Gentle Giant "Three Piece Suite" — Steven Wilson Mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JediJoker, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast Thread Starter

Hold on to your butts...

[​IMG]

Amazon.de has a listing (in German) for a new Gentle Giant release, Three Piece Suite, on CD/Blu-ray—complete with product description! A translation from Progressive Ears:
    Release date: Sept. 29th. Can't wait!

2. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Great! A pity "The Moon is Down" is not among the recovered tracks, though.

3. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast Thread Starter

Agreed. I'm quite partial to side two of Acquiring The Taste and I'm sad to see that none are included. Nevertheless, I'm quite glad that some multis were found and this is being released. I hope they continue to search for other album sessions!

4. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident

So relieved that they at least found the multis to 'Pantagruel's Nativity' and 'Schooldays', my two favourites from those albums..

R E

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Looking forward the the surround mixes and the flat transfers on this.

bluerondo and Plan9 like this.
  6. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Blueray. Sadly no money from me... damn

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Great! Thanks for the news!

Leroyd likes this.
  8. MyNameIsNotSteve

MyNameIsNotSteve Well-Known Member

Awesome! Glad to see they're releasing whatever is possible.

9. Yes, those two are great -plus Mr Class and Quality and Three Friends are two other favorites that will be able to be remixed.

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This is how I feel about stuff that's DVD-only. It's 2017...why are DVD's still even being made?

Glad they're using what's available and compiling them into a single release, where most people wouldn't have even bothered with it at all. This is going to be great.

MRT, JediJoker, formu_la and 2 others like this.
  11. My Denon DVD /SACD player is still a champ and unfortunately predates Blurays. I'll buy this set, but I wish it was a DVD rather than bluray -my ears can't tell the difference anyway.

12. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Looking forward to this. So sad that so many original master multis have disappeared/deteriorated over time.

mark winstanley, bluerondo and walrus like this.
  13. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Hard as it is for guys like us who frequent enthusiast forums to believe but DVD's still outsell BD's. The vast majority of people don't care about picture or audio quality. Even though you can get a cheap blu-ray player for well under $100, most people don't care.

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. walrus

I get that for regular movies and TV shows and...normal people things. But a product like this seems like it's made for the kind of people who do care, or at least an audience that presumably would have upgraded their player at some point in the last ten years, since you'd need a home theater setup to enjoy it anyways.

15. walrus

The missing multitracks for Going For The One and Drama are the ones that really kill me. :cry:

JediJoker, Hamhead, bluerondo and 4 others like this.
  16. Home theater can use DVDs too. And I can rip DVD content, unlike BD. Yeah I didn't upgrade my computer drive either.

17. Looks cool. I'm buying. Wish that they had found all of the multi's for this though.

I do find it ironic though that folks don't want to buy Bd--I don't replace stuff on the BD format unless it's something I don't want to watch more than once. BD players are cheap and I do care about image quality.

mark winstanley and formu_la like this.
  18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

If you had a BD drive in your computer, you could rip them too. It's a two step process so not as easy as DVDs but doable.

walrus likes this.
  19. walrus

All my BD's are ripped. I actually don't have a player, just a cheap $40 drive hooked up to my Mac for ripping. Honestly, it's hard to watch 480p content anymore, it looks so bad and pixelated, especially live concerts with lots of fast moving lights and such. I almost miss my VHS tapes. Almost.

stereoptic likes this.
  20. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

I'm glad most of "Three Friends" multitracks were found. That album sounds quite abysmal. On the contrary the first two albums sound great as is so it's not such a tragedy. Looking forward to this!

bluerondo and Pete Puma like this.
  21. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

A Steven Wilson "Drama" would be fantastic!

But on topic, bummed that they couldn't recover more from the first two albums. Never been too fond of Three Friends. I'll definitely get this either way, if only for Pantagruel

22. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Sad that so many multis haven't survived. Their first album remains my favorite and would've been thrilled to listen to Alucard and Funny Ways in surround sound. I guess that with this release and the available issues of these albums no future purchase can replace the existing ones until now, so this is the end of those I guess.

Thanks for the heads up.

mark winstanley and Octowen like this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not deteriorated but most likely erased and used for a different recording.

24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm tempted, but won't all of this be included in the promised complete box set?

25. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

my favorite is when it is a hundred dollar plus boxset, and the complaint is that they don't wanna buy a blu ray player. if you have the spare change for a giant music boxset you can probably find a hundred to get a damn blu ray player.

I understand there are some people who have dvdA players in their car or something who might have more reasonable complaints but to me that is also like having a old car with a cassette deck (which I do) and wishing everything included a cassette copy...

but the monetary argument doesn't fly anymore.

I am excited for this release but also think I will wait a bit for the news on the big box which will hopefully include it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.