is no slouch.

dennis the menace likes this.
  8. Alan2

Too late, it's ordered.( And see Plan9's comment above).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    FVDnz likes this.
  9. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I have the Alucard of Glass House and personally was not overwhelmed with the dynamics. I have not heard the BGO versions. I still prefer the sound of the old Line CDs when it comes to the first GG albums and it would take something out of the ordinary to change my view.:cool:

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Are you referring to the 35th Anniversary editions (with the sleeves?). The Alucard Three Friends being discussed here is not from that series.

11. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I was talking about the alucard remaster.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Ah, OK then I guess we disagree. I haven't found it to sound compressed.

dennis the menace likes this.
  13. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Damn, I really need to pick this up. Was hoping eBay might have one available but I'm seeing this Nuovo version even though the same bonus tracks appear to be present.

14. Alan2

Update: it arrived badly damaged and I returned it. So i still only hav e the Columbia.

15. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

There's no Alucard release of the debut. Are you thinking of the Repertoire?

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Oh yes, sorry about that. My comment for the 3F Alucard stands.

JediJoker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.