Gentle Giant - In A Glass House. Alucard Remasters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rael, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rael

Rael Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am a bit confused by two relases under Alucard of this album. Both are remasters, earlier one (Gentle Giant - In A Glass House ) looks to be currently in print in europe and the latter one (Gentle Giant - In A Glass House ) is very hard to get. I guess the ALU-GG-010 one is from latest remaster series so i think it uses other mastering then alu-gg-02? what is a story behind this? Did Alucard remastered only one album in 2000 (there are not any other regular studio albums rematsres from this year) and then whole discogrpahy again in 2009? I am a bit puzzeled that the earlier one is easy to get why the latest remasters are very hard to find.

2. Rael

Rael Forum Resident Thread Starter

Really nobody knows anything? I searched through the web and didn't find a single comparision of those two edition. Really puzzling especially the fact that alu-gg-02 looks to be the only one GG relased in this year while the 010 one is part of the series. What would be point in remastering the same album 4 years later again? this bring me to suspect that the 2009 used same master as 2009 one (after all it is the same label) but I did not dind any confirmation about this :/

3. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Hi there - I know that in 2009, there were remasters done of several GG albums by EMI/Alucard. This was a single campaign and the titles were released, if memory serves, in one or two batches. I'm 99% sure (and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the 2000 Alucard master was done as an individual title, and had nothing to do with EMI. These two masterings of this title are therefore likely to be different, but I haven't heard either one because I'm happy with my '90s RGF copy. Hopefully someone more familiar with them can comment.

4. milco

milco Forum Resident

I have the 2000 and the 2009 version. The 2009 Fred Kevorkian remaster has a big, meaty, punchy sound with bold, bouncy bottom end and I absolutely love it. Doubtless there is quite a bit of limiting and some EQ fixes, but it sounds great on my relatively modest hi-fi and, IMO, stops just short of being overly compressed (although I have a fairly high tolerance of such things). The 2000 version, by comparison is a bit drab and lifeless, although some people may prefer it like that.

5. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

I agree, this is the only version I can listen to. There’s something glassy about the guitar on the original disc and the 2000 remaster that make the whole thing very unpleasant to listen to. The 2009 remaster is the only disc (to my ears, anyway) that takes the shrillness out of the upper registers.

fRa likes this.
  6. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I prefer the sound of the 2000 remaster. It sounds nice and smooth on my system, the only glassiness I detect is on the beginning of the first track :p

yesstiles likes this.
  7. milco

milco Forum Resident

Fred Kevorkian himself says of the 'Glass house' tape which he remastered, "In a Glass House” Sounded very bright and mid-rangy (especially for the guitars and the broken glass sound effects.) Thanks to multi-band compression! Hiss was a problem.

So, FK may have 'fixed' the upper-registers problem which HiResGeek can hear. I think the descending electric guitar run at the beginning of 'Runaway' is still a bit shrill and unpleasant on the Kevorkian remaster. Apart from that, though, the guitars sound fine to my ears.

8. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Do the remasters have digital compression/peak limiting for In a Glass House?

9. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Fred Kevorkian's remasters does. But i still prefer it to the 2000 remaster.

HiResGeek likes this.
  10. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

There’s a little limiting on the high end, but I think this is one of those rare cases where it actually helps.

Doctor Flang likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.